velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjockscum
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010

• CommentAuthorwes m.

I tested it today. I was impressed by the routes it selected.
    • CommentAuthoreloteman

bout time!
    • CommentAuthorVama

how is it that they are differing from the walking maps? it would be cool to factor in grades.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

YESSSS! I was actually talking about this with a friend yesterday.
    • CommentAuthorjockscum

Posted By: Vamahow is it that they are differing from the walking maps? it would be cool to factor in grades.

If there is possible bike lanes it picks that, I think... I would like if google put on an explanation... anyone have anything on that?

I was interested to see it didn't map me on main 35mph roads but instead on short cutting 25mph residential streets... kind of a nice ride to work today.
    • CommentAuthorVama

ahh, I see that it's supposed to avoid hilly sections as well. I did test it to see if it showed the wiggle in SF but it did not. at least it didn't tell me to ride right up haight tho!
    • CommentAuthorSL wheeler

I think it also limits the amount of busy intersections and stop lights.
    • CommentAuthorVama

nice. do they have a press release about it anywhere?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

The big question is: Will this be incorporated into all the services using the Google Map API? I've been using MapMyRide for nearly three years; it includes altitude/slope info, but it often doesn't follow bike paths that aren't full-on roads. The party line from MMR has always been that they use Google's API; if Google now respects bike paths, then all services using the API should do the same.

More experiments are necessary...unfortunately, MMR doesn't map out startpoint-endpoint routes on its own, so I can check.
    • CommentAuthors3l1n4

cool!!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010 edited

Posted By: eaglerockThe big question is: Will this be incorporated into all the services using the Google Map API? I've been usingMapMyRidefor nearly three years; it includes altitude/slope info, but it often doesn't follow bike paths that aren't full-on roads. The party line from MMR has always been that they use Google's API; if Google now respects bike paths, then all services using the API should do the same.

More experiments are necessary...unfortunately, MMR doesn't map out startpoint-endpoint routes on its own, so I can check.

MMR now follows the Los Gatos creek bike trail. It hadn't done this when I was on there a few months ago. Looks like MMR will be a huge beneficiary of googles new bike-friendliness.
    • CommentAuthorjburnha
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010

Yeah I dont know. I just checked my morning commute and I think I have tuned it in a bit better than The Google has: first it takes me on some pretty busy streets that normally I'll avoid, and the non-busy streets it takes me on there are numerous speed humps (which my ride/route avoids whenever I can) and thirdly, it suggests 30 minutes of travel time when it actually takes me 16 minutes (on the road bike) but I'll take that as a compliment, hah! ...This might be nice where/when its been tuned in but like other riders, we choose routes for very specific reasons (hell, there is a sewer grate that I avoid in a particular spot in the city because I don't want to breath in the waste-smell/germs!). Also, If I weren't in the midwest I could see how the complaint about grades and altitudes and whatnot apply...
    Posted By: jburnhaYeah I dont know. I just checked my morning commute and I think I have tuned it in a bit better than The Google has: first it takes me on some pretty busy streets that normally I'll avoid, and the non-busy streets it takes me on there are numerous speed humps (which my ride/route avoids whenever I can) and thirdly, it suggests 30 minutes of travel time when it actually takes me 16 minutes (on the road bike) but I'll take that as a compliment, hah! ...This might be nice where/when its been tuned in but like other riders, we choose routes for very specific reasons (hell, there is a sewer grate that I avoid in a particular spot in the city because I don't want to breath in the waste-smell/germs!). Also, If I weren't in the midwest I could see how the complaint about grades and altitudes and whatnot apply...

Yeah, I doubt Googles takes into consideration when mapping a route the number of speed bumps, busy streets (because that really depends on time of day), altitudes, and odd smells coming from sewer drains. Haha. Beggars can't be choosers.
    Hopefully it will steer clear of dirt roads. I hate when I gmap something out and realize mid-ride one of the roads is dirt.
    Ive been waiting for this! Woohoo
    • CommentAuthorowierjilin
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010

pretty awesome.
    That's great. I'll have to try it out. I've been using "Walking" for quite a while.
    Ours is missing some new stuff that's gone in since last autumn. It's actually much more expansive now.

But this is where I go!
    Hmmm... well, I tested it, and it doesn't seem to work terribly well.

I mapped the route I ride to work. When I ride, my bike computer (a cheapie wired one)says the route is 7.9 miles. Google maps had me take about 10 unnecessary turns and was 8.6 miles. Really, an extra 3/4 miles? What for?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.