velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010

So anyway I think these are really pretty... I was going to pick up last year's fuji track for really cheap as a beater bike but I came across the feather in a shop window in SJ the other day while I was on a lunch break at work (they're short so I didn't get a chance to go in) and I really liked it aesthetically... cheap enough so that I could justify actually buying one, as I'm going to buy a second bike soon but don't want one that either is a) too expensive or tricked out for what I'll be using it for (commuting and fun riding) or b) with components that are so crappy either functionally or aesthetically that I'll end up dumping a ton of money into replacing components right after I buy the thing. so, anyone ridden one? thoughts? seems like a lot of the components are fuji-branded and I have no idea how good or bad their stock parts are. but in any case, it is sending me strong "buy-me!" vibes - if I find someplace in the city that has them I'll go test ride them when I have a chance but just wondered if anyone here had any opinions one way or the other.
    What price can you get it for? tbh I dont think it's much of a jump in quality over Kilo TTs. I rode one, and I wouldnt pay more than $450 for it. And I love Fujis too; I even wanted to get a Feather for a bit. Not sure what about it makes it so porky, but it's pretty heavy. Maybe the fake-V's on it.
    • CommentAuthorVama

haven't done any serious shopping yet, but ~580 is the last price I think I saw. the used fujis were 250-400. the tt's really leave me cold aesthetically, and not in a I'm-gonna-look-great-at-the-cafe way, more of a hey-ride-me! way. OTOH, in terms of practicality, I'm suggesting the tt to my roommate as an affordable first-fixed choice. being pretty enough to motivate me to get off my ass and ride places is worth a little more (but not if it rides like shit), ya know?
    :) oh, it certainly doesn't ride like shit, it's a fine bike. I'm just picky. The stock ratio is a little wonky, 46-15. If you went for it I'd say switch to a 16 or 17t cog. If you really want the Fuji Feather, I'd wait until they go on sale. Most stores should sell them for ~500.
    Ive seen the Fuji Feather in all colors in the bike shop they look pretty cool but doesnt look anything different from the Classic Track and I think they could go a little cheaper and the Classic Track is about 100 dollars cheaper
    • CommentAuthorVama

thx, just the kind of feedback I was wanting to hear. my ratio is pretty mellow on my commuter so it'd be nice to play with a drastically different gearing even if I end up changing it, but certainly that's something I've thought about. plus, the commuter is pretty much perfectly set up for what I use it for and the idea of messing with the secondary bike to get different results definitely sounds like a fun project. in any case I'll certainly take one out before I drop cash on it. there just aren't really any other bikes in the price range that I'm willing to pay that really grab me.
    • CommentAuthorVama

I know it's nitpicky but the 08 and 09 tracks look a lot better than the classic track to me - if it was between the feather and the ct I'd just go for a used track from the last couple years.
    Older Fuji Tracks all over the place. If you can stand to wait around for one to come up in your size, you'll probably get a smoking deal.
    • CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010

exactly - if I was tempted by the fuji ct I'd just go for one of the many used completes I see from the last couple of years for dirt cheap - and at 54cm, I'm not exactly an odd size. and while I'd have fun taking the older tracks apart, etc., more looking to get a fun bike that gets me out riding my lazy ass around when I don't have a reason to do so (altho the next one is definitely gonna get tinkered with). I blame the furious posting on VS today completely on my being sick in bed home from work and geeking out on bikes on teh intarwebz instead of riding them (and not my inherent laziness), of course.... :)

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.