velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010

Posted By: lickedwickedwhy don't i see camel backs used more often?
    because carrying water is carrying weight.
    Posted By: the rabbibecause carrying water is carrying weight.

Are you joking? That is why no one in Tour De France carries water...because it's extra weight.

I've seen guys in the tour pick up and stuff the backs of their jersey with around FIFTEEN water bottles!

You NEED water. Period. Having water is far more important then the weight it bears. Plus, weight has been proven to not be that critically important. Removing a pound off your bike gives the same advantage as removing a protrusion the size of a pencil. Because of this, bike companies have started to change the location and design of water bottles on a bike, like fitting them down near the bottom bracket, and being the same thickness as the downtube.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited

Posted By: terrible_one49

I've seen guys in the tour pick up and stuff the backs of their jersey with around FIFTEEN water bottles!

Yeah, those guys are domestiques. Its their job to carry the water. How many gc contenders do you see with 15 water bottles in their jersey?

We all know that its important to drink water. You are interpreting rabbi's statement in the least logical way. Im not sure if you want to fight over nothing or if you really thought that rabbi thinks people shouldnt bring water on their rides.
    You never know a persons intelligence or experience level online.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited

Posted By: wes m.
    Posted By: terrible_one49

Yeah, those guys are domestiques. Its their job to carry the water. How many gc contenders do you see with 15 water bottles in their jersey?

And that's also why they make support cars.

Newsflash: Those of us who are not employed to be fast on bikes carry water bottles (often a lot of water bottles) because it doesn't really matter how long it takes us to bike anywhere. As an extension of this point, we stop at water fountains to refill our bottles during the course of a ride - something else professionals don't have to do.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010

Top contenders carry a bottle at a time. Drink, throw away, and then get another one from a support car. Also, you can't put coke (watered down) or electrolyte drinks in a camelbak. There's a lot of difference between a 20oz bottle 50oz of water (about the smallest bladder they make) equates to about 3lbs of water plus the weight of the bag that doesn't let your back breathe. When the stage is often won by a second or two, you take all the advangages you can take.
    Speaking of domestiques, they were considered cheating for a long time because they interfered in the same "single athlete, unaided (somehow) by his bike or other cyclists" ethic that bans recumbents and sub-14 lb bikes. Now they're an accepted part of a race.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010

Go back far enough and they have to finish the race on the same bike they started with, and they could not receive any mechanical assistance.
    The movie The Flying Scotsman about Graham O'Bree shows his struggles with the UCI and "controversial" parts. Pretty interesting aspect of the movie.
    well the way i see it UCI bans things and we don't get to see the reason behind it.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010

This really only effect world class athletes, all us normal Joes can build and ride whatever we want.
    i want to see the most advance equiptment. i want to be able to see the sport with little rules. i want a new league that allows the use of performance enhancing drugs. it could be like gladiators without killing.
    Posted By: lickedwickedi want to see the most advance equiptment. i want to be able to see the sport with little rules. i want a new league that allows the use of performance enhancing drugs. it could be like gladiators without killing.

1/3 already.
    Posted By: SkidMarkThis really only effect world class athletes, all us normal Joes can build and ride whatever we want.
    at that point our bikes can be better than the pros when in most cases professional equiptment should be better than civilian use equiptment. when normal people can bike faster than professionals by using better equiptment, it can make people respect the professionals less if they think the professional bikes are supposed to be better. just because it doesn't affect civilains doesn't mean that it doesn't affect pros and equiptment makers. The fact is that if no reasons are provided, then the governing body can act as a tyrant.
    if pros cannot use top of the line equipment, civilians can't spend that much money on pieces of technology that have been researched and tested with billions of dollars, then lose lose while the UCI can sit back and laugh. As a professional, if not race allowed then they wouldn't buy it. if it's too expensive for regular people the sales will be too low and the developers would be at a loss.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010

Posted By: SkidMarkGo back far enough and they have to finish the race on the same bike they started with, and they could not receive any mechanical assistance.

Effectively, Paris-Brest-Paris is still at that point, although it's no longer a race as such.
    early for me here in HK but nobody up in US. eaglerock, you up late.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: lickedwickedeaglerock, you up late.

Compared to what?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Lickwicked, bikes don't make people fast, people make bikes go fast. More advanced bikes allow people to make bikes go faster. And pros make their bikes go ridiculously fast; the avg speed of the TdF is around 25mph. If someone has the kind of power and endurance to keep a 25mph avg while going over mountains, flats, etc. For 80-120miles/day for three weeks straight, then they should really consider racing. You should really consider what it means to "ride faster than the pros" or whatever.
    Posted By: lickedwickedwhen normal people can bike faster than professionals by using better equiptment

That is not true. Buying a certain brand of bike is not going to instantly make you faster than any of the professionals. Biking is not just about how fast you can make the bike go, but your physical fit and endurance. Owning the nicest bike is not going to make you fastest.

Lets put LW on a top-of-the-line carbon road bike, and a professional racer on a lower-end road bike. I guarantee the racer will finish first. However, if the racer was on the nicer bike, yeah, he probably would finish a tiny fraction sooner than he would on the lower-end bike, but you riding the highest-end bike possible is not going to make you any faster because your physical condition, strength and endurance are nowhere NEAR what would be required to push the bike to its fullest potential, where you would actually be taking advantage of those super stiff cranks, bars and frames. You just don't have the POWER in you for those things to make any difference.

I find the Olympics somewhat interesting, because each year we beat our record time or speed from the previous year. When will we eventually peak? Will we ALWAYS be able to do just slightly better than before? Although winning a race by .0002 of a second can set the new record, I don't think it's really show THAT much significant improvement overall. Well, I guess VERY slowly it is.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.