velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorshadaloo
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010

Hello everyone!

So the new kilo tt's from bikesdirect come with a really long threadless steer tube.
    If I want to make it shorter, do I simply just cut it? It seems like there is some type of "pyramid" spacer on it.

I'm planning to purchase this bike in the near future, so can anyone with the newer models help me out?

thanks in advance velospacers!
    You would just cut the tube to the desired length, leaving enough room for the stem. The star nut would be in the part that you cut off, so you would have to push it out and reinstall it into the lower part of the steer tube.
    • CommentAuthorshadaloo
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010

okay, that sounds pretty simple. Do you think a pipe cutter can get the job done?
    probably, I always use a dremel for all my cutting, taking care to round off any sharp edges.
    my 53 isn't long at all, what size frame do you have? boat or yacht?
    When cutting down steerer tubes, I always use a pipe cutter which can be purchased from any hardware store. You usually want the fork steerer tube about 3mm's below the top edge of the stem, which leaves room for the top compression bolt to tighten your headset. The starnut will have to be hammered down further into the fork, about 1/2" down from where you cut it.
    • CommentAuthorScrodzilla
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010

Don't remove the starnut and try reinstalling it. Find a wooden dowell that will fit inside your steerer and tap it down with a hammer. I've never had trouble using a hacksaw and a cheap hose-clamp as a guide.
    • CommentAuthorknownaim

Posted By: ScrodzillaDon't remove the starnut and try reinstalling it. Find a wooden dowell that will fit inside your steerer and tap it down with a hammer. I've never had trouble using a hacksaw and a cheap hose-clamp as a guide.

Exactly.
    good point about the starnut
    • CommentAuthorshadaloo

oh, so it seems like I need to tap down the star nut then cut it?
    can't i just remove the starnut, cut it, sand it, then reinstall the starnut?
    Starnuts don't really work that way. In all reality I would spend a couple of bucks to have a local shop put a new in once you have the forks cut down. Park makes a really useful tool that does the job in a couple of seconds.

A starnut that slips is really annoying.
    Tap it down, cut it. You will be fine.

Exactly. Tapping a starnut down a couple of inches is no different than doing a clean install of a new one.
    Set it up and get it sized first. You can't cut steerer back on.

Oh yeah...and what Joshua said!
    The park tools website show you the correct way to do all of this, you just have to use your own tools when it comes to the actual cutting(cuz theirs are way expensive).
    • CommentAuthorsgordon1987
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010 edited

When you use the pipe cutter, only tighten the cutting wheel a small amount with each turn. If you get too hasty with it you can deform the tube. This also makes for a cleaner finish cut, since the steel will work harden and shear less. Also, make sure the rollers of the cutter are flush and square to the steer tube. If its slightly askew it will spiral up or down the tube.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

hacksaw, cutting guide, file.
    just follow this guide: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=111
    Cost of cutting guide > cost of borrowed pipe cutter
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Hacksaw, vise, edge of vise jaw as guide.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.