velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorgianormous
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010 edited

Personally I don't have any myself, but I'd love to hear some.

Go.................................... away. Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorJameson_C
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010

One time my bike got stolen.
    • CommentAuthorr.p.r

The third one was funny.

Posted By: terrible_one49Go.................................... away. Thank you.

okay?
    • CommentAuthorSL wheeler

One time i thought my bike was stolen, but it wasn't.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

My story is told in the bikes I have on Velospace, but here's some of the supporting documentation, tragic as it was then and now slightly funny (to me, anyway).

First, I got a cheap bike off CL as a beater, but ended up getting a little too fond of it -- too much bling, in particular -- yet kept my lousy cable lock. Compounding my stupidity, I parked it at what I later learned was ground zero of bike theft in Boston (Comm Ave and Mass Ave, just so y'all know), and all it took was a 20-minute errand and the poor bike was gone.

I was crushed, but also determined. Being pretty serious about documentation, I'd taken a lot of detailed photos that came in handy for the reward poster:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I thought it would be an easy thing, relatively speaking. I was offering a lot of money for a bike that was almost certainly nearby and wasn't worth a tenth of the reward. I put up hundreds of full-color flyers (my brother worked in a copy shop at the time, thankfully), but got nothing. Worse, someone seemed to be systematically taking them down or ripping off all the little "contact me" tabs.

As I was getting angry and a little paranoid, I started to put up these little notes with each flyer, trying to catch the attention of whoever it was who was tearing them down:

A month later, paranoia was really taking hold. I'd gotten only some prank calls -- "I know where your bike is," said a guy, his voice muffled. "Where?" I asked desperately. "In the basement of the Alamo," he said, and hung up. I thought he meant some weird B.U. dorm, but no, he meant in Texas -- and my bike was still gone. So my notes to the supposed perpetrator who was taking down my flyers got more personal:

Still no response. Worse, the person (or so I imagined) was being more thorough than ever, and this after several months. I'd put up a good 40 flyers in a really wide area, and they'd be cleaned out within 24 hours. I'd sent flyers directly to every bike dealer in the Boston metro area. And yet nothing. So my appeals grew more ornate:

Well, it took six months, but I got my bike back -- not the original, though. Instead, I replaced my stolen bike with an exact duplicate, assembled with no small amount of difficulty. Some beater! Now, of course, if someone sees me on my own bike, they could think it's in fact the one that was stolen -- not too smart on my part. But so far, so good. As for the thief, he can rot in hell.

Lesson of the story: Buy a big, big lock -- I like Kryptonite's mongo New York Fuhgetaboutit -- and always use it, period.
    That is a very sad story. I'm sorry latron :(
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: the fumingatorThat is a very sad story. I'm sorry latron :(

Thanks. I survived, though, and the moment I had the splitting-image bike up and running, my smile came back. The reborn bike has studded tires on it right now and we just came back from an ice ride. :) And when I lock, I know she'll be safe when I get back:

(This shot is from the fall, so no Hakkapeliittas yet.)
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010

• CommentAuthorM0THER

Posted By: gianormous

I see that a lottt
    • CommentAuthorlatron

I once saw a nice bike secured with a lock that went through the wheel, around a single spoke. Some security!
    • CommentAuthormymbta

latron, I had a bike stolen in the EXACT spot you did. I went into bbBikes to buy a better lock and came out to have nothing to put it on...
    • CommentAuthorlatron

That's a sad story.
    • CommentAuthormymbta

Yea, but if it weren't for that I may have never built my first bike. So i guess it was a blessing in disguise.
    My neighbors bike got stolen last night outside of our apartments. The thief overlooked my cruiser locked up 10 ft away with a cheap cable lock and went for his high dollar mountain bike. Luckily my Lotus and my girlfriends Schwinn were inside, but the whole thing has got me super paranoid. I think I am going to have to invest in a nicer chain lock. Any suggestions?
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Posted By: latronI'd gotten only some prank calls -- "I know where your bike is," said a guy, his voice muffled. "Where?" I asked desperately. "In the basement of the Alamo," he said, and hung up.

In Pee Wee's Big Adventure a fortune teller tells him that is where his stolen bike is.
    • CommentAuthors3l1n4

When my brother was 3 his bike was stolen off of our porch by some guys in a pickup. Pretty pathetic.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

Some guys in a pick up truck tried to steal my dog. Thankfully, my dog hates strangers.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: SkidMarkIn Pee Wee's Big Adventure a fortune teller tells him that is where his stolen bike is.

Duh. I guess my sense of humor was a little off.

Posted By: mymbtaYea, but if it weren't for that I may have never built my first bike.

There were some good aspects to my loss as well. During all that desperate combing through CL, I found a way-cheap (to me, anyway) Trek 520 frame that was a real gem. It's now a friend's main ride, and she loves it.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.