velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010

alright, so how much of a difference will having a "really nice" chainring versus a "not so nice" chainring really make while riding? i'm not talking about doing tricks or anything, just cruising. like a sugino versus an origin 8. is it just how they are manufactured or will it really make the ride different? comments from past experiences with changing your chainring are helpful!
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Sugino make inexpensive chainrings too, it's only the 144 bcd ones that are crazy expensive. I have an Origin 8 chainring, I don't like the finish on it but it works fine.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

It wont make much of a difference in performance but cheaper chainrings will wear out faster. I have a couple hundred miles on an origin 8 and it hasnt imploded or anything like that.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited

typically, the higher end rings are more round, more durable, and often lighter.

better machining, better material, better finish.
    I purchased some super cheap chainrings called "rocket rings" awhile back when I was trying to figure out what gear combo I liked best. These rings were HORRIBLE! They make terrible creaking sounds because they had so much flex, and they made my chain sound like a lawn mower. I don't suggest these cheap chainrings to ANYONE.

After planning my gear combo, I went with a Sugino 75 chainring and Phil Wood cog. It was super smooth and fairly quite at normal speeds, but was abit noisy at faster speeds.

Recently, I made what I thought was a pointless spending on a Sugino Zen Racing chainring. Much to my surprise, it's MUCH quieter and smoother running than the 75 chainring. After this, I upgraded to a EAI SuperStar cog and a Izumi V chain.

I'm being totally serious now when I say, my chainline is so ridiculously silent and smooth, and you hold the bike up and crank the pedals by hand faster than anyone could physically pedal...and not hear any noise from anything. The fellow at my local shop that set it up said it was by far the smoothest chainline he has ever seen.

So....yes, better chainrings make less noise, have less flex, last longer, run smoother and are perfectly round so your chain tension in very consistent with no tight/looser spots.

I guess the only other upgrade I could do to my chainline would be this chainring....but, I don't think that's necessary. Haha.

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7947¤cy=USD
    On my first bike, I had some cheapo off-brand "track" chainring. The rattling was so loud that I thought that chain was gonna fly off. I eventually changed it to an S75 and now I can hear my tires hitting the pavement.

I couldn't tell the difference performance-wise, but it made a my ride experience better.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited

Posted By: terrible_one49I guess the only other upgrade I could do to my chainline would be this chainring....but, I don't think that's necessary. Haha.

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7947¤cy=USD

I love how they use the term "ultra-round"; either it is round, or it isn't.

I think it's reasonable to assume that all chainring manufacturers (even the no-name manufacturers of cheeseball chainrings) attempt to make perfectly round rings. It's likely to be manufacturing variances that result in not-quite-roundness; things like stamps, dies and molds that aren't replaced quite as frequently, so more rings are made with worn tools. More expensive rings probably have a more aggressive inspection process, with non-round rings getting pulled out and downgraded to second tier. For example, a not-quite-round DA chainring might get downgraded to Ultegra or 105, depending on the degree of variance. Otherwise, every ring that falls outside spec would have to be melted down. All of those processes raise the cost per unit on each unit that passes the test.
    If you've got derailleurs, the teeth are cut at an angle in addition to ramps and pins to make shifting smoother. I've definitely noticed a different in the quality of ramp and pin design between chainrings.
    • CommentAuthorzmill12

thanks guys this helps. i'm on an origin 8 right now and it's seemed pretty sturdy but also a bit squeaky. it also could be my chain so i'll be looking into that.
    That'll be the chain, not the ring. I recommend Tri-Flow. Not sticky, and full of PTFE.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.