velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthornrunyan
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010

does anyone have the incase courier collection messenger bag? and if so, how do you like it. i have been looking at that one and also the chrome citizen. if you have any advice about either one, please feel free to speak up.
    I ride with the Chrome Citizen, nice comfy bag, I had that bag for a year now. Ive ridden that bag through alot of things and is holding up strong, the bag is waterproof, can take a beating so its very durable, the velcro is still like new. The bag has many pockets and isnt too bulky and can hold everything I need (school books tools bike parts and miscellaneous items) so thats my experience with my bag.
    • CommentAuthornrunyan

awesome! that is what i would be using mine for also. does the metal clip give you any troubles?
    Yeah the bag is pretty much perfect size to carry a good amount of things. The buckle I never had trouble with and still clips in new like the first day I bought it
    • CommentAuthorVama

ditto on the chrome bag, with the exception that I have the metropolis (a size up) and sometimes it is a little large... but almost every time I regret getting the big size I end up having to haul something large or move and I'm glad I got it!
    T I M B U K .....................................................................................................................................................2
    I ride with a Chrome Metropolis also. I found the Citizen toooo small. At times the Metropolis is slightly overkill too big, but that's okay.
    • CommentAuthornrunyan
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010

thanks guys. i'm using this back for school, so i doubt i would need something as big as the metropolis. thanks for the quick responses though.
    here's another idea. i've heard very good things about their bags:

http://web.mac.com/chicagowig/www.chicagowig.com/messenger_bags.html

never tried their bags but the knickers are fantastic quality. i think he stopped making them though.
    I have the citizen and it's perfect for when I'm only packing a waterbottle, a sweatshirt and my schoolbooks. But when I have to bring home groceries or carry around extra clothes for oncoming bad weather, it just isn't big enough. It's also kind of a hassle to put my clipless shoes inside of it if I need to walk. If I were to try it again, I would get the metropolitan.

I got the chrome backbone for christmas and I love it. It allows me to carry all of the tools I might need, extra clothes, food, shoes, water, school books, my computer... yada yada yada. I still have more room for stuff if I need it, too.
    Any Chrome bag is the way to go. They are made from U.S. materials in a U.S. factory (I know because I worked in it!).
    I have the incase. I've had it for a few months now, and I have to say that I'm loving it.

Size: It's pretty big and may kinda dwarf you if you're a smaller person, but the size has grown on me (no pun intended). There are times when I don't have that much stuff in my bag and that extra room feels a little useless, but the times when I have filled it up–and I mean filled it up–I've been really grateful for the room. Additionally, when I have had it pretty full, it's been a joy to carry.

Details: If God truly is in the details, God is in this bag because everything is sooo nicely put together. To start with the bad, there are only two things I have issues with: first off, the stash pocket on the outside of the flap isn't totally waterproof. The zipper may be, but because it's not lined with that waterproof nylon like the main compartment, some stuff of mine did get a little wet in some pouring rain. Not a big deal. Secondly, there are so many pockets, that I question the usefulness of some of them. That's also not a big deal. Onto the good: laptop compartment is fantastic. It's really nicely integrated into the bag. Next, the buckles in the front are really easy to use and become second nature in a day or two; pull one to tighten, pull the other to automatically loosen. The padding on the strap is also really nice. Now, this is the first mess bag that I've ever owned so, sadly, I can't compare it to any others but I'm finding it really comfy. Off the bike, it does start to hurt my shoulder a little bit because all the pressure is on one shoulder, but I'm sure it's the same with other bags, too. That being said, if you don't have too much in the bag, the shoulder pressure is easily manageable. On the bike, it's a dream, though. Bending over a little distributes the weight over your back and with the nicely padded strap, it's hard to remember that it's there sometimes.

In my opinion, the only reasons not to buy this bag would be the size and the price. Do I think it's worth it? I'm pretty sure it is. Why would size be a deciding factor? It's pretty darn big and could be considered ridiculous. However, I've started to like the size more and more, and the extra room has given me a lot of options. Additionally, even when it's not very full, it cinches down really nicely and the extra space is unnoticeable. Bottom line: if the size and money don't matter to you, I'd highly recommend this bag to you. I have a lot more that I could say about this bag so if you have any questions, please ask away.

Here's a great review by a blogger, by the way. He has the skate messenger, but the bags are similar enough to make his review quite useful:

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2010/02/review_incase_skate_messenger.php

Hope I helped!
    I really like this bag, I had it for over a year now and put a lot of miles on it and it's still in amazing condition.

http://www.cocotte-equip.com/english/items/alfredo.html
    JANSPORT knapsack!
    Posted By: RabidUnicornI have the incase. I've had it for a few months now, and I have to say that I'm loving it.

Hope I helped!

That bag fits all my needs for pack + board holder. Thank you for the review and links.
    • CommentAuthorespertron
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010

You've probably heard enough about Chrome by now but I wanted to chip in; I bought the Metropolis about 5 years ago, used it a lot for 1 year, found that most of the time is was just dwarfing me and far too big - (I'm a 5'6" medium/slim build woman).

But I loved the build quality so the next time I went to CA I bought the Citizen (too expensive to get them shipped to the UK at the time but now they're more common here). I've used the Citizen way more, it's seen pretty much constant use for the last 4 years and it still looks great. No threads coming loose, velcro still great, clips all sound, nothing wrong with it. Occasionally though, I'm really glad I have that Metropolis in the back of my wardrobe, boy can that thing hold a lot of gear...

I freaking love Chrome, and since their bags are so good I decided to give their shoes a go. Just as good! Won't need any new shoes for a looooooong time...
    • CommentAuthornrunyan

thanks for all of the advice! i think i am leaning more towards the chrome citizen. the only thing that really makes me look at the incase as opposed to the chrome is the nice laptop sleeve. i carry my laptop with me a lot since i'm at school, have you guys or girls with the chrome bags had any trouble carrying laptops along?
    • CommentAuthorespertron

I take my macbook pro to work everyday in my Chrome Citizen, there's still plenty of room for shoes and a lunchbox. I do keep the macbook in a Tucano neoprene sleeve to protect it, but other than that, it's fine just lumped in there with everything else... Dedicated laptop sleeves built in to bags are overrated.
    • CommentAuthornrunyan

haha k thanks
    Today I just got my Chrome Metropolis bag and it is more comfortable than the citizen and soooo much room!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.