velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorgasikest
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010 edited

Hi... I am new to Velospace, but already love it... so many cool bikes.
    I am crawling craigslist looking for a road bike with a larger frame. I am about 6'4", with inseam 36".
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1610072666.html

I came across this bike, and wanted to ask you if that frame is standard, or it is bigger in size and will fit me?

I appreciate your help!
    K.
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010 edited

Hey, welcome :) I'd suggest contacting the seller with the above information. He/she may be able to help. I've also found the best thing you can do is just go take it for a spin, see how it feels. You can measure all you want, but in the end you need to be comfortable on it no matter what it measures.
    • CommentAuthorgasikest
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010

Thanks! the seller did post the measures, and I just want to make sure I am understanding it correctly... Is that a 23" bike = 58cm? If that's the case then I guess it should be good for me? I just don't want it to be a standard size...

Seat tube: approx 22.5 to 23.5 (depends on how you measure it); Top tube: approx 22.5" to 23";
    Standover distance: approx 32.5".
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Its nearly impossible to fit you over the internet but... If your inseam is 3.5" higher than the top tube I'd assume the bike is a little too small.
    Looks like a pretty big bike and at $75 you're not taking a great risk if it turns out to not be for you. But, at $75 you're probably going to have to put at least a little $$$ into it to make it enjoyable. One thing you might consider -- the ad says the rims are "chromed." When even wet a little, bicycle brakes don't work very well with steel rims, which were often used with less expensive 10 speed bikes with 27" wheels. Replacement wheels with alloy rims are available and not too expensive, but the old 10 speed bikes had 120 mm rear spacing and most hubs you might get these days will be 130 mm -- maybe some are 126 mm, who knows. Anyway, good luck with it and with your continued search if you don't buy that one.
    • CommentAuthorgasikest

Thanks! I already looked at it... I don't mind spending a little bit of money, and the person will probably sell it to me for $40-50... Motobecane sounds at least pretty cool to me... I don't plan to make too many changes, but just want to have a nice bike for weekend ride with the dog... It seems that it is around 58cm, which I think should be pretty comfortable for me.
    Posted By: gasikestHi... I am new to Velospace, but already love it... so many cool bikes.
    I am crawling craigslist looking for a road bike with a larger frame. I am about 6'4", with inseam 36".
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1610072666.html

I came across this bike, and wanted to ask you if that frame is standard, or it is bigger in size and will fit me?

I appreciate your help!
    K.

Personally, I wouldn't buy that bike regardless of fit. Here are a few reasons why:

1. 27" chromed wheels - that means they're steel and PROBABLY means they're cheesy and will need trueing constantly.

2. good to fair condition - In adspeak, this means it's a rolling wreck.

It probably needs new wheels, tubes, tires, spoke rubbers, cables, brake pads, a cleaning and re-greasing of all moving parts, possibly a new chain, and maybe more. I might buy something like that for $30 - 50, but 75 is far too much money for a bike that will likely need a lot of TLC. It can't hurt to go look at it, but don't go expecting much.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.