velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorvetuv
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010

After reading through "How many of you bike like an asshole?" seems like a lot of people here ride through red lights. I've never given it a second thought, if there are no cars I help myself. Especially if it is a 3-way intersection and I will be on the shoulder the entire time. Occasionally I will pass through a red light and a cop will be there. Perhaps they don't see me but I would imagine after all the times Ive done it one of them has seen the transgression.

So my question, for those who frequently run red lights have you ever been stopped or attempted to be? Do the police care that much about cyclist following the rules of the road, in my area it doesn't see so. It would be interesting to hear the personal accounts of others in similar situations.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

I stop if I see potential danger...
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

In Portland the Police have Stop sign sting operations. If you make a moving violation on a bicycle they will pop you.

I'm always scanning for cops, tattooed pierced scumbags have to.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

University police on California campuses will gladly yell at you for running stop signs. Should you choose to stop and talk with them, you will either be given a lecture or a ticket (more likely the latter, and a valid one at that - not like the shit from How High).
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010 edited

I look for cops (and people who might run me over) before I run a light/sign. I have been yelled at by a campus cop for running a stop sign but I was on a bike, he was on foot, and there was no way I was going to stop so he could write me a ticket. I have seen at least a dozen people get red light tickets in SJ bike party. They used to snatch the stragglers off the edge of the pack.
    Traffic laws were written with only motor vehicles in mind, not bikes. Disregard them. Only use your knowledge of traffic laws to know what should be expected of the motor vehicles. Of course look out for your own safety and the safety of others.

I got pulled over in Greenwich Village NYC for red light. I didn't pullover for a while, couldn't tell what he was doing. Friendly cop, even though I made a bit of a scene, shouting to people in the park, "look what's happening". He explained the bosses wanted a crack down on bikes. Critical mass, thank you.

I contested it in court, bringing an empty folder to look prepared. Cop was there. In front of judge, "officer do you recognize this citation", "yes", "did you write it", "yes", "did you bring the {some kind of paperwork}", "no, sorry", "alright sir, I'm going to have to give you the benefit of the doubt. Case Dismissed".

Wow, I was the beneficiary of police corruption this time. The cop caught up with me later in the hall and apologized again. He said he was a cyclist too, and hated to write the tickets, but the bosses...

I think in general, police don't want to be bothered with such small stuff. And especially in the big cities, they have crime to fight. I ride how I want, but if I do see cops, I don't flaunt it, and try to give the impression of law abiding.
    Additionally, the absurdity of moving violations for bikes: it is the same infraction, punishment and crime as an out of control fully loaded tractor trailer going thru a light. Points on my drivers license, and if I ignore it - arrest warrant.
    • CommentAuthorNash

Posted By: interestorTraffic laws were written with only motor vehicles in mind, not bikes. Disregard them. Only use your knowledge of traffic laws to know what should be expected of the motor vehicles.

Sorry but I'm going to have to say that is absurd.
    Why are you sorry Dick?
    • CommentAuthorjburnha

Chicago - Ever since an 'asshole' collided with me at a three-way stop (him going full-on the wrong way on a one-way street without any lights and at dusk), I practice reasonable pacing when I approach stop-signs and look both/all ways. Street lights are another matter but during the day I follow the signal and at night I think its more reasonable to look and cross if truly safe.

I have been stopped in Chicago by the police but it was a misunderstanding when a car ran a red-light and the cop thought I had gone through a red-light endangering a driver(!). My buddy was riding with me and he backed me up (we were both a bit spooked by the thunderbird that flew through the intersection not even on a yellow but full-on red) and the cop actually backed off and supposedly went after the driver... Just be safe,-and that includes safety for all people on the road.
    • CommentAuthorNash

awww man now I am ass hurt because you called me a dick. What will I ever do *hangs head*.
    • CommentAuthorvetuv

Posted By: wes m.I look for cops (and people who might run me over) before I run a light/sign. I have been yelled at by a campus cop for running a stop sign but I was on a bike, he was on foot, and there was no way I was going to stop so he could write me a ticket. I have seen at least a dozen people get red light tickets in SJ bike party. They used to snatch the stragglers off the edge of the pack.

Ive been on a san jose bike party, back in august I think. Such a great, time taking control of the road with the other 2000+ people.

Bike PAR-TYYYY!
    • CommentAuthorvetuv

I don't get how you can get a moving violation on a bicycle. Is it required to have a drivers license if you're riding your bike on the street? If you get stopped and you don't have your license on you, or any license for that matter, how would they pin the ticket to you? It seems absurd for the police to give you a moving violation on a bike with potential to adding points to your license and raising your CAR insurance.
    I have only been stopped once by a cop after he followed me (quite a ways behind me) and saw me blow 4 red lights. He told me that he could write me a ticket for all four of the lights but he instead decided to have a little chat and me on his way. Cops around my city don't really seem like they care what you do. As long as your not cutting cars off or riding the wrong way.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: vetuvI don't get how you can get a moving violation on a bicycle. Is it required to have a drivers license if you're riding your bike on the street? If you get stopped and you don't have your license on you, or any license for that matter, how would they pin the ticket to you? It seems absurd for the police to give you a moving violation on a bike with potential to adding points to your license and raising your CAR insurance.

I'm pretty sure that in California you are required to have a state issued ID if you are out in public.
    my friend got a ticket in NYC recently. some a-hole was parked in the bike lane and he saw a cop and asked if he was going to give the guy a ticket for parking in the bike lane. the cop said "no, are you trying to tell me how to do my job?" he then followed my friend to the next light and gave him a ticket for running the light (when in fact, he didn't even run it). the cop told him, "no one tells me how to do my job." god bless NYC.
    • CommentAuthorvetuv

Posted By: wes m.
    Posted By: vetuvI don't get how you can get a moving violation on a bicycle. Is it required to have a drivers license if you're riding your bike on the street? If you get stopped and you don't have your license on you, or any license for that matter, how would they pin the ticket to you? It seems absurd for the police to give you a moving violation on a bike with potential to adding points to your license and raising your CAR insurance.

I'm pretty sure that in California you are required to have a state issued ID if you are out in public.

Maybe it would be smart to get a separate ID, not a drivers license, for your bicycling needs so any tickets you could get on your bike would be independent from your drivers license. Assuming thats how it would work.
    Posted By: Nashawww man now I am ass hurt because you called me a dick. What will I ever do *hangs head*.

Seriously? That's nuts.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Posted By: vetuv
    Posted By: wes m.

Maybe it would be smart to get a separate ID, not a drivers license, for your bicycling needs so any tickets you could get on your bike would be independent from your drivers license. Assuming thats how it would work.

I have a California driver's license as well as a DMV-issued Identification Card. But since I don't have a car here, my driver's license has never seen the inside of my pocket. My ID, on the other hand, is almost always on my person.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.