velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Posted By: quidose
    Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanAt least safety glass isn't very sharp. Right now, a lot of our bike lanes are full of sand, which is entertaining.

I've noticed they love to use sand (instead of salt) on the East Coast.

The salt's just all dissoved and attacked my bottom bracket already. The sand is still there.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010

Can I like some tubular tire recommendations for street use.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010

Anyone?
    Continental Competition.
    • CommentAuthorgridplan
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010

I like Vittoria Competition Rallys (kevlar) or Tufo S3's. I ride mostly road bikes; they all have tubulars.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010

I want something puncture resistant. I just got a flat and its time to change that tire.
    • CommentAuthordape
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010

Panaracer makes one with kevlar and I think tufo makes one with puncture resistance too (look at yellowjersey.org). But i've never tried any of them. I've only used continentals (on the street by the way). In general, tubulars nowdays are designed to be as light as possible, so that means leaving things out like kevlar belts and such, and used by racers who are being followed by a team car with another wheel ready and waiting to go. However, in my opinion they are reasonable for daily riding on the street as long as you're not going to far from home. My theory is that the higher pressures that they are designed for makes them more likely to repel potentially damaging objects.
    • CommentAuthorgridplan
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010

I've not tried Panaracers. They may be fine. Tubulars come in a spectrum of weights. I don't race, so I ignore the lighter ones in favor of heavier, more durable ones. I ride in and around town, usually 30-60 miles a few times a week when it's warm enough out to ride. Most at my LBS like the durability of Conti tubulars, but with me they've been puncture magnets. Perhaps it's just bad luck. I tried a couple of pairs before asking if they knew of a more durable alternative. Though I've only got a few months under my belt with them, the Vittoria Competition Rallys I mentioned do seem sturdier than the Continentals I've tried. The Vittorias do have Kevlar in them.
    • CommentAuthorf64
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010

Tufo tape = horrible experience

Leaves a load of residue on your rims + good luck to you if you're using carbon rims.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.