velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

ive been riding my stock Surly steamroller for about a year now, and its time i invest in some higher quality components. i really want to throw some bullhorns on. is there any other upgrades i should invest in to get the most bang for my buck?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010

I generally recommend against buying things for the sake of buying things. If there is a component that you feel negatively impacts ride quality its a top candidate for an upgrade. Upgrading contact points (handlebars, saddle, pedals) will yield you the most noticeable difference.
    Hear, hear. You should invest in a full tune up before new parts anyway.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010

wheelset.
    and contact points, like wes m. said.
    yeah for sure some handle bars. i notice my wrist is a lot more comfortable when my thumbs are pointed ahead so bullhorns would be perfect. s_d i agree i need a tune up. when i first got the bike everything felt tight, now i can, i guess, feel a little rattle here and there....so full tune up, bullhorns. i dont know how much impact a new crankset will have on function for me, but in the way of asthetic im willing to throw down some dough. sometimes a little stret cred is necessary for me. just looking at the black cranks screams " stock surly steamroller" haha. i commute to school and work on it and im not looking to get all BMX on the thing. put in about 15 miles a day. appreciate any tips and advice thanks.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010 edited

Posted By: PandaInTheMistwhen i first got the bike everything felt tight, now i can, i guess, feel a little rattle here and there...

Just a general observation: If you're riding a particular bike on a regular basis (and especially if you're riding it as your primary source of transportation), you need to get yourself the Allen wrenches and socket wrenches necessary to tighten down every nut/bolt you can see. This is extra-important for drivetrain, wheel and brake stuff. As you put stress on a component (and on the fasteners that hold it together), they will loosen up; that's just basic mechanics. You should tighten stuff up as you go, not wait for stuff to get so loose that it actually affects your riding.

Or wait until nuts/bolts fall off; not only is that big-time dangerous, it runs into serious money replacing the lost bits.

The range of tools that will cover the standard range of tightening needs can be obtained new for about thirty bucks.

Allen wrenches: 3, 4mm (assorted little clampy bolts)
    5mm (recessed brake nuts, chainring bolts, miscellaneous small bolts)
    6mm (some pedals)
    8mm (some crankbolts)

Socket wrenches: 8mm, 10mm (assorted clampy nuts)
    14mm (some crankbolts)
    15mm (track axle nuts, some crankbolts)

Box wrenches: 15mm (some pedals)

Actually, this last one should really be a purpose-built pedal wrench, which is thinner than a standard box wrench, and so will fit between the pedal body and the crank arm.

Obviously, some of this is subject to modification: Older Campagnolo stuff uses 3mm and 7mm Allen for some things, and for French stuff, all bets are off; I just tightened up my Mafac Racer brakes, which use 9mm hex nuts for everything. Fortunately, several of the most commonly used tools are available as all-in-ones; there's a common three-way 8/9/10mm socket wrench made by Summit that I find in my area for about $ 5, and three-way Allen wrenches are available in 2/2.5/3mm and 4/5/6mm from a number of manufacturers. I have a memory of seeing a 6/8/10mm Allen three-way, but Google isn't locating it at the moment. Allen wrenches are also available in sets that typically cover the range from 2mm to 8/10mm; such sets can be bought for under $ 10.

When you take the bike in for the tuneup, ask the mechanic to show you everything that needs to be tightened to keep the bike in good shape. Ask him to show you how to do it. Ask him to sell you the tools your bike needs (you don't need to buy tools that don't fit anything on your bike, although they may come in handy later as you upgrade components). If nothing else, this will earn you real street cred with the mechanic; it'll prove that you actually plan on taking good care of your bike.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.