velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Does anybody know what crank length will eliminate toe overlap on a 53cm pake?
    Most likely 165 (the shortest I know of) won't. Even with medium toe cages, frames like the kilo and possibly the pake will have toe overlap. It's not a big deal really; I have pretty bad toe overlap but it only affects you if you turn while going slow. You'll get used to it and compensate.
    you cant really avoid that without effecting the ride
    maybe get 165mm crank arms with smaller cages that can reduce the toe overlap a bit but I dont know if that would be okay depending on how did your feet are

Beside you only get the overlap if you are turning riding really slow, if you are riding at speed you shouldnt have to worry about the overlap
    I can't think of any track bike I've ridden or I've ever asked about that doesn't really have toe overlap.

I know this is off topic, but avoid getting that Pake frame!
    Posted By: LuvCumsInSpurtsI can't think of any track bike I've ridden or I've ever asked about that doesn't really have toe overlap.

Yeah anything with track geo (especially in smaller sizes) is guna have some overlap. cage size really makes a bigger difference than crank arm length if your trying to eliminate it... but like stated above you’ll get used to it.
    Posted By: LuvCumsInSpurtsI can't think of any track bike I've ridden or I've ever asked about that doesn't really have toe overlap.

haha too late i already bought it. corey does it reallt effect tricks? or does it just mean you need to be more coutious of crtaint things where the wheel will hit the padals
    You are gonna do tricks get a trick bike and especially not on a Pake that frame will break in half
    Hell, my road bike has toe overlap if you pedal through corners. It's just something you learn to deal with.
    no its not going to break because i dont do crazy shit. i just do some wheelies go backwards trackstand and endo every once in a while
    • CommentAuthoro0 Corey 0o
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010 edited

Posted By: swimfixedrun

haha too late i already bought it. corey does it reallt effect tricks? or does it just mean you need to be more coutious of crtaint things where the wheel will hit the padals

for me I’m used to it... I’m not one to change my bike to make tricks easier though. Basically you’re just guna have to answer that for yourself.
    The frame is still made out of straight gauge tubing, not double butted.

I don't want to harp on you since you already bought the frame, so I won't share any of the other reasons why it was a mistake to buy it.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010

Posted By: LuvCumsInSpurtsThe frame is still made out of straight gauge tubing, not double butted.

This means that the frame is not reinforced and the most stress-critical parts.
    this actually means that it is just heavier. the tubng is not thinner in the middle. it has nothing to do with reinforcing stress points.
    Double butted tubing is thicker at stress point than straight gauge tubing, so yes a strait gauge tubing frame is not as durable
    Edited!

My apologies, I knew it was for making the frame lighter, but I also thought framebuilders used this technique to strengthen high-stress areas.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: o0 Corey 0oDouble butted tubing is thicker at stress point than straight gauge tubing, so yes a strait gauge tubing frame is not as durable
    depends on the tubing used. and pake is more than probably using .049" thickness tubing or 1.24mm. even if they were using .035" (which i doubt) it'd be .9mm and that is standard for the ends of most db tubing. and i HIGHLY doubt they're using .028" (.71mm).
    knowledge, i haz it.
    • CommentAuthorSL wheeler
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010

rabbi, your such a wealth of information
    • CommentAuthoro0 Corey 0o

your right, but another thing to consider is that since the tubing is thinner at the center it absorbs some of the stress and whatever that the joints would normally deal with on a straight gauge tubed frame
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010 edited

Get some 152's. You might have to jack a 7 year old at a BMX race to get them for cheap, but the shorter length and some xs toe cages and maybe a 24" or 20" front wheel should eliminate your toe overlap problem. Plus all that would increase your head tube angle and we all know that the steeper the head tube angle the more street cred you have. Oh and most importantly don't ride bikes, or stunt on them, they break when you do that or at least that's what the sticker on my Magna "Terror of Demonstorm: World Gone Bad" said. I may or may not be kidding about any of that, except for the part about the Magna, about which everything is true but that I own it. Sleep now.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.