velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthortbdrew
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010

I am having trouble seeing the Photos I uploaded on here. I re-sized them and uploads looked complete but cannot see anything. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

try reloading them with unique file names, this site can't handle duplicate image file names. i'm not sure if that is the problem you are having but if the file name is bianchi1.jpg or bike.jpg it is not going to work. try tbdrew1 or something like that. otherwise i don't know what is going on for you.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

i'm not sure what else could cause this, if the photo doesn't meet size criteria it will bounce. my guess is you hit on the name of an old photo that was messed up sometime ago when greg did some work on the site.
    • CommentAuthortbdrew

Got it, Thanks!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Your photo is named "t_Velospace2.jpg", which is probably not the best choice. I'm pretty sure that the upload process puts the "t_" part on, but "Velospace2" seems like a name that a lot of other people might use, because it's easy to think of. When there are multiple photos with the same name, you're always rolling the dice as to which one appears.

I don't think that's actually the problem, though. If there were currently multiple VS photos named t_Velospace2.jpg, one of the others would appear. But when you load the page, a broken link appears instead; that suggests to me that there's something wrong with the photo itself - either it wasn't correctly uploaded, or it doesn't really meet VS's size specifications.

Upload problem: Check the "Edit" tab for your bike. Does it list the name of the photo you uploaded, and is it uploaded into the first bike photo position? No photos will display unless there's a photo in the first position.

Size problems: When people say they're "re-sizing" photos, I'm never quite sure what they think they mean. Most folk hereabouts are resizing photos using a variety of online tools. I'm suspicious of that method, because I'm an old computer reactionary; I want to know that I have control over the process, and that things are being modified the way I want them modified, instead of in some arbitrary way. Every operating system has shareware/cheapware/freeware photo editing applications which will allow you to change the pixel size of your photos (width x height) and reduce the color depth of your photos from millions to thousands. Reducing the number of pixels + reducing the number of colors makes the photo smaller in MB/KB data size.

Here's a list of cheap/free Windows photo editing programs. You may also have commercial applications like Adobe Photo Deluxe, which is commonly bundled with scanners and some digital cameras:

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/qs.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=photo+editor&srchArea=windows&submit=Go

For Macintosh, I strongly recommend LemkeSoft's GraphicConverter, a $35 Swiss Army knife for photos/graphics. Linux guys are the savviest computer users of all (or so they keep telling us); they can go find their own photo editing software.

VS's photo requirements are non-negotiable. Your photos can be 1200 pixels wide (your photo editing program will tell you how wide it is, and will let you scale your larger photo down to that size), but NOT 1201 pixels. Similarly, your photos can be 1024 pixels high, but not 1025 pixels. You can't reverse those numbers; 1024Wx1200H will not work. The data size can be no bigger than 300KB, not MB. That's 300,000 bytes (approximately), not 3,000,000 bytes.

Photo editing applications (online or desktop) will throw a lot of numbers at you, and it's often confusing to interpret them correctly. In particular, data sizes in KB/MB are often not accurate in the regular sense. The best way to get an accurate measurement on byte-size is to look at the photo just as a document, without opening the document up:

1. Windows: Right-click on the document in Windows Explorer; select Properties

2. Mac: Control-click on the document; select Get Info

Can you describe the pixel and byte size of the photos you've tried to upload?
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: eaglerockI don't think that's actually the problem, though. If there were currently multiple VS photos named t_Velospace2.jpg, one of the others would appear. But when you load the page, a broken link appears instead; that suggests to me that there's something wrong with the photo itself - either it wasn't correctly uploaded, or it doesn't really meet VS's size specifications.

Posted By: Aaron Cmy guess is you hit on the name of an old photo that was messed up sometime ago when greg did some work on the site.

^ this is my guess. like what happened to the first photo of this bike. it was fine until the site was updated, then i went kaput. this happened to several of my other bikes but i still had the computer files to replace them with. i don't for that bike.

[edit] fuck, now i went and edited a spelling error in my notes section and when i submitted it it made the little blue ? box go away. some example that is now!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Aaron C^ this is my guess. like what happened to the first photo ofthisbike. it was fine until the site was updated, then i went kaput. this happened to several of my other bikes but i still had the computer files to replace them with. i don't for that bike.

Fair enough, and certainly a possibility; but I didn't know that when you posted the comment. My comment took a while to write; the three comments immediately above mine were posted behind my back while I was getting my stuff typed up.

[edit] fuck, now i went and edited a spelling error in my notes section and when i submitted it it made the little blue ? box go away. some example that is now!

Life is full of little annoyances :-P
    • CommentAuthortbdrew

LOL, Thanks gang!!!! Love this site, spent 3 hrs looking at bikes today. I will have to stay home from work more often...Cough, Cough.....
    • CommentAuthorfuznubz
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011 edited

hey, im a mac user and i didn't feel like slapping down $35 for a program, so i fiddled around with iPhoto and somehow managed to upload previously too large pix!

good luck to you all!

https://velospace.org/node/35761
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011

Posted By: fuznubzhey, im a mac user and i didn't feel like slapping down $35 for a program, so i fiddled around with iPhoto and somehow managed to upload previously too large pix!

If you're a Mac user,and you're beefing about the $35 for the shareware GraphicConverter, you can use it free forever; you just get a longer and longer countdown when you launch the program. I used it for about three years before I paid for it, and got every upgrade free for the next five years before the programmer asked for money again; I gladly paid up. I still haven't ponied up my money for the new version, but it's been four years since the last time he asked, so he deserves it.

Beyond that, GraphicConverter can get more flab out of photos than iPhoto. Use the "save for web" function, if the program has one.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.