velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthort0dk0n
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2008 edited

What are your reasons for riding a bike of any sort? Do you ride to stay in shape, get around, your main mode of transport, etc any reasons you consider... What are the reasons you ride the types of bikes you do?

I use it for commuting, recreation, health, fitness, to keep my blood pressure down (diagnosed with hbp at 17), transport, to improve my track times, and most importantly, fun. It's cheaper than driving a car (replacing a worn tire or brake pads every few months beats the hell out of $50+ for a full tank of gas every week), and in most cases, faster within the city traffic. I rather have a rigorous adventure on a daily basis than sit around bored in a stuffy car.

The reason I ride fixed is that it's so minimal, light, and easy to maintain. It can be used like a skateboard to screw around on (although, I can't really do shit yet :P), or I can go on high paced sprints in the velodrome. That same object gets me around everywhere. That fixed wheel just ads a multitude of fun in the form of a multi functional tool that's strong as hell with utter simplicity. I never have to worry about a thrown chain when I switch gears (I keep it nice and tight). I prefer to have the ability to backward pedal and keep balance no matter the angle I'm at. Coasting is another addition that I don't find too useful. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy riding other bikes as well, I just prefer the work out fixies offer and the fact that the legs control every move beyond steering and a front braking module. This is not a fad, I wont stop riding until nuclear holocaust and the roads are all too obliterated to ride anymore.
    It's my primary mode of transport. I live surrounded by farms, but we've got a great bike path and I can get to town on it in the same amount of time as it takes to drive.

I get to see and smell the world, I get where I want to go on time, it makes my legs sexy.

I love machines that help humans do what they do, better. I love learning how to build those machines to make them well.

But also, it feels like flying.
    • CommentAuthorAlia
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2008

I ride my fixed gear for transportation. It's light, fast, agile and easy to maintain. I ride it to work and most other local destinations.

I ride my road bike for exercise. The gears make it a delight for long rides to the Botanical Gardens and other longer treks.

I ride my mountain bike for fun. The bike can take on anything I put in front of it and come out on top. It's a bear to try and take on distance rides but on the trails it's truly the most fun on two wheels.

I also have an old mountain bike (that I literally got when I was 11) that has been converted to single speed that I ride for winter commuting. It's heavy as hell but can hold up to the Chicago wind, snow and salt. It's a total piece of junk but does its job well.
    As transportation when I don't wanna ride my bucketty ass car. And especially as transportation in big urban cities where you can race a car to almost anywhere and be sure to beat them by at least a few blocks up to a few good minutes (especially in SF). Also the adrenaline is a big factor... you cant beat riding in the middle lane of a one way against traffic... during rush hour or at night. The all human powered vehicle factor is a big one and the fact that a bike is so much more personal than a car (and I work a lot on that fucking car). No emissions, the obvious and ultimate right of way (what are they gonna tell the judge after they hit you? "Well, I had the right of way."... I don't think so.), the fact that it will prevail long after cars have failed (at least gas guzzling ones) and everything else that makes cycling so fascinating and beautiful.
    • CommentAuthordeesiexj
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008

this is something i wrote a few weeks ago, in response to this same question. enjoy

I had someone at work today ask me why I bike instead of any other way of getting around. I told them it was free, fun, for the exercise, blah blah. Everything I've answered to that question before. But it made me think a bit. I remembered the first time I rode a bike since I got my driver's licence. It was this summer, actually.
    I moved to Boston with no car, no way of transportation but my then girlfriend. I was working in Boston with a 30 mile commute between work and home. I spent most of the summer getting picked up, driven to the train station, then the reverse to get home. I wasn't nuts about the routine, as you can imagine. I eventually found an old beat up Peugeot bike for sale, cheap. I bought it and took it to a bike shop to have them turn it into a fixed gear, cuz my brother was building one and I thought they were cool as shit. I picked it up a few days later and rode to the train station in Boston. Not really a magical experience, I was mainly focused on not killing myself. It wasn't until my ride home that I felt it. The...something. I can't put words too it, but if you have felt it then you know. That's the best I can do.
    I was riding, alone, one a two lane rural road in Massachusetts. Just me and a bike. I felt completely free, able to do anything I wanted. I realized I could go anywhere I wanted, not needing anything but food. I wasn't shackled by gas, or fear of breaking down, or anything. It was the best thing I have felt in a long time.
    Take the exhilaration you felt when you kissed her the first time, the wind you felt the first time you stood in the front of the boat, the freedom you felt when you picked up your car keys the first time, and the confidence you had when you realized that you didn't need to be surrounded by anything, that you could support yourself. Put it all together in a single rush, and that's the closest I can describe.
    I ride for that. I still feel it, everytime I put feet in clips and take off. Not for any of the other thousand reasons to bike over anything else, but just that one.
    That's why.
    • CommentAuthorRastamanD
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008

