velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

a friend at a bike shop near me can get me an '09 Jamis Sonik for $1300 out the door.
    it lists for $1775.
    i like it over the Fuji Track Comp, for example, because the fork comes drilled for a brake.

pic for reference:

seems like a pretty good deal; would you go for it?
    There is one on Ebay that I've been watching. The guy had it listed for 1100, and it did not sell. Now he has it listed for 1050, and still no bids. If you total up the parts for the average price they sell for on Ebay, you will see that around the asking price, it's abit high. Wheels are about 300-350 new/used on Ebay. Cranks sell between 150-200. Bars between 50-75. Stem- 10-25. Seat- 30-40. Chain, cog, headset, bartape, etc-50-75.

That puts all the parts on the bike around 650-750 dollars, making the frame around $550.00 bucks, which is pretty standard price for a aluminum frameset like that (comparable to a Fuji Track Pro, etc)

I means, it's a FAIR price, but it's certainly not an amazing deal. Yes, it's hundreds less then retail price, but if you total up the price of everything (not retail, but what it would sell for new on Ebay), it comes out to slightly less then their asking price.
    What size do you ride?
    That's a pretty cool looking bike.
    • CommentAuthorYo
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010

Is this just for the track or are you riding it street?
    • CommentAuthorflatwound

you want to put a brake on this thing? I just don't get it. I would keep this one on the track, personally.
    Because you want to put a brake on it, that tell me that you want this for street use. If this is true, I would advise against it.

Although the fork MAY be drilled for a brake (I'm not certain if this year was or not), The carbon fork has also a carbon steerer tube, which would not be good for street riding.

I would suggest you get something less track specific, and more track/street bike.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010 edited

That's such a hawt looking frameset. My fucking gawd. It would rattle your teeth out on the street tho. But maybe it's worth it... I mean even without teeth, you'd still look hot on it.
    • CommentAuthorvetuv

Dope bike. Like others I wouldn't want to ride it on the street unless you lived somewhere with absolutely perfect tarmac. Here in LA it would suffer too much.
    well yea - i'd be riding it on the street. i know it's a track specific bike. the roads where i'd be keeping it are pretty smooth. i'm not the kind of person who deliberately rides into potholes anyway, but i get how rough roads might be hard on this bike.

i'm probably a 58. going for a fit today.
    i was looking at the same ebay auction. it's $1050 plus 60 shipping, so it's $1100 for a used bike vs. $1300 for a new one. i'd rather buy it from a LBS that i know - lifetime service and lifetime warranty, transferrable to someone else if i sell it, which helps.

it sucks that no bike stores stock frames like this...it's all special order so i can't test ride.
    maybe i could soften up the ride if i replace the 700x20's with 700x23 and lower the psi a touch? maybe a nice big gel seat :)
    Posted By: inertianinjamaybe i could soften up the ride if i replace the 700x20's with 700x23 and lower the psi a touch? maybe a nice big gel seat :)

Fuck that. You have a super stiff track bike that has the potential of riding very fast....the last thing you want to do is put fat, squishy, low-PSI tires on it! ACK! And a Gel seat...clearly your joking.

So yeah, I think if you can afford it now, go grab up that bike. It's a really unique frameset with MUCH higher quality parts then a Fuji Track Pro. The wheels alone are a HUGE upgrade from a Fuji, and same with the stem, bars, seat, etc.

The extra couple hundred is worth buying it new and having a warranty.
    I was just looking at the new 2010 model, and I much prefer the 2009. They put tons of shitty Bontranger parts on the new 2010, and the 2010 has all DEDA parts, which are far better.
    yes I'm obviously kidding about softening the ride. it's too bad sarcasm doesn't come through on forums.

I'm going to see if I can find something similar to test to get a frame of reference. i've never ridden an aero track frame. but yea, I think the bike is badass.
    • CommentAuthorflatwound
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010

yeah, it's badass. To fully realize its bassassness, ride her on the track. Riding this bike on the street just makes no sense to me. It's like buying a super offroad vehichle, like this: http://www.tradevv.com/chinasuppliers/drillingrig/products-detail/china-Off-road-truck-6x6-c796d.html
    and never taking it offroad. Would you look cool? Maybe. But some times the line between cool and silly gets rather blurry.
    But hey, do want you want. Fill your boots.
    Posted By: inertianinjayes I'm obviously kidding about softening the ride. it's too bad sarcasm doesn't come through on forums.

I'm going to see if I can find something similar to test to get a frame of reference. i've never ridden an aero track frame. but yea, I think the bike is badass.

Any other frame you ride is going to feel slightly different and have different geometry. I would just go for it and get it, and if you totally hate it, which I know you wont, you can sell it. And maybe having the bike will inspire you to start racing.

You live in NYC? You could ride Kissena Velodrome.

What are you riding now? How much of an upgrade will this be?
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

I'm not saying anything about the OP... but for jesus h christo, people... oh noooo... how could he?? the profanity of using a track specific bike on the road... OMG OMG!!

Gimme a friggin break. My tri bikes rear wheel and bar are almost worth the same amount and I literally break my balls on them on the street. I'm not a track rider and never will be, but I'd rock this around town and yes, you all would be jealous and hating then as you are now - stop it. How 'bout you guys get on your track specific bikes and get the f on over to the velodrome instead of telling someone to not buy unless hes racing. Lame.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

So are you wanting to ride it primarily on the street or will it just be your bike that you go out on to pick up hipster chicks with after you get done winning a series at the Velodrome? If you're actually going to use it for its intended purpose, go for it. But if your aim is to look bitchin' on the street, give me the money you are wanting to waste, you obviously have more of it than sense.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

one last thing... if the stock fork that comes with this has a brake mount pre-drilled.... does that give you some kinda clue just to in fact this may be sub marketed for?
    pretty amazing to see people on velospace talking down about riding track bikes on the street...and acting like $1300 is something that only rich people can afford. come on now.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: terrible_one49I was just looking at the new 2010 model, and I much prefer the 2009. They put tons of shitty Bontranger parts on the new 2010, and the 2010 has all DEDA parts, which are far better.

What do you mean? This is not a cohesive statement. Also, I see no Bontrager parts on either the 2009 or 2010 model.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.