velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010

i'm looking to buy a new frame and was wondering what everyone thinks of motobecane. i'm not a big tricker, but i'd like to get into it a bit. no, i'm not going to be wall riding or jumping 17 set staircases, but i want something light but sturdy and something that can go from light tricking to cruising. are motobecane frames good for that type of riding or is their another frame you guys would suggest?
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

I can't comment on them directly, but I do know from researching a company that owns them that there are a Motobecane from Europe that is not the same or even the same owner as Motobecane USA.

A few Moto USAs are regarding good for road cycling (carbon models)... don't know about their other products. Just lettin you know there are two.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

When Motobecane went out of the bike business, this dude in Texas bought all of the rights to the names or something, and buys worldclass parts and frames directly from Taiwan and puts those names on them and he can sell em cheaap!
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

From Wikipedia (which is usually good for 89% reliable information):

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve the article or discuss these issues on the talk page.

* It needs additional references or sources for verification. Tagged since October 2009.
    * It may contain original research or unverifiable claims. Tagged since October 2009.

Motobécane Motobecanelogo.jpg
    Type Private
    Founded 1923
    Headquarters , France
    Industry Bicycles, Mopeds, Motorcycles
    Products Bicycle and Related Components, mopeds and motorcycles
    A Motobécane head badge.
    Motobécane Nomade with a mixte frame mounted on the bike rack of a Madison Metro bus.

Motobécane was a French manufacturer of bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, and other small vehicles, established in 1923. "Motobécane" is a compound of "moto", slang for motorcycle; "bécane" is slang for "bike."

In 1981, Motobécane filed for bankruptcy and was purchased by Yamaha and reformed in 1984 as MBK; the French company continues to make motorscooters.

It has no relation to Motobecane USA, which imports bicycles from Taiwan manufactured to their specification by Kinesis Industry Co. Ltd. under the Motobécane trademark.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Told ya!!!!
    • CommentAuthorzmill12

darn it. well thanks anyways guys, always appreciated.
    GET AN IRO!!! lol
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

dammit? the frames are fine. the kilo tt is the same as a khs flite 100. the motobecane messenger is the same as a FUJI TRACK. just the frame was bought from the same factory with different labels put on it and a few diffeerent parts, sometimes higher quality osmetimes lower quality. usually higher.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

The carbon Moto USAs have a solid rep for road/racing use - I can't see why that wouldn't be true for some of their other products.

The real problem is that their parent company... which is owned by another parent compnay which owns damn well every bike compnay in the usa (kidding, but not by much) sells very low-end dept. store bikes using the same brand names as their higher quality LBS offerings. My first road bike was a Schwinn Peloton. Full Carbon and just a fabulous ride.... but I tell people that and they go.. wha??? a shitty schwinn!? Meanwhile it won bike of the year for its catagory in Bicycling Magazine...
    Are you talking about Kinesis? If so, that's not quite right. They manufacture for BikesDirect (along with Maxway and god knows who else), but they don't own BikesDirect. Moreover, almost all frames marketed by almost all bike brands which do business in the US are manufactured by the same large Chinese/Taiwanese companies (Maxway, Kinesis, etc). OEMs order frames from the factories (either from the Maxway/Kinesis/etc stock designs or they submit their own), then import them into the country. Where the frame was made and who made it makes little difference these days.

My favorite example is Bianchi USA, which not only has an almost completely separate line of bikes from Bianchi EU (or whatever), but only two or three of their frames are made in Italy, the rest come straight from Taiwan and China.

Department store bikes are a different animal. A lot of times the big box retailers simply pay a licensing fee to use the brand name and then slap some stickers onto the lowest end shit made by whoever charges the least. That's not always true, of course, but as you said, just because two bikes use the Schwinn brand does not mean that both were produced in the same factory or with the same quality standards. It just means that Schwinn makes money from the sales of both bikes. It's unfortunate, but it's not hard to figure out which is which.

Anyway, modern BikesDirect marketed Motobecane USA bikes are held in high regard, especially as they are a whole lot cheaper than their nearly, if not totally identical major brand counterparts. There's nothing about their frames or parts that is lower in quality or that belongs in a department store. They're just cheaper because there are fewer companies between the factory and the consumer.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010 edited

http://www.maxway.com.tw/product.html?mode=new_detail&cid=3&id=11&offset=0

I think I may start my own online bike business around this frame minus the cable guides.
    Yeah, funny how similar their stock bikes look to most of the frames for sale these days. No coincidence.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010

http://www.pacific-cycle.com/brands/index.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorel_Industries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry_Co._Ltd.

All the same shit - different sign

I wasn't talking about kinesis, But Doral which doesn't use Motobecane in that regard, but still has its bikes made by the same factory as all the rest.
    • CommentAuthorScrodzilla

Posted By: wes m.http://www.maxway.com.tw/product.html?mode=new_detail&cid=3&id=11&offset=0

I think I may start my own online bike business around this frame minus the cable guides.

Fuji OBEY/SE Premium Brew = that frame minus the cable guides.
    And minus the stainless lugs on the HT. That's the point, there are little points of customization but the basic frame and design is stock.

Posted By: cyciumxhttp://www.pacific-cycle.com/brands/index.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorel_Industries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry_Co._Ltd.

All the same shit - different sign

I wasn't talking about kinesis, But Doral which doesn't use Motobecane in that regard, but still has its bikes made by the same factory as all the rest.

Right, that's my point. Lots of companies use the same factories but don't actually share the same parent company, they just subcontract (so to speak) to the same manufacturer. So, contrary to what you said, Motobecane USA isn't owned directly or indirectly by Pacific, or Dorel, or any of the other big conglomerates, they just order their generic frames from the same factory. The difference is in the business model that BikesDirect (which does own Motobecane USA, Cycles Mercier, etc.) uses. They don't have a distribution network, resellers, or advertising to speak of, so they can sell their identical (or better) spec'd frames for significantly less than the competition.

Like I said, at this point it doesn't make much difference who makes what. It's really more about how they customize their generic frame and then how they stand behind the product. It's not a great system for enthusiasts, but it's good for cheap bikes.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited

Posted By: Scrodzilla
    Posted By: wes m.http://www.maxway.com.tw/product.html?mode=new_detail&cid=3&id=11&offset=0

Fuji OBEY/SE Premium Brew = that frame minus the cable guides.

Probably true but I would have a recent art school grad design my website so it appeals to the 16-26 year old urban cyclist! Its a proven method!
    • CommentAuthorScrodzilla

Hahaha
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

I'd like to think that BikesDirect is now one of those conglomerates (albeit a bit smaller than a mega) But yeah I was incorrect in the parent company.

Question: Why do people that don't even own a high-end bike shit on BikesDirect? They sometimes sell complete bikes for the price of the component group alone!
    Well, part of that thinking makes sense. If a company is selling a seemingly identical bike for half as much, there much be a corner cut somewhere, right? Or several. I get that thinking, even though it is misguided. What bugs me is the people who shit on BD bikes (and cheap models from other companies) simply because they're low end. Everyone has to start somewhere, and, as I and others have been saying since cycling suddenly became popular again, they're enough for nearly everyone who is commuting or just riding on the streets for fun. But no, the American attitude is always "buy what you can afford" (or "buy what you can pay off in three years or so") instead of buy what you need. It doesn't bother me that people do that, but the fact that so many of those same people shit on everything in the budget category... It's stupid.

Anyway, yeah, I can't imagine BD is a small company anymore.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.