velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So, I made the decision to sell my Pista Concept, and used that money to buy a new frameset...a Italian made Guerciotti Scratch Pista. This is NOT going to be a bike for the streets. It's going to be a track-only bike for when the velo season starts in April. The frame is a 58cm, and is pretty much how I expected it to fit. It's abit larger than my 59cm Concept, yet abit smaller than my 58cm Bareknuckle. The whole frame is aluminum, with a awesome octagon shaped downtube. The fork is carbon with a steel steerer tube, and is the exact same fork that comes on the Concept.

The frame sells at Ben's Cycle for nearly 1,700.00 bucks, but when I saw this come up on Ebay for a fraction of this pirce, brand new, and no one else was bidding on it (WHY?!), I could not resist. Maybe no one else was interested in it just because it's a large size, or maybe because most people have never heard of Guerciotti?

A few of the parts I've switched over from the Concept, but I'm really wanting to build this bike up from scratch (no pun intended on the bikes name).
    To get things started, I picked up a set of Cane Creek Sprint 85 track wheels with Conti Sprinter tires (which shortly after buying, Cane Creek's Ebay Outlet put up for sale some Endurance 85's for only 250 bucks a wheel, so I picked up some of those also. Eeeek).

Other parts include a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost, Thomson X2 17 degree drop stem. Easton EC90 Track bars, which I sorta feel like a little kid with, having the loooong foam grips on. My old Omnium cranks (which I might swap out for my Grand Mightys or new FSA Carbon Track), and finally the Fizik Ares seat, which I acted like a little giddy kid when I noticed the black and white pattern on the seat, matched the black and white paintjob on the rear of the frame! Hahaha. How nerdy is that!

Soooo...after getting the frame just slightly pieced together and setting the fork and wheel into the frame....I NOTICED A HUGE FUCKING PROBLEM! THE FRONT WHEEL ACTUALLY HITS THE FRAME ON THE DOWNTUBE! Talk about tight clearance eh?

I dropped in the headset, thinking that might compensate for that extra few millimeters, but no...the wheel actually hits the frame. No, it's not the wrong size front wheel or wrong fork....rather, the frame was a manufacture defect!

Yes...a 1,700.00 Italian track frame had the headtube attached at the wrong angle, making it too steep. Right away, I got on the phone with the seller and told him and he said he was not aware of the problem, but would contact Guerciotti for me to see what must be done. After confirming the serial number, Guerciotti said a small batch of these had the wrong headtube angle. In the past, they have exchanged the frame for the buyer with a correctly made frame, but recently, they designed a new fork with more rake to compensate for the steeper headtube, which they say will make the steering angle correct and clear the downtube. I'm abit iffy about this, but the fork should be here any day and I'm going to give it a ride and then update more later once the new fork comes and the bike is built.

Luckly, the dealer was nice about the problem and are going to send me the new fork and let me keep this fork (which is fine to use on any other bike), but also sending me some free bike gear...jerseys and shorts and whatnot. (EDIT-See my posts below for the headaches caused by dealing with Guerciotti. Three months and still no fork from them, and now they are ignoring our emails)

More updates to come later, and pictures of the new fork and the bike totally built soon!
    All comments and suggestions are welcome.
    • CommentAuthorjms88278
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

Damn, those wheels are mean looking. That sucks about the downtube, BUT, at least in this situation the dealer is actually going to rectify the situation unlike in most cases when ebay sellers don't care to do jack shit once they get their money. This bike looks great man, good luck this April if I don't end up coming with!
    Thanks man! If you do decide to come with....I ended up with two sets of these wheels, so you're welcome to fly a pair if you want at the velodrome.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I just wish imageshack wasn't blocked at my school. :(
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I say you came out on top. A 1700 dollar frame for 400, a free fork and some free bike apparel.
    Jesus, that headtube/fork combination is frightening. It's looking nice, man.
    Christ, what is that? Like an 85ยบ head tube angle?
    Now that I see that the underside of the downtube is white, I see what you're talking about. It looks like you drove into a wall.

All told, though, this is coming out pretty well for you, assuming the new fork is OK.
    Yeah, the headtube is fucking steep. The tire only hits by like 1-2mm's, but once I get the new fork on there with a slight rake and bend on the legs, it's going to set it away from the downtube properly. It's still going to be close, so the fork steerer is made out of hefty steel to minimize flex. I would not want to be sprinting super hard and the fork flex back a millimeter or two and jam up on the downtube, sending me flying over the bars. HAHA!

Seems pretty insane that a high-end Italian frame builder would make a mistake like setting the headtube at the wrong angle. But as long as the new fork corrects for it properly, it's alright.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I think Guerciotti understands frame design enough to fix the problem.

More offset + a steep headtube angle = less trail. The new fork probably has a taller crown height as well as an adjustment made to the the offset. That will lessen the head tube angle slightly and move the front wheel away from the downtube.

I'm not certain this is the exact fork I will be receiving, but I assume it is.
    that is one nice bike.
    I hate to say this, but my guess is that you're going to run into the same problem with the new fork. The offset on the two forks appears to be close if not exactly the same. Can you try a different headset?

That's still a really sweet bike. Hope you get this resolved soon.
    It deson't look like you have the headset in there. Once you put the crown race on it may space it out enough to fit.

By the way, the bike looks SOOOOOOOOOOOO good. Those wheels make it look so fast!
    Posted By: RideEverydayThose wheels make it look so fast!

Hahahahahhahah, this is the perfect thing to say to TO49. Perfect!
    Posted By: suicide_doors
    Posted By: RideEverydayThose wheels make it look so fast!

Hahahahahhahah, this is the perfect thing to say to TO49. Perfect!

I'm not the one that always talks about fast parts, but rather one that makes fun of people when they say stuff like "Oh, these bars are so fast". Speed is in the ability of the rider.

But anyway...yeah, they do look fast, but that's probably just because people are used to associating super deep carbon wheels with professional riders in races. In reality, the difference between riding a deep carbon wheelset, and a regular aluminum rim is very miniscule. However, the few seconds that such wheels might save in a race could be the difference between first and third place.
    Posted By: terrible_one49I'm not the one that always talks about fast parts, but rather one that makes fun of people when they say stuff like "Oh, these bars are so fast". Speed is in the ability of the rider.

Right, which is why such a comment is perfect for you.
    Posted By: RideEverydayIt deson't look like you have the headset in there. Once you put the crown race on it may space it out enough to fit.

You're correct, the headset is not in there (at least pictured), but I did install the headset and it only drops the fork down about 1-2mm, which is not nearly enough for the tire to clear the downtube. The crown race is properly installed on the pictured fork. Even if it did clear the downtube...having only a few millimeters of tire clearance is not safe, because all forks have a normal amount of flex.

Posted By: Michael PerzI hate to say this, but my guess is that you're going to run into the same problem with the new fork. The offset on the two forks appears to be close if not exactly the same. Can you try a different headset?

Yeah...I have my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath. Guerciotti SAYS the replacement fork will work, but we will see. It seems pretty wacky that Guerciotti would custom make a fork for a defective frame. So odd.

I have two headsets...a Campy Record with two different thickness crown races, and a Ritchy Pro. With changing out the headsets, neither fix the problem.

If the fork does not fix the problem, I'm going to get Guerciotti to replace the frame, but that's my last resort. They are sending me the fork for free, but it will cost me at least 100 bucks to ship the frame back to Italy, and I don't want to spend that.
    • CommentAuthoroxfarmer

Wow! Really nice build! Too bad about the fork though, that's weird.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

i'm jealous. i can't wait to have a racing bike again.

but i will say, you'll probbly want to flip that stem once you start racing.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.