velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorrobl090
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010

Hello All,

I hope there is someone here who can help me figure out whether or nto the frame i bought is genuine. I just picked up a 1980's DeRosa super prestige the only thing, and unfortunately i didn't notice this before i bought the bike is that there is a hole in the top of the frame tube that looks like it would be for internal rear brake cable routing. Thing is that every example of this bike i see has external routing.

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

pixxx of the bike?
    • CommentAuthorrobl090

Try this link. It goes to the ebay page and there quite a few pics there, if not i'll try photo bucket or something.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370326398367&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4720wt_1030

scroll to the bottom
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Huh. It looks like the hole was well used and stuff, assuming he bought the frame new it probably came like that or something.
    • CommentAuthorrobl090

Yeah thats kind of the conclusion i came to. I would feel better if i could find another pic of the same bike, that way i know i am not dealing with someone personal mods of their bike. Could have been factory but i am nto sure. Than you for your input.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

De rosas don't seem to be a really mass produced bike, so a lot of de rosas could be unique or limited
    • CommentAuthorkirke
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited

Interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Super Prestige was also known as the Professional. You might try searching for that and see what comes up. Judging from the De Rosas I have seen pictures of, it appears they didnt start using internal cable routing until the early 1990s. As Parkman alluded to, though, there is a chance it could be a custom build I suppose?
    Does the picture of the top tube internal routing show cable wear as hypothesized above, or could it be where someone ground down the top tube brake cable braze on? Is there any evidence of this elsewhere on the top tube?
    I remember seeing that frame go up and thinking "this is going to sell for way more than I would ever pay for it" and promptly ignored it. Yes, the hole is for internal routing of the rear brake cable. I know most De Rosas have a heart cut out on the BB shell, which that one clearly lacks... But everything else looks OK. I only spent a minute looking at the photos though. You could certainly post this on the retro classic whatever section of BikeForums and they can probably tell you right away. I'll also try harder once I pick my son up from his great aunt's house.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

There's like a heart shaped wear area above the bottom bracket on the underside of the downtube hahaha
    • CommentAuthorrobl090

Kirke- I don't have the frame yet as i just purchased it not even half a day ago, so right now I am at the point where i can more easily dispute this due to the seller selling something that's in-genuine or otherwise spurious.

Suicide - those are all the pics that were made available. Had i noticed this eccentricity with the cable routing holes i may not have bought it.As long as it is real i'll build it.
    It really is a very beautiful frame, even if it isn't a De Rosa. I would try Classic Rendezvous or the Classic/Vintage section of BikeForums. We're much smaller than both of those communities, and generally tend to be geared more toward the modern. I'll certainly look around to see what I can find, and am sure others will do the same.
    • CommentAuthorGone
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010

The frame is genuine because of the diamond shaped chain stay's. Also the bottom bracket should have multiple recessed slots not a heart shape cut out unless it's a mid 70's frame. As for the cable routing mostlikely it was special ordered or added later on by an artisan. The decals on your frame are mixed and some of them were add on.
    • CommentAuthorrobl090

Gone - Thank you, this makes me feel much better about the purchase.
    I have always heard about the chain stays being diamond shaped; what does that mean..i can't really tell from the pic's. The only diamond shape i can see is where teh paint meets the chrome.

Again thanks to all for contributing.
    • CommentAuthorGone

The chain stay tire clearance area near the shell is where the diamond shape is. De Rosa had a special pressing tool at the time to reinforce the chain stay behind the bottom bracket and he was the first builder to use micro-fusion bottom bracket shell same goes with the lugs, fork crown and your frame has the extra stay bridge for more stiffness. Also E.Merckx used the same UD shell and lugs for is frames minus the diamond shaped stay's which was UD trademark. Definitely your frame was special ordered and mostlikely the original owner was a climber.
    • CommentAuthorkirke

knowledge gets props gone, way to go!
    • CommentAuthorrobl090

Gone - Thanks again for your input and confirming what i had thought; and your explanation. I had also sent an email to DeRosa last night and this morning i got a reply back from Christiano DeRosa, now if that ain't customer service... Anyhow he too confirmed it was authentic from 1980, so much earlier than i had originally thought.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Wow that's awesome Rob. Make a build thread boy!
    • CommentAuthorrobl090

Ill be sure to. First I'm sending it out for a full resto. I'll be sure to post here..Thanks to everyone again. Frame is being shipped as I type.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Sweet deal

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.