velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMaxHill
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited

I've been riding Riser handle bars for a while but Ive grown to not to like it. which be better for riding around town? both have they're benefits but which would be a more comfortable better preforming bar?
    lauterwassers are the best handlebars ever. period.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

Bullhorns would probably be better for around town since it's more of a relaxed position. You could get drop bars but you'd probably be riding on top most of the time which would probably be similar to Riser handle bars and probably not what you want. You could even try moustache bars if you're not a fan of the bullhorns.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Legislatorlauterwassers are the best handlebars ever. period.

Indeed, they are super-badass (path racer!). However, they are all but unobtainable at prices short of a dictator's ransom. Does anyone have opinions on modern dirtdroppish/moustachish/North Roadish bars that are reasonably close matches for Lauterwassers?
    I'd go with a road-drop. You have many hand positions, (many more than a track drop) and they are really designed to be comfortable in all those positions where as track drops are only meant to get you super low for a short period of time. My favorite bars are these: http://fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?taxid=223&layout=product (I have them on my road bikes). FSA also does a version of that bar called the Wing Pro. It's a compact bend, so there is less drop than the Wing bars, but they are super comfortable. Most of the dudes I work with have them on at least one bike, and many of the fits that we do and those done by various PTs in the area call for these bars because they really shorten up the cockpit, but still get you low in the drops if you are so inclined. I think they look pretty cool too, but that's my opinion. I'm assuming these are for your Ridley? That is a hot bike, so perhaps you many go with RB-021s or something for asthetics sake, and I've heard those are super comfy, I have no first hand experience though. I do feel for riding around town that risers are sweet, and road drops are a close second.
    Moustache or bullhorn. I agree with both of these ideas. Risers are only good if you're riding aggressively for short distances. Bullhorns will give you four good hand positions, from riser to aero, without forcing you to use the clamp position all the time; LW's (moustache bars, pretty much) will give you several positions as well, but they're not amazing for short/aggressive rides. Mother's totally right about riding on the top/hoods of a drop bar, especially in traffic. You're just not doing to be using the drop enough to justify the mildly uncomfortable top positions.

I use a riser on my short trip bike (Masi), and flat bars on my family/messing around/beater bike. I switch in my bullhorns occasionally, but they're 26.0, so they only fit on the Masi. I have drops, but only install them when I will be riding many, many miles in a row. I don't have moustache bars, but having ridden them several times, they're pretty neat. They may also be ugly, depending on your tastes.

I would add that, to me, flats/risers are infinitely more comfortable with thick ass grips on them. Thin grips, especially track grips!!!!, will be immediately uncomfortable, no matter what you're doing. There was a bar at Interbike this year which was 31.8 throughout, I'm sort of curious about that.................
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: suicide_doorsflats/risers are infinitely more comfortable with thick ass grips on them

These. Accept no substitutes.
    I've been meaning to get a pair of GX1s for a while now. They're not (amazingly) expensive...
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Performance regularly has the GR1s on sale for anywhere between $17-22 a set; their regular price is about $26. REI carries them, too, which means they'll occasionally show up in used gear sales (tip for REI members).

I use GR1s on everything I own with a straight bar. I have ulnar nerve trouble in my left arm (the ulnar nerve is the one running from your little finger along the outside of the arm), and the Ergons relieve a lot of the stress on it. They're meatier than the competing "ergo" grips (Serfas, mostly): The rubber is much stiffer, so it doesn't squish when you grip it. It gives your palm a stable base.
    Profile Cobra Wing. I've tried so many bullhorns, and these were the best. I also have a set of Easton EC-90 Ergo Track drops also, which are some of the finest bars....and I never use them. Much prefer the Bullhorns.
    • CommentAuthorMaxHill

I been looking at Bullhorn handlebars and a lot of them look just like this but some have a drop to them like Nitto's RB-021. Whats the benefit to having the drop in the bar?
    The lower the bars, the more weight that is taken off the rear wheel and shifted forward the weight, making easier sprints, more aero position, and easier to climb hills. However, those pursuit bars you listed have limited holding space.
    I have ridden both bullhorns (Nitto rb-021's) and Drop Bars (Nitto B-125aa). I HIGHLY recommend the bullhorns, at least for street use. They have a much more comfortable position, and I sprint, and climb better with them. They also look AMAZING with the right tape. On my drop bars, I was spending most of my time with my hands up by the stem, and when I did have a chance to utilize the drops, when either sprinting or climbing, the performance was not nearly as high as with my Bullhorns. Of course, it's also going to depend on how your built, the geometry of your bike, and the length or angle of your stem.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: suicide_doorsflats/risers are infinitely more comfortable with thick ass grips on them

These. Accept no substitutes.

Ergons are very hit or miss. I put a pair on my bike and it exacerbated my pain/numbness 1 bazillion percent. They were like a torture device. Even after a lot of fiddling with the angle they still caused a combo of shooting pain and numbness. I'd strongly suggest people dont use most of the models for offroad riding. You cant get your fingers all the way around them so they are hard to grip in "oh shit!" situations.

I think its hard to beat drop bars with road levers. The key is to have the right brake levers for the bend of your bar. Fat hoods on the levers help too. I have mustache bars on my light touring bike but I wouldnt recommend then for bike with any significant drop between the saddle and the bars. Bullhorns are a great bar for short to medium length rides, possibly the most practical for city riding.
    I (obviously) like bullhorns a lot. My next project, though, will have either flat bars or stoker (no drop, straight in front) bullhorns, probably . I just want a comfy, upright position. I love racing around, but I'd like to be able to doop dee doo more than I really can with my other bikes.
    I put a steel 50 cm flat bar on (EAI; no sweep) a few months ago and can honestly say, after plowing through road drops, track drops, bull horns and 3 different kinds of risers, I am by far happiest with the flat bar. With risers, I found myself moving my hands toward the center in a flat bar position. With drops, 95% of the time I used the flat bar position anyway. Bull horns are fun for pointless, nonfunctional skidding but I don't really care fo the wrists-forward position.
    Posted By: fixed internationalBull horns are fun for pointless, nonfunctional skidding but I don't really care fo the wrists-forward position.

I like them for medium distance. Decent aero position but I can still see where I'm going.
    • CommentAuthorYo
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010

I have risers, which I like, and as mentioned are good for quick, short distances.

Bullhorns are awesome; they get good weight over the front wheel and let you really get down. I've used the RB-021 and the RB-018, I prefer the drop 021.

I like track drops, but agreed that you'll probably hang out on the tops too often to justify using them. Road drops are really versatile, but I personally don't dig the aesthetics. I used the B125, and these are going back on my next build.
    I hate road drops, especially on a track bike. Without hooded brakelevers, you cannot use your hands on top like you would with bullhorns...and who would want to ride with two useless brakelevers on a track bike? Second, because of the bend of most road bars, when standing up and sprinting while holding onto the drops, I find my wrists hit the tops straight bar of the bars. This does not happen with track drops, due to the natural bend of the bars.
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010

I PERFER PURSUIT BARS.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.