velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

As if Aesop needed another nail in the coffin, I put on Daylight, and started doing something else. Ten minutes later I'm sitting here thinking "I hate this, why am I listening to it?" You know, cause Daylight ended and the next two songs made me want to die. Subconsciously.
    Stoner Metalllllll

BTW: If I had to pick one thing to listen to forever after while riding somewhere by myself it would definitely be Relationship of Command. That album has not been boring to me once since 2001.
    • CommentAuthorride slow
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2010

Posted By: suicide_doorsBTW: If I had to pick one thing to listen to forever after while riding somewhere by myself it would definitely be Relationship of Command. That album has not been boring to me once since 2001.

was released in 2000 haha
    • CommentAuthorVama

yup, pretty representative, tho I like the stuff with more vocals too :)
    Posted By: ride slowwas released in 2000 haha

But since I didn't hear it until 2001, I said 2001...
    • CommentAuthorride slow

Posted By: suicide_doors
    Posted By: ride slowwas released in 2000 haha

But since I didn't hear it until 2001, I said 2001...

ahhh misunderstanding, my bad.
    • CommentAuthorride slow

I haven't seen anyone mention blink-182
    Posted By: ride slowI haven't seen anyone mention blink-182

ummm? ........you just did
    So in the last couple of months I've been listening to audio books more than anything else on my ride. Totally rules!
    So far I've cut through The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins, God and the State by Mikhail Bakunin, Shut Up, You Fucking Baby! by David Cross (soooo funny), UR by Stephen King, Hell House by Richard Matheson, Hegemony or Survival by Noam Chomsky, The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell and currently World War Z by Max Brooks.
    I read a ton anyways so getting to listen to books on my commute is like heaven. I realize audio books have been around forever but for some reason I slept on em until now.

If anyone's interested in really cool free audiobooks (public domain stuff read by volunteers) check out Librivox.
    Most bittorrent sites have a solid audio book section but the stuff on Librivox can be really neat and it's a project worth paying attention to.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010

iron jaiden,

I can imagine you are an amazing cyclist. I trust that you know what you are doing, much better than me at least (I myself have been in a slump the last few weeks...got taken out by a lane-divider curb 2 weeks ago, and went down with my bike after trying to hop over a curb in rainy weather friday). However, how can you be listening to a story while riding your bike and not get distracted? I know those audio books have amazing people doing the voices that can catch you off guard when something dramatic occurs. But hey, if it works and its safe that's amazing. I should make my own audio tapes of macroeconomics articles on my way to campus so I can actually remember the shit I tried studying the night before. It wouldnt be too relaxing, but macroeconomics might as well be as understandable as wesley willis (rock on london, rock on chicago! Office depot, we are taking care of business on milwaukee avenue in niles illinois), and 40 mins of something educational on the way to campus might help me before exam time at 6am.
    • CommentAuthorkneeeerow
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2010 edited

sup tune bug?
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

sorry to bring him back but:

"cut that stinking rats nest off your head. go to the barber and tell him you are tired of looking like an asshole"

I never mentioned this but apparently the dad of one of my best friends from highschool, Mr. Leonard, gave wesley willis some spare change in Chicago something like 14 years ago, and so wesley wrote a song about him (Larry leonard, the first name changed for security purposes of course) and was later given a free copy of the CD with this song on it. 8th grade was the best year of my life because of that CD. The guy also spent a lot of time in downtown evanston, but I never got a chance to see him before he passed away. Alanis morissette...

McDonalds will make you fat
    They serve Big Macs
    They serve Quarter-Pounders
    They will put pounds on you
    Posted By: Mancha150iron jaiden,

I can imagine you are an amazing cyclist. I trust that you know what you are doing, much better than me at least (I myself have been in a slump the last few weeks...got taken out by a lane-divider curb 2 weeks ago, and went down with my bike after trying to hop over a curb in rainy weather friday). However, how can you be listening to a story while riding your bike and not get distracted? I know those audio books have amazing people doing the voices that can catch you off guard when something dramatic occurs. But hey, if it works and its safe that's amazing. I should make my own audio tapes of macroeconomics articles on my way to campus so I can actually remember the shit I tried studying the night before. It wouldnt be too relaxing, but macroeconomics might as well be as understandable as wesley willis (rock on london, rock on chicago! Office depot, we are taking care of business on milwaukee avenue in niles illinois), and 40 mins of something educational on the way to campus might help me before exam time at 6am.

Amazing? No not at all. Very competent though for sure.
    Thing is my daily commute is almost entirely on the Cherry Creek bike path. There's no traffic other than cyclist and pedestrian and no roads to cross. It still requires an amount of concentration but nothing like riding with motorists does.
    And yeah I kinda figured I would either have to concentrate too much on the narration to be safe on my bike or concentrate too much on my surroundings to absorb any of the stories but it turns out neither are true. Listening to audio books while I'm riding is a lot like chatting with my friends when we're out riding together. It's fun. When I'm riding with motor traffic I don't wear headphones though. People in cars are very dangerous creatures and I definitely need all my senses in full force out there.
    Hey, so what happened to your carpets?
    • CommentAuthorBen Holley

I listen to dirty hipster lo-fi and lots of Jazz. Well I listen to everything, but during fast group rides I like harder shit, mostly 90's metal, I just turn my headphones to mono and just stick one in one ear so I can hear the cranky roadies tell me to not be so god damn slow.
    • CommentAuthorride slow

Cranky rodies, ahahha perfect^^
    • CommentAuthorvovinamer

kaskade
    • CommentAuthorVama

oh, the Blakroc album has been a good one for commuting.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsHey, so what happened to your carpets?

Mine? Haha I'm assuming you're referring to the wheelset auction. It goes like so. We have a three bedroom house. One bedroom is my son's, another for me and my wife, and the third is like a workshop / tv room / studio kinda thing. When we moved in we took out the old carpet in the "studio" and replaced it with super durable shop flooring.
    Well it turns out we're having another kid in July. This changes the kid to grown-up ratio in the house enough so that we're gonna ditch the "studio" and turn that into a second kid's room, in which case we need to do carpet again. The other two bedrooms have been in need of some new carpet since we moved in so it seems like the right time to replace everything.
    Probably a decent berber so the kids can go nuts and it'll be easy to keep clean.
    I just acquired a Surly Steamroller off of someone local so I'm not dying to keep my brakeless-only-too-nice-to-lock-up wheelset. Might as well get the carpets done :)

And on a musical note you guys should check out the new Aloha (Home Acres) and Tunng (... And Then We Saw Land) albums. Perfect spring time tunes for those cool morning rides.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.