velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorkirke
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010 edited

I have posted this on the Bike Forums Classic and Vintage section as well, but sometimes I like Velospace better so I hope people enjoy!

This thread is to document the build of my 1971 Mercian frameset. This is my first attempt at anything approaching a "period correct" restoration, and I am very excited about completing the bike and taking it out for a spin (yes, it will be ridden)!

First a little history:
    I purchased this frameset on Houston Craigslist about two years ago. I needed an around the town bike and turned in into a fixed gear (I know, I know...). It looked like this:

The frame had lots of dents in it, and the bottom bracket threads had been retapped from British to Italian. The BB shell had so much material shaved off the faces that it took some luck the get a BB/crankset to work. I figured I would do a fixed gear conversion and salvage the frame from the trash.
    Well, I liked the bike alot. It rode great. But, I hated the paint job. The top tube had been repainted a pearl blue at some point which did not match the original blue head tube and seat tube panels, so I went ahead and got a local contact to repaint the frame for me. Then the bike looked like this:

Well, I stumbled upon a real track frame and moved most of the parts from the Mercian over to that. So, I had to figure out what to do with this great riding frame I had lying around. Thats when I decided to restore it to near-original condition.

After two years of collecting circa-1971 parts, I took the plunge this past October and sent the frame back the the Mercian factory in Derby, England to have the bottom bracket shell replaced and get a fresh coat of paint. Here is what it looks like now:

Mercian perfectly recreated the original bottom bracket shell and painted it beautiful british racing green enamel with white head tube and seat tube panels. I sourced reproduction Reynolds 531 decals that are period correct for the frame.

Here are the specs on the frameset itself:
    1971 Mercian
    Serial Number 5971 making it the 59th frame built in 1971
    Most likely a King of Mercia (touring version)
    Reynolds 531
    Campagnolo fork ends and rear dropouts

All the parts sitting in the front room:

Here is the breakdown on everything:
    Campagnolo Nuovo Record headset
    Campagnolo Nuovo Record bottom bracket
    Campagnolo Nuovo Record 170mm crankset (52/42 Nuovo Record chainrings, steel Patent Campagnolo dust caps)
    Campagnolo Nuovo Record front derailleur
    Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur (Pat. 72)
    Campagnolo Nuovo Record clamp-on downtube shifters (w/ red Campagnolo covers)
    Campagnolo stainless steel FD and RD housing
    Campagnolo Nuovo Record high-flange 36-hole hubs (flat quick release skewers)/ DT Swiss spokes/Super Champion Mod. 58 700c rims
    Suntour New Winner 5-speed freewheel (13-22)
    Cinelli 1A 130mm stem (old logo)
    Cinelli 64-40 Giro d’Italia handlebar (old logo w/ red Tressostar cloth tape, Velox bar plugs)
    Campagnolo Record 27.2 two-bolt seatpost
    Brooks B-17 Special saddle
    Weinmann Vainqueur 999 brakeset (610 front and 750 rear w/Scott-Mathauser pads)
    Campagnolo brake cable housing
    Campagnolo Nuovo Record pedals (w/ toe strap loop)
    Christophe Special (size L) toe clips w/ “Swamp” toe clip leathers from Japan
    Christophe toe straps (red)
    Challenge Paris-Roubaix 700x27c tires
    Campagnolo top tube brake cable clamps
    Campagnolo rear dropout adjuster screws
    Silca Impero chrome frame pump w/ Campagnolo steel pump head
    Specialites TA Criterium water bottle and cage

The only things not period correct are the Brooks B-17, the Challenge tires, and probably the Suntour freewheel (dont think New Winner was out till the late 1970s)
    The build will also include a set of 43mm fluted Honjo fenders. I considered period-correct Bluemels fenders, but the shiny Honjos will look so much classier, and I do intend to ride the bike,
    so I feel the aluminum Honjos will be more durable.

I started building up the frame yesterday. I am currently installing the Honjo fenders, the front is done, hopefully I will get to the back later tonight. Then its just the cranks, pedals, and setting up cables!

Here is a bad picture of the bike in the stand:

More updates soon!
    DAAAAMN she fine. You know how to craft a bike build, kirke :)
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010

I can tell this is going to be an awesome thread. The first post was well thought out and easy to follow. Unlike mine ;). Good luck! Btw, how's your Soma?
    Sweeeeet that is one nice build.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

the paint job they did for you is amazing. The frame and components look great. I think everyone can agree that bringing this thing back to its 1970 form is the best choice that could be made. Looking forward to the final product.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

This is going to be beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorkirke

Thanks for all the kind words, y'all. The Soma is still in progress - I am waiting for some parts to come in from Velo Orange and then I will complete the build and post it up in the thread.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Awesome, love the frame and the history its been through with you. Amazing parts you've got to put it together - please document the build well and share the rest with us!
    Sweet crackers, kirke, I didn't think I could hate your amazing collection of bikes and dedication to all good things any more than I already do. But I was wrong. A new low, kirke, a new low.

I'm not sure how I feel about the red accents, but everything else looks magnificent.
    • CommentAuthorkirke
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010

Posted By: suicide_doorsA new low, kirke, a new low.

Its a sickness, really.
    • CommentAuthorkirke
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010 edited

Okay. Wow. It's done!

• CommentAuthorkirke
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010

• CommentAuthorkirke

It's really gross and cold and wet in Houston today, but I will probably take it for a quick spin before it gets dark. I will post better pictures when I upload a profile for the bike later.

Thanks for keeping up with the thread everyone! Now time to finish the Soma!

Posted By: kirkeOkay. Wow. It's done!

Bastard.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

for fucks sake.
    i just washed these pants
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010 edited

Posted By: kirkeIt's really gross and cold and wet in Houston today

I know, right? Its fucking 43 over

here.

I was gonna ride the Tour De Houston with my dad and his buddy tomorrow, but those plans got canceled. the winds are gusting to like 32
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

please never complain about it being 42 and cloudy/winding, ever ever again.

its 37 and sunny, i was just out in jeans and a t-shirt. 3 three guys just jogged by my apartment in basketball shorts and short sleeve underarmour thing-a-majigs.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Aaron Cplease never complain about it being 42 and cloudy/winding, ever ever again.

Why not? Cold and sunny is one thing, but its fucking crappy out.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

move up here then you'll know why. the way we (people in general) contextualize hot and cold is hilarious. its a beautiful thing when february/early march comes around and we break 25* for a few days and everyone comes out of the wood work like its 65* and sunny. people will be walking around in shorts and t shirts when it hits 35* (not me-jeans and long sleeve tshirt).

at the same time i can't handle temps over 80-85* drives me batty. my girlfriends parents bought a house in AZ (i know, what a stereotype), and i went a few times this summer.... ugh.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Yeah, people come down here and complain how hot it is when its like 90. I'm complaining because its been nice (lower 70's) here for all of spring break. I was just getting used to the weather and then it goes back to rainy, crappy winter.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.