velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorAeroAceV03
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2008

I want to know what got people into riding fixed gear

some older people have been riding years before it became popular

while others just started out

regardless of how long you have been riding

Who or what got you into riding fixed gear?

Because we all know we didn't start on our own

and if that is what you claim then you are a liar

hehe

anyways GO!
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Honestly it was the fact that a fixed gear bike only has 5 moving parts and I could figure out how to maintain them all my self. I was sick of spending money at bike shops having deraillers and brakes worked on all the time. I guess I could have learned how to work on that stuff.. but Chicago has no hills and one gear ratio is more than enough.
    • CommentAuthorpockmark

Simplicity.
    • CommentAuthorHagisan

I had returned to the biking hobby to enjoy with my sons on bmx/24" and mtb. The fg/ss riders were always around, but I did not really notice to them until I was in SF and observed some riders skidding down those crazy SF hills.
    My friend had a Pista Concept that he let me borrow for a few weeks and it was a blast. I rode fixed 99% of the time. Those Concepts are nice, but too expensive for my budget, so I built my own from an cheap frameset of eBay and parts from my lbs.

Getting in the best shape I have been in a long time.

Your right greg, the maintenance is very simple,
    I got into fixed because bmx bikes were too small for me and they hurt my knees.
    • CommentAuthorHOPE

Evryone pretty much said it. simplicity of the thing.

and the fact that you can personnal your bike to your image.

and the technique tricks are just fun. makes me think of my first years of skateboarding

HOPE: your right about the tricks, its always fun to learn new things.
    • CommentAuthorGone

Montreal velodrome got me going in the early eighty's and I've been riding fix ever since. Love the feel and looks of a steel'lugged track bike.

Gone:you an og fixed head hehe

nice

you de rosa and samson are tip top
    • CommentAuthorHOPE

Montreal baby
    • CommentAuthorGone

I was shocked to see so many nice fixed bike last summer in Montreal, I guess I can say where on the map!
    the way a fixed gear moves with traffic is so much smoother than brakes the control on acceleration and deceleration while moving or doing turns is just addictive.
    also it just made me a faster rider... at least on flatland and up the hill.
    Fixed is fun, plain and simple.

Plus, I can take care of 90% of repairs with 5 tools.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

I had been riding an old schwinn world sport everywhere, and summer 2002, we had fix-it parties on the front porch. thats when frames and old bikes were aplenty and we'd go out collecting and repairing. i started googling and found singlespeed conversions, and quickly found the FGG in the early stages. went to a local shop, and the owner had one, he helped me suicidify my rear wheel. soon i had built a real fixed gear (do you know how hard it was to find cheap parts back in the day?!) and then had to been another to constantly loan out to people. been hooked since. i currently ride #9 and #10, and have no plans for a #11, im more than content with the stable as is.
    • CommentAuthorcrisone

One of my homeboy's has a Bianchi Pista Concept, he always told me I was gonna start riding, I always told him I wouldn't, until I took a stroll on his.......then I was hooked, it's fun buildin', it's fun ridin', and it's exercise, haha.........

Cris.
    • CommentAuthort0dk0n
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008

My friend, Jason got me into them initially. I barely knew much about them except that a lot of messengers rode them and didn't even know they were that popular in SF until I started riding mine around and noticing them every few bikes. What got me interested though, through all that reading, is the minimalism and physics behind them. I never cared much for bikes with coasting or gears in the first place (when I used to ride mtb and bmx as a child, I'd stay in a high gear ratio all the time). It seems when you're on a low gear ratio to climb hills, you put more energy in peddling just to get the wheel moving a full rotation than you might actually need to when in a higher ratio. I love that fixed gears allow me to build my muscles, every hill I can't get over, I keep riding up and down them until I conqueror them. Its also amazing on how fast you can get on one gear, especially in a velodrome. There's so many pros that weigh out the cons for me regarding most bicycles. I don't think I'll go back to anything else for my default uses.
    • CommentAuthorhenrydec1
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008

watching messenger's have fun on them started it. then i started riding one and loved it.
    • CommentAuthorcupidstunt
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008

i wanted massive velodrome thighs, so i bought a track bike to get started.

i started on the street to learn and got hooked, eventually losing the brake. now there's no looking back
    • CommentAuthorESR
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008

comes down to i needed a better way to get around then city transportation, but it needed to be fast. So i needed a fast bike. And i reeally just liked the simplicity of fixed gear and just seeing how you can customize it to your own. and also like said above sacramento has no hills, so 1 gear is fine. also once i tired it it was just so fun
    6 winters ago i just got fed up with adjusting gears on my winter hack bike constantly and a friend of mine introduced me to the whole fixie thing,from day one i was hooked!i started on a old frame my friend let me borrow and i fitted odd parts to get me rolling,since then i have had various fixed machines,simple,clean lines and very little maintaining to keep a bike rolling all year round.Trackstands at traffic lights is funky,especially when using spds!!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.