velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010

This popped up in the ads on my facebook the other day:

http://millipedechaincovers.com/

Opinions?
    • CommentAuthorewurl

just looks like some wire loom.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12

that's EXACTLY what it looks like. i use that stuff every day and it looks identical. if it's more than 50 cents to buy one of those for your chain i'd say it's a gigantic rip off.
    • CommentAuthorSL wheeler

how does one place the cover over the chain?
    It is a loom, an LBS around here does that up for college students who don't understand how to protect their pants. Other than it catching all kinds of grime and water and falling off all the time, why not?
    ...........get on it!
    • CommentAuthorshadaloo

i dont know about u guys, but that looks u-g-l-y
    • CommentAuthorVama

it not only looks ugly, it seems rather pointless. unless of course you're worried about chain oil on your khakis as you ride to the office (fixed??)
    Both. It is stupid, but it'll probably work. H2H
    • CommentAuthorSNEK
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010

This is just a stupid product. period
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010

This is not the first time someone has tried to repackage wire loom as a bike product. Back the early days of BMX someone did the same thing. At 15 years old I fell for it. I greased up my chain and put the chain cover over it. Any benefit from it not catching dirt and debris was nullified by it contacting the cog and chainwheel and making a ton of noise (and likely, friction). Add to that it occasionally coming undone and it is truly worthless. I took it off, soaked my chain in laquer thinner to get the grease off, and re-oiled it.

If you really want to try it go to a car stereo store and buy 3 feet of it for next to nothing.
    • CommentAuthorjakejazzy
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010

stupid. just look after your chain with plenty of lube. if your worried about getting oil on your dior mij's dont ride in them.

also no foot retention in the picture.
    • CommentAuthorjockscum
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010

You can make that if you just steal some wire conduit (right word? I don't know) from some huge auto-parts store or Walmart. I did it on my first bike and I ended up going down a hill and it got stuck in the chainring.
    • CommentAuthorcyrsir51
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.