velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

It was a late night sometime in late October 2009, and I was trolling eBay for this and that. I was pretty broke after buying my Bianchi, so I was just window shopping. But then I saw it: the 1981-82 Fuji Track frame with a Suntour Superbe crankset with the inner chainring shelves removed and a 46t Sugino Mighty Comp ring, in my size, ending the next day. I still have a lump on my head when I jumped out of my chair and hit the ceiling.

I was in love; but she didn't even know I existed. I was but a peon; I had no capital to win her over. I sulked and complained, and told all my friends that if they really loved me they would buy it for me. I watched the auction end as someone sniped it as the last minute. I was so despairing I didnt go to class that day. But I got over it.

A few days later, a very good friend of mine, here known as M0THER, asked me if I could get X amount of dollars. It oddly corresponded with how much the Fuji ended for. I was speechless. M0THER fronted the purchase for me! That's what friends are for. I still cannot give enough thanks.

The week spent waiting for the frame to ship was a mixture of elatedness and agony. When I finally got it, it was every bit as beautiful as the photos, except for one small thing.

There was a crack between the seat tube and the BB lug! I tried to ignore it, but it kept creeping back into my mind. I knew it was important, so I contacted the seller. I sent an email, cringing for a rude unhelpful response. I was pleasantly surprised; he very personable and understanding, and was willing to refund my purchase or help cover the repair costs. He told me the history of the frame, and was shocked to see the damage as he was very sparing in his use of the frame, and had checked it thoroughly before shipping. He pointed out that UPS probably damaged it, and he would look into getting insurance money. I asked two shops in town their costs for repairing it; Steve Rex said he would need to replace the entire seat tube and it would be at least 300 dollars. He told me I'd be better off buying a "200 dollar track frame." Another smaller shop would fill the crack with brass/silver for 100 bucks. UPS came to pick up the frame and examine whether they were at fault for the damage. I got an email from the seller saying UPS had denied insurance, saying the packing was inadequate! He said he would file another insurance claim, though he was still willing to refund the purchase.

These were the dark days; I thought about giving up on my dream. But this was my ideal frame; I wanted it more than anything else and another frame, no matter how nice, would be just a substitute. I decided to stick with it. A few weeks later, the seller got back to me and told me that UPS had agreed to cover it, and the frame was headed back my way! Woo hoo! I promptly took it back to Steve Rex for the tube replacement in early December. He told me it'd be ready in 3 weeks or so. I figured I could wait that long before I went out of my mind. I started to gather parts in an attempt to restore it to original specs:
    http://www.classicfuji.com/TrackIntermediate_Model_Years_Thumbs.htm

I won a wheelset of 28h Mavic Open 4 CD's to Campy-imitation Dura Ace hubs for a pretty good price, but I realized upon examining them in person that the rear hub is 110mm :| I'll probably space it out to get a good chainline and redish the wheel, but I also got some nice CXP22s to Formulas for $112 shipped. So I have some options. I eBayed the OG Nitto bars and stem, CLed a cheap Sugino 26.8 post, grabbed a nice Vetta saddle off a bike I had flipped, picked up a 16t DA cog and some Sugino 75 bar wrap at the Bike Biz, and got the MKS pedals/clips/straps and cheap KMC chain via my Aggie race team discount at the UCD Bike Barn. I'll eventually get an HKK Vertex Blue chain, as well as a Sugino Mighty post and maybe a NOS Fujita seamless saddle from http://njs-keirin.blogspot.com/
    I've got my parts all lined up and ready to go as soon as the frame gets done:

Rex Cycles delayed the frame repair until late last month, and I'm waiting for the painter to do his job on it. The seller, who worked at Fuji America during the 80's (omg dream job), is trying to get me some replacement FUJI seat tube decals, but I may have to buy some from http://www.velocals.com At any rate, I won't have to wait much longer! It's been four months of ups and downs, but the waiting has made me just that much more excited about it and reassured me that I made the right decision to keep the frame. I'll have more pics once it's all assembled.
    Awesome story man! It's cool to see that the seller was a nice dude, I can't wait to see her finished.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010

Totally cool! So glad you stuck with your dream frame. That first ride is going to be a thrill!
    Ah, I was wondering about what had happened to the broken Fuji Track. Definitely keep us up to date.
    • CommentAuthorkirke
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

Its a beautiful frame, I am really glad you are saving it from the track pile. Way to go!
    Wow! What a stand up guy. I'm glad it's all working out!
    Tomorrow is the day. I should have gotten it on Tuesday, but when the painter sent the frame back to Steve Rex, he didn't include an invoice so I couldnt pick it up :/ I have an essay to finish tonight, so building it up and riding it will be my sweet reward :) I'll have to get down to Sacramento from Davis after class, build it up with the parts I have in Sac, and then ride it back!

here I come!
    I got back to Sac today and picked up the cranks from Rex because he forgot to put them back on :| Got back and saw the frame... it looked brand new! I thought I was just getting the seat tube repainted, but the painter ended up doing the whole frame, including nice white accents on the lugs! The white stripe on the seat tube is a bit smaller than original though... I'll manage.

However, when trying to put on the rear wheel, I noticed the rear driveside dropout was bent D:

I dont know at what stage this happened, but I was set on finishing this tonight and so the frame went to the vice:

Kitty watches my amateur repair with skepticism:

Mission accomplished!

When putting in the 26.8 post I had, I noticed that the seat tube lug had been replaced, and I needed a 27.2mm instead! Not to be deterred, I stole the carbon Fuji post from my dad's bike (dont worry, he's busy with his Colnago) I'll switch it out for a silver Thomson or a Sugino Mighty if I can find one long enough.

Finish! I rode it around the street in the dark, but I don't have the front brake set up yet and my camera ran out of batteries. I'll make a trip to the bike kitchen tomorrow to finalize, and then ride it back to Davis!

A thank you to Steve Rex and M0THER.
    Looking sweet man!
    Very beautiful bike, glad after all this time you can finally ride this :]
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010

A+, would read again!
    Classy build.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Did you change the wheels from the original ones you won? Looks amazing dude..
    :) Thanks guys. And yes, those are Formulas to CXP22s off eBay. I gave the Mavics/Dura Aces to M0THER. Once it stops raining I'll go find a nice spot to take some pictures and update the bike.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash

Awww yer cat looks like a fatter version of mine
    Her name is Annie, and my parents feed her way too much. She looks like Jabba the Hutt now...
    My cat looks just like yours too
    She recently got fixed and she is growing huge
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Hahaha. Maybe I should post some pix of my cat.. They are on one of my threads I think. Veggie knows.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: parkman14Hahaha. Maybe I should post some pix of my cat.. They are on one of my threads I think. Veggie knows.

Yep, cats cats cats. Vanilla is just chilling under a box right now.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

that you benson?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.