velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorGHOSTS
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010

Hi all here my situation i just got my new upgrade stratos keirin frame. Now i have a big problem i need to drill the front break hole in the fork , i have done it before on my mates bike for him and it worked all well but this time no my bike the crown is alot less room to drill. I have to run a break as i have been fined before not having one and if i hit someone they can charge me for not having a break any way im am NOT going to put one of the ugly clamp breaks on it so i must drill.I dont want a new fork as the frame and fork is beautiful.

here is my options so far
    1/ there is 10mm play room and the bolt is 5mm thick so really 3mm on the bottom and 2 mm on the top of the bolt left if that makes sense is that going to be strong enough to hold
    2/ 10mm play room get the last half of the bolt turned thiner say to 3.5mm so then it gives me more room to play with

i am building my dream bike now so i cant take no drilling for an answer so can any experts engineers out there please please help me with this as im fucked if i cant do it.
    the frame is a stratos frame columbus also if that helps
    • CommentAuthorBen Hittle

The keirin clamp-on brakes are no uglier than any front brake. I would definitely rather use one of those than drill the fork.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

The solutions I would choose in the order I would choose them:

1) Try to find another fork thats already drilled, save the stock for for track and for potentially reselling the frameset

2) Use a keirin brake

3) Get the fork drilled at a good bike shop

4) Get my machinist friend to drill it for me

5) Drill it myself

6) Get the fork drilled at a bad bike shop
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Get a clamp on.
    Posted By: parkman14Get a clamp on.

that is also what she said.

/constructive post
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

Those clamp-ons don't look bad at all....don't drill it! Respect its natural beauty mutha*****!?!?! ha ha ha
    Drill it?! Crazy mofo. Lol
    You could put on a rear brake.

Of course, with a brake lever mounted on the chainstay.
    Brake*
    • CommentAuthorawer1
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010

you will find the clearance is so tight on the fork that you may not be able to find a brake with super short reach. just put a nice road fork and leave the keirin ones be and don't fuck them up or you'll go to hell.
    you shouldn't have bought a non-drilled track bike if you were planning on doing this...
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

Take some measurements, get a center punch, and drill that fork. I would be less confident about drilling the rear, where there is far less room for error.

As soon as you drill it then you don't get a ticket for being brakeless and silly and it just makes everyone else's small japanese man racing bikes worth more, plus you can piss off purists....its win freakin win baby!
    • CommentAuthorGHOSTS

Thanks for all the feed back, so it looks like it's going to be clamp on which I don't want,
    with the clamp on how do they work I have seen some pictures with these on bikes and there got scratches all down the fork from the clamp , is this normal does the clamp move around I just don't want to scratch the paint at all that's why I was againt it , it looks like it slides up the fork to get it on.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

I dont know anything about those clamps, but I assume you can put a little electrical tape underneath to avoid scratches.
    • CommentAuthorGHOSTS

Yes that's what I was thinking and as my frame is white I might paint the clamps white so it blends in.
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen

• CommentAuthorGHOSTS

Thanks for the link will start reading it
    • CommentAuthorGHOSTS
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010

Is any one able to do me a favor and measure the center of the bolt that holds it all togeather straight down to the top of the metal clamp as I read that they don't all fit cause the lugs are in the way has anyone put a brake on the fork on the first page. I can't get my hands on a clamp to make sure it fits before I buy on the net. The tube is round also
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010

You can get dia compe gran compe keirin brakes (clamp on) in like any color on
    tracksupermarket.com

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.