velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordpc1192
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010 edited

I've been noticing in many videos and whatnot it seems like people who are riding urban fixed gear/doing tricks are riding smaller and smaller frames..

I was just wondering how tall you guys are and what size frame you are riding?
    I'm 6'1-6'2 riding a 56cm.
    Oh man. Get ready to read so many complaints. Cry babies !!
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010

I am 5'10" and ride a 56cm with road geometry and a 54cm with tri geometry. Obviously sizing has many factors, but a very blanket observation of average would tell me you should be riding a 58cm
    I'm borderline 6' and ride 58s... but I have long legs. I need top tubes <57cm.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Posted By: dpc1192I've been noticing in many videos and whatnot it seems like people who are riding urban fixed gear/doing tricks are riding frames with a sloping top tube and a top tube length that complements the dimensions of their upper body.

FTFY

(helps if you know what you are looking at)
    i'm 6'1 and ride a 53cm
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I'm 5'9" and I wear size 11.5 shoes.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

and you bike size is?....
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

When trying to prove a point it helps if you stick to the subject that you're relating to inconclusive.

Maybe should take a poll on if some of you guys have ever had a very proper bike fit - and yeah, I'm sure the pros know that a bike fit is not important also ;/
    I am 5ft 10 I ride a 50-53
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I'm 5'-9" and I ride a 52st X 55tt frame.

I can't afford a "proper" bike fit but I have bent the ears of a few local shop owners who know their shit and they think a 55cm top tube is fine for me, although I feel a little stretched out. I could solve this issue with a 10mm shorter stem or with a frame that has a 54cm top tube. I have also done the battery of measurements and DIYed my bike fit as best I can to get seat height and fore/aft location as dialed in as I can.

You are expecting bikes that are used for tricks to fit the same way a bike would fit for the road or track. If you are doing tricks you will want a lower standover height, and lower bars so it is easier to pull up the front end. At the same time you will want risers so that the handlebars ends clear the top tube. This is why there is a sloping top tube and a small head tube (also because the BMX companies already have a bin full of 4" integrated headtubes sitting around). That is with the frame appears to be "too small" because you don't understand its design parameters. Do you really think that companies like Volume, FBM, Milwaukie, SubRosa, etc. Are just pulling their frame geometry and size recommendations out of their ass? Do you reallly think someone working on tricks day after day doesn't know what works for them to do tricks?

If you really look at the picture you provided, you can see the frame is NOT meant for a shorter rider. The top tube is much longer than the seat tube. Traditional road/track geometry is closer to being "square".

You have to think of the sizing for fixed gear freestyle to be more in line with the sizing for an MTB: more standover height, with the top tube being the more important size consideration.
    • CommentAuthorboy on byke

hi im a boy on a bike thats 5-7 and i ride a 53 and a 51......i also rode 9" .....hahahaha
    I'm 5'7" and I ride a 49 compact or about a 51x53. But that's useless because Mark is right, you're talking about trick specific frames, not urban frames in general.

BMX beats fixed tricks any day of the week. It's like comparing a normal guy walking to a guy walking with two crutches and a neck brace.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Posted By: suicide_doorsBMX beats fixed tricks any day of the week. It's like comparing a fat guy trackstanding a tallbike to a guy walking with two crutches and a neck brace.

Is that you? I feel like I've seen this photo before.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010 edited

yeah . . . . that's me
    Weird. Also weird that you have a photo of the situation I described.
    I'm 6' with a 34" inseam, and ride either a 58cm or 59cm depending on the frame. I feel more comfortable on a bigger bike.

I think the reason you see most the "trick fixie guys" riding smaller frames is because they came from a BMX background, where they are used to riding tiny ass bikes, so they feel more comfortable on a tiny bike. Plus, they wont hit their nuts on the top tube and the bike is easier to do wheelies and such. Most want a smaller frame for maneuverability reasons. If they were actually concerned with RIDING the bike, and riding it any fair length distance, they would realize the bike is too small most likely. I can almost guarantee most people doing tricks on track bikes are not getting the bikes sized properly to them, and just buy a size almost blindly.

Volume, the maker of one of the leading "fixie trick" frames does not even make a size big enough to properly fit someone of my height. They are all too small.
    • CommentAuthorYo
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010

5'9" with a 30" inseam.

I have a 52/50, a 53/52, and a 54.5/54. I like the way my 53 fits the best, the 54.5 is probably what I should be fitted with, and my 52 is wayyy too small and is usually used w risers for short trips or rain rides, but it's very agile. I have the most endurance on my 54.5.
    5'9", 53cm Cannondale frame, with a 110mm stem that's a touch too long.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.