velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I've just acquired a backup bike for my commute, and I really want to take my '83 Univega Viva Sport down to the frame and completely overhaul it. My little brother works in a bike shop in Arid-zona and says there's a place near where he lives that will sandblast a frame and powdercoat it for you. What do you guys think, good move? It'd be durable, and I'd be able to eradicate all the surface rust in the nicks and chips in the original paint.
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010

Sure, go for it. But you don't need to go all the way to AZ for a powdercoat, especially considering where you currently live.
    Yeah, even if your brother can get you a good deal in AZ...the cost to ship your Univega bike there and back would make it more expensive then getting painted locally.

How nice are old Univega bikes? I'm never associated them with a high quality bike company, so I don't know how much money you would want to sink into a old bike to make it a certain color.

The bike be better off getting some upgrades, new brake pads, new chain, bar tapes, etc...things that will make it ride better.
    Oh, I know the cost of shipping it won't be cheap. We were actually thinking of taking a few days off, and after the bike is powdercoated, rebuilding it together as an excuse to hang out and drink a lot of beer.

At this point, it's in the blue-sky phase, but it's one of those things I'd like to do with it. It's a cool old frame and I've gotten a lot of fun miles out of it. It'd be nice to resurrect it as a like-new ride again... then maybe I'll do it again in another 3 or 5,000 miles.
    • CommentAuthorquidose

There are probably at least 20 powder coating facilities within 20 miles of your house.
    • CommentAuthorjakejazzy

powder coating is bang on, really durable, looks good, dosnt look as good as an enamel paintjob tho.
    Yeah. There are some neat options, like matte colors, as well. And the stuff is crazy tough.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.