velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

got my windsor clockwork a month ago and theres this hissing sound in the rear wheel dont know the problem.
    when i spin the wheel, every once in a while the pedals would start moving and stop.
    its a single speed by the way.
    brake pad on the rim.
    nope. i checked that it wasnt the brake pad. thats the first thing i thought of.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010

Cheap bmx freewheels will do that from time to time.
    Posted By: perctronguyevery once in a while the pedals would start moving and stop.

That's pretty common with freewheel and cassette setups, and probably has nothing to do with your hissing... Where does the hissing come from exactly? Raise the rear wheel on something, get down there and listen. If it isn't the brake, or something wild like your tire rubbing the frame (which would be totally obvious both by sight and by feel), then maybe the hub is funny. Anyway, find out where the sound is coming from specifically.
    Posted By: wes m.Cheap bmx freewheels will do that from time to time.

They hiss? Maybe I'm just associating this hissing sound with a rubbing sound.
    I have formula hubs too. I also very faintly have a hissing. So I got out the stethoscope and gave the hub and all around a listen I think it is the bearings but can not descern a difference between the free wheel bearings or the axle bearings. I gonna ride till it breaks and then worry bout it. Just hope I dont have to walk too far.
    I'm not sure but maybe your tightening the rear wheel too much. My friend loved to make sure his rear wheel wouldn't come off so he overtighten, resulting in a damaged hub.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

10:1 these hubs are overtightened.

Buy cone wrenches and learn how to use them.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

hey since you guys are talking about hubs, and I have never gotten around to this, I was wondering if I could ask a (hopefully) not ignorant question:

What kind of maintenance is needed for hubs? Do wheelsets need to be re laced often to be able to clean and check out the hubs? How often?

I have only dealt with pre built wheels, so was wondering, for those of you who build the wheels up on your own, or oftenly check to see if the wheels are true , what all needs to be done? Didnt find anything too helpful on the forums...please forgive me if I missed something
    well im guessing now that its the freewheel bearings thats making this nose. every now and then the chains budge while the wheel is spinning.and i havent overtightened it, well i hoped so, coz i havent removed it ever since i got it from the box when it was shipped.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010

all routine hub maintenance* can be done without unlacing the wheel. if you are uncomfortable or unable to do it yourself your rims should be trued and properly tensioned at least every year, or better yet twice a year if you want them to last.
    i do not own a truing stand (i really need to break down and buy one-- no space though) so i do the best i can truing my wheels while they are on my bikes. this means i generally keep them as good as i can by myself and then at the end of the season--or whenever-- i have my lbs make 'em all nice.

as far as hubs go you should check for proper tightness/adjustment on the cones/jam nuts/axle nuts whenever you ride, or at least frequently.
    if you run unsealed hubs and do not live in an area with(or do not ride in) excessively wet or snowy or otherwise poor road conditions repacking your hubs is probably only necessary yearly. if for no other reason than an excuse to make sure everything is still in good condition. in poor conditions its an as needed type of thing.

i have more to say, but frankly i am tired. good night.

*by this i mean i can't think of anything but if i said so i'm sure some one would prove me wrong
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Thank you aaron. As far as the hubs go, I assume I should get a cone wrench and start doing some adjustments and tightening on my own, and have the wheels trued by a bike mechanic down the road. I have very poor road conditions, so I think I should play it safe (even though I have sealed hubs), and use this opportunity to learn something, finally, about how these hubs work.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010 edited

the key is that your hubs need to be adjusted tight, but with a hair of play to allow the bearing to spin freely. to much side load gobbles bearings up.

a normal steel ball cartridge looks like this:

unless you plan on replacing them with ceramic bearings, generally they are cheap, even phil bearings should cost you less than $ 20 a pop. which, i suppose, to many people makes them not worth servicing.
    but if you want to service them, in the off chance you muck them up enough, without actually destroying them it is pretty easy.

cartridge bearings consist of an outside and inside race, two rubberized shields-which seal the bearing, a teflon retainer (generally, i think some ceramics may not use these, i don't know i've never fucked with one), and the actual balls.

to service you need to first pop the bearings out, then carefully pry the shields off with a pin (their may also be a small retaining around the outside of the shield which you would have to pop off first). once you have both shields off stop. if you try to pop the ball bearings out of the teflon retainer, or pull the whole unit out there is a very good chance that you will not be able to get it back together.
    clean the bearings while they are still in between the races with a tooth brush and tooth pick (or something else small and pointy), relubricate.

this is the best exploded diagram i could find in 30sec, but it is missing the shields (the blue part in the first pic)
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01

I had a rear wheel laced to a new Phil hub making noise once. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Everything seemed right. The problem ended up being the presta valve stem vibrating against the valve stem hole on the rim. I didn't want to use a valve stem nut on the rim because I was worried about scuffing the paint where the nut touches the rim. So anal, I know. I ended up putting a lill piece of leather inbetween the rim and the valve stem nut. Fixed.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: suicide_doors
    Posted By: wes m.Cheap bmx freewheels will do that from time to time.

They hiss? Maybe I'm just associating this hissing sound with a rubbing sound.

I wouldnt describe it as a hiss but its sort of hard to describe a sound over the internet. They do make some sort of noise at the end of their life.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Thanks aaron, I really appreciate it. I will try this out in the next week with my hear wheel first. I have an old wheelset lying around in case I fuck it up (maybe I will practice on this set first). Finding a diagram like that in 30 seconds is pretty amazing, so you shouldnt devalue your advice or effort.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

goolge image search "cartridge bearing diagram". its on the first page of results.

i'd really only do this if you have nothing to loose by trying to relube the bearings. not that its difficult but you do need to be careful removing/installing the bearings from the hub shell so you don't damage the interface
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

I will defnitely try it then on my old wheelset at some point. I need to learn, but I know it will indeed be difficult because this is one of the bike parts I have not made it to yet on my to do list, and I am not very good with this kind of stuff. Its a lot of trial and error with me (there is a lot of evidence of this on the forums...the brake hood thing, the creaky bb thing, the list goes on). I would never be able to use any of you as a reference if I wanted a job at a bike shop jajajaja. Thanks again!
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010

Sorry to resurrect, but hoping someone could give me some quick advice (Aaron, if you get a chance that would be great).

I have the impression that my hubs arent "rolling" smoothly, and this is why I asked about maintenance. My bike is in pieces right now, and when I play around with the spindle in the hub (where the wheel is bolted on to the dropouts), it doesnt seem to rotate as smoothly as before, or even as smoothly as my old hub spindle (from an alex and generic hub wheelset). Is there any way I can lubricate the hub so in spins more freely without taking the hub apart as you commented? I am still a little worried I may screw something up and today is going to be difficult to work much on my bike other than to put it back together after cleaning my drivetrain and BB shell (macroeconomics exam tomorrow...ehhhhhhhhhh). I realize you said I can adjust the hub cones and nuts, I guess I just wanted to make sure this is what i should do in this case.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.