velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010

So, I'm considering opening an ebay (utilizing craigslist too) bike shop, but I have no experience with this sort of thing and I'm not sure where to start. I'm sure somebody on this forum must sell on Ebay. Pros, cons? Things to consider? I'd really appreciate any advice or direction people can offer at all.
    Well, the place to start would be to pull a source for giant MSRP discounts on components out of your ass. The problem with selling anything on the internet these days is that without having a line on a good general supplier, importing rare parts (Velosteel hubs, for example) and some way to ship things extremely cheaply, you're going to be outsold by someone else unless you make almost no profit whatsoever. Otherwise the only market that makes sense to tap is the used market. There are sellers on eBay who spend 8-10 hours a day scouring local classifieds, bike kitchens, barns, junk yards, and second hand stores to find marketable parts to sell. To me, neither route seems profitable without some kind of in.

But I'd love to hear from someone who actually does it. I have sold perhaps 80 items on eBay over the last ten or eleven years, and I've never felt like I was making a net profit. It's hard to compete with bike suppliers on the internet, perhaps even more than it is for LBSs to compete with online shops.
    Not really a profitable idea. You will probably end up in debt.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash

SD you're bumming me out! Not even as a side job making a few hundred a week? I mean, I understand what you're saying about the extreme downward pressure on the prices online, but it just seems a little hard to believe that the only people making money on ebay are people with industry connections.
    Sorry... The important thing to ask is how would you be getting the gear that you'd be selling? I have a friend who lives in Latin America right now and is buying handmade guitar straps for next to nothing, shipping them up here, and having someone sell them at something like 500% markup. He also brings netbooks every time he goes back down and sells them for double MSRP. I have no idea how that is going, but that's the only kind of margin to seriously consider.

The point is, if you can get it for less than what it is being sold for, you could make a profit. But like I said, it's an uphill battle if you don't have a connect.
    Not to mention that packing/reboxing/shipping all the stuff you sell is going to take a fair amount of time and energy, especially if it's only a side job.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash

You know, now that I think about it, if anybody with a little knowledge could make money selling bikes on ebay, I suppose we'd all be doing it. Mah bad
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

Saw an ad on CL for an older Ultegra Crank for 45 dollars new.... and a few days later someone posted to buy it from another place online for new, but for 22 (to undersell without selling? makes no sense) Anyways... I say you search high-and low for insane bike deals then resell them on ebay to people that don't know how to do their own research and are idiots when it comes to going about solving their own problems.... you can make it :D !
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

Theres also a guy on some other forums that sells Psimet wheels. They are rebranded from taiwain and of higher quality than the 100 dollar ones sold on ebay. Find the factory that supplies him and im sure they would do business with you also. I'd buy a Max Trash 404 set for 700 bucks
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010

Whoa, now I'm doing all this google research on taiwanese track bikes manufacturers. Would you guys hate me if I became one of the people flooding the market with cheapo taiwanese 'track' gear?
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

the market is already flooded with those frames.

no one will "care" if you choose to do the same, but dont expect to be the next BikesDirect. Find a niche, instead.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash

my niche is sore though
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

You need to get in on this muthafreak... http://www.rtscarbon.com/

I inquired and the guy sent me his price listing for the parts. Minimum order is a single unit - no need to do group buys or large quanities. around 1200 to 1500 for all the complete frames + forks and roughly 500 for the trispoke to 700 for the pentaspoke (sp?)

Those are the factory prices and they come unpainted - meaning you rebrand them to whatever you want. Oddly thier proces are 50% to 100% more if you have them branded and painted which can easily be done for much cheaper after acquiring them from the factory.

Straight up if I had a loan for 200gs I'd start an online and brick and mortar presence asap with my own warranty and my own brand.

Them craigslist folks that buy used Specialized bikes for 3gs wouldn't be able to pass up a brand new frame and quadspoke wheels for the same price
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

On their website, this :

TTR6 Road frame + Fork is 1480 but their factory pricing for an unpainted frame + fork is 590!

I'd buy a Max Trash frame + fork + trispoke for 2400 and thats a 600 dolla markup (minus 300 for rebranding and packaging) Won't sell enough of these to become rich, but you will once mofos want them wheels!
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2010

You can get carbon framesets off ebay for less than $500 shipped to your door. And a new HED3 goes for $800. I just saved you $1100, cyciumx.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

600 hundred dollar markup minus 300... that actually means 900 over cost. I was specifying the price of all those complete with a paint job from a consumer standpoint. The bare cost if I was the one buying from the factory is 590 frame+fork and 1010 as a set for the trispokes. Making it 1600 or in your estimate the price of the hed wheels alone. I own a hed, I think i know how much a new one costs. Please research a reply if you wish to participate with validity in a thread on business :D
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

You never said a set and also said you'd buy a Max Thrash frame + fork + trispoke (indicating one) for $2400.
    how come i don't see any bad carbon trispokes or bad carbon wheels? like badly laid carbon wheels from a company that doesn't have any history or product assurances. maybe people would buy those marked up. don't lie about the product, just say they are no brand.
    http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/3654158/Bicycle_Carbon_Fibre_Tri_Spoke_Wheel_Rim_Bike.html

stuff like this and buy a larger order for cheaper per unit price.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: lickedwickedhow come i don't see any bad carbon trispokes or bad carbon wheels? like badly laid carbon wheels from a company that doesn't have any history or product assurances.

Because people dont want to die.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.