i ride becuase i needed a faster way to get to work and school. skating and waiting for the damn bus wasn't cutting it so i got my $12 80's schwinn sprint and put about $120-30 into it to paint it and convert it to a single speed. :)

best purchase ever!
    cause i want to.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008

the honeys
    Practical: Transportation
    Sexual: Hipster chicks love rugged dudes on fixies
    Social: Some of the coolest people I know ride
    Spiritual: You know that feeling, where all you can hear is the wind, it's a nice sunny day, you feel the road underneath you, the wheels rolling so smooth. The canks move around and around, but you are pedalling at equillibrium with the speed you are travelling at, so it is almost as if they don't exist. You notice all the guys with the carbon road bikes looking longingly at your fixie, wishing they didn't spend so much on their bikes. That feeling. Being one with the bike. The feeling that only comes from riding every spare second you have. I love bikes.
    • CommentAuthorELmo
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008

You said it all too well, "it's so minimal, light, and easy to maintain". And it's good cardio for me.

I use it just to cruise around town and run quick errands. And then there are the group rides that I do with a couple of friends, just another reason to hang out and have fun.
    • CommentAuthorMaryrose
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008

cant think of a reason why i wouldnt ride
    i started riding foe commuting but after a few days it started to become a fixation
    • CommentAuthorstillthere
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008 edited

I started cycle commuting in the summer of 1998 and never stopped it ever since. At that time I lived in Ottawa, Canada but I did it year round.

Like Joshua said, it feels like flying - but to me it is better than flying; it's a flying away from the madness, sadness, and badness... cycling makes me happy, energetic, and never feel bad no matter how the job of the day is stressful.

Cycling is very addictive; which is a good thing. Even whenever I see another cyclist on the road, I feel the human being still has hope.

Someone in this space mentioned cycling is better than sex, to me this is really true and sums it all... a greater fun between your legs!

Currently I have 5 bicycles, two mountain (Norco Cherokee and Giant Joy LX), three road (Miyata Ninety, Norco Monterey and Fiori Modena (made by Norco)). I try to ride one for each weekday to have more fun... Everyday the ride is a new ride, never ever getting bored.
    Love.
    • CommentAuthoraus10m
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008 edited

I ride to promote organ donation, to stay fit, and most of all because its fun

I received a kidney from my mom in April 2001 when I was 21 and used cycling to recover three months after the surgery. I was anemic coming off dialysis so it was about a year before I could go on a 20 mile ride. I've been riding regularly since then.
    • CommentAuthorabarth
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008

I just started riding again this summer, have not touch a bike or exercise for about 20 years. I want to lost weight and live a bit longer, then I discovered my life long allergy attack went away as long as I ride once a week.....then I discovered I can flip bikes to make money. Cycling is the greatest sport for me.
    • CommentAuthorecd212
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008

I ride to get back into shape.
    • CommentAuthoro_O
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008

I ride bikes because cars are stupid and bikes are fun.
    I am also a filthy-hipster-fixie-cunt.
    • CommentAuthorGrover
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008

Posted By: Aaron Cthe honeys
    I began really riding a bike to get me to work and friends houses this summer on my trek hybrid bike. A kid I knew told me about these crazy things called fixed gears. I thought he was nuts! A bike with one gear and no brakes? WHAT? this is madness! Right? PLUS, you can't coast??? I eventually hopped on one at a bike shop and realized, wow, this is what I want to ride. I was allowed to test ride it in the parking lot and I had never had so much fun on a bicycle. So, I saved up and bought my free spirit conversion. It is the great money vacuum, but I love it.
    I immediately became obsessed. All I wanted to do was ride around on my bike. I saved up for another bike, my langster. I'm hooked. Like todkon said, this is not a fad. I will ride my bikes until the streets are in no way rideable.
    Now to the point,
    I ride it a) because it is so amazing to just cruise around and feel so free and in control. b) for transportation. c)physical fitness d)it gives me something to spend my money on that will actually last. e)my fixed gears happen to work wonderfully in the snow!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.