velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthor0S0
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited

i had recently bought a Shun Crank.. think the arm length is 165mm and teeth are 48t its Single Crank Brand New Full Blue for my Fixed GEar just Having Problems knowing what type of Bottom Bracket would fit the Shun and The Bike???
    Would Appreciate some help or Suggestions Havent gone to Bike Shop Because the Super CLose one by me Would Probably Charge me A lot just to take the Old Crank just to see what i need and might Screw me over...Dnt have tools to take it Off Obviously i also have my Bike Posted up Here.

Thanks For Viewing.

Mine Has the Chain Guard Taken off Exact Crank tho
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010

I went to google, typed in "Shun Crankset Blue" and clicked on the first link:

http://www.junkyrustybikes.net/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=14&products_id=61
    • CommentAuthor0S0

What? NOt the Info i Needed ....i have it Already have the Crank just need help in knowing what Bottom Bracket/Square TAper i Need

Posted By: MaxThrashI went to google, typed in "Shun Crankset Blue" and clicked on the first link:

http://www.junkyrustybikes.net/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=14&products_id=61
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash

"Requires square taper bottom bracket."

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you to read the words on the page. My bad, sorry.
    • CommentAuthor0S0

i just went to is Site saw Bottom Bracket:Here we have the VP 68X110.5mm Sealed bearing bottom bracket. Replace your loose ball bearing bottom bracket with this sealed bearing bottom bracket for smoother pedaling. This is a square taper bottom bracket which((( works on all of our cranksets))). They HAve other Sizes

http://www.junkyrustybikes.net/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=367

Does size matter here? dont i need to know the size of the Frame Bottom Bracket Hole????
    Sorry Man Im a Noob when it comes to Bottom Brackets everything else im good

Posted By: MaxThrash"Requires square taper bottom bracket."

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you to read the words on the page. My bad, sorry.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: 0S0What? NOt the Info i Needed ....i have it Already have the Crank just need help in knowing what Bottom Bracket/Square TAper i Need

Posted By: MaxThrashI went to google, typed in "Shun Crankset Blue" and clicked on the first link:

(sigh) LMGTFY...

On the very first page of results, we find the manufacturer's website, where we find this crankset. As you can see, the crankset comes in three different versions: JIS square taper, ISIS splined taper, I2T Power Drive splined taper (I have no idea what that is).

But, since you haven't posted a photo of your actual crankset, with the dustcaps off, we have absolutely no idea which of the three BB versions your crank uses. Seems to me that's the sort of thing you should have investigated before you bought the crank.

As for BB spindle length, single-ring seems to be somewhere between 106mm and 112mm. 108 and 110 are most common. But the manufacturer has a downloadable catalog; why don't you download the catalog, read it and see if they tell you the recommended length? They also have an email address; why not mail them and ask?

And About the Arbitrary Capitalization Thing: What are you - German?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: 0S0Does size matter here? dont i need to know the size of the Frame Bottom Bracket Hole????

Yes, you do. You haven't told us anything at all about the frame, so we don't know whether it has an English-thread bottom bracket or not (it probably does). That's the "68" part, the width of the bottom bracket tube.

Think about your project, write down everything you already know (or already own, manufacturers/models/sizes included), and write down everything you think you need to know. Don't take anything for granted; don't assume you know something that you don't, and don't assume we know anything about your project at all. We haven't seen or touched it; we don't know nothin'.

If you ask sloppy questions, you get sloppy answers. You get better answers when you ask better questions.
    • CommentAuthor0S0

Well Its not Really a Project had been Fixed for months now just that my Crank Had Broke my Friend had Gotten a Crank for me(SHUN) Just Needed To Know What Type of BB i needed ...i didnt put what size Because im not Sure my Friend Said it was 54cm.. No im not German From L.A. This is the internet which i know no one would gve a fuck about how you spell except Low Lives im just trying to type quick which im doing ok big deal the words came out wrong.. Not trying to Disrespect you..... Just stupid how some people bring up pointless things
    Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: 0S0Does size matter here? dont i need to know the size of the Frame Bottom Bracket Hole????

Yes, you do. You haven't told us anything at all about the frame, so we don't know whether it has an English-thread bottom bracket or not (it probably does). That's the "68" part, the width of the bottom bracket tube.

Think about your project, write down everything you already know (or already own, manufacturers/models/sizes included), and write down everything you think you need to know. Don't take anything for granted; don't assume you know something that you don't, and don't assume we know anything about your project at all. We haven't seen or touched it; we don't know nothin'.

If you ask sloppy questions, you get sloppy answers. You get better answers when you ask better questions.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

1) I doubt that azuki is a 54 based on the picture you have in your profile. 2) 54 is the frame size and has nothing to do with the bottom bracket. 3) Your bike probably takes an english bottom bracket 4) The spindle length depends on the crank model 5) 110.5 (probably jis) english bottom bracket 6) Written communication is important when trying to communicate through writing
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

eaglerock, i was about to say how unusually harsh (and hilarious) your comment was, but then:

Posted By: 0S0Well Its not Really a Project had been Fixed for months now just that my Crank Had Broke my Friend had Gotten a Crank for me(SHUN) Just Needed To Know What Type of BB i needed ...i didnt put what size Because im not Sure my Friend Said it was 54cm.. No im not German From L.A. This is the internet which i know no one would gve a fuck about how you spell except Low Lives im just trying to type quick which im doing ok big deal the words came out wrong.. Not trying to Disrespect you..... Just stupid how some people bring up pointless things

let the mom jokes begin
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010

Yes, being able to communicate effectively with the written word is pointless.

High School has failed you.
    If you write carefully, we'll understand what you're asking better. If you capitalize randomly, it gives false information. If you don't give enough information, we're operating on a deficit.

Please show us the part of the crank that connects to the BB.

If you don't have tools to take off the old one, how are you going to get it off? May I suggest getting a crank puller? No other tool does what it does. If, under those dust caps, there's a square hole, the tool is about $15.

That's almost certainly what's under there.

Now, are you sure you need to replace your BB? Is it grinding or something?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.