velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthors3l1n4
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010 edited

I took off my back wheel to replace my tire and now I can't get my derailleur back on (to the rear dropout?)... I don't even remember what it looked like to begin with (other than the crappy small picture of my bike on my page.) Every picture/video I've seen of them are different looking from mine. I know it's a ridiculous question but I've been staring at it and trying different things for hours and it's totally escaping me...

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with

Help please? heh
    Heh. Yeah.

You're working against the spring in the derailleur. Take chain off the chainring so it's not pulling on the derailleur, then tighten the nut over the derailleur hanger to put it in place.
    • CommentAuthors3l1n4
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010 edited

Thanks..

so I put the derailleur hanger on the rear dropout, then put the washer and nut on? It won't fall off? There's a small hole on the derailleur hanger so what do I do with that, I dunno what the hell I'm doing.......

here's a more clear picture:

If someone could explain it on the picture in Paint or something that'd helpful so I can visualize it better. Maybe I'm over thinking this?!
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010 edited

There should be a little piece for it to screw into. You line that up in the dropout and tighten the small screw to hold the derailleur hanger in place. Then you tighten down the axle nut on top of it. If you hadn't undone the little screw the derailleur would have stayed put.

Hint # 1: the axle will not be sitting at the back of the dropout.

If the little piece is missing, forget about the little screw, it's not necessary it just makes your life easier when taking things apart and putting them back together.

The easy way to do this is to tighten the left axle nut first, somewhere around the middle, (where the paint is worn away from years of tightening down the axle in one place) and then tighten the right axle nut. If that little screw is missing, this is when you slide it into place in between the axle nut and the dropout.

Hint # 2 : Only loosen up axle nuts enough to remove the wheel don't ever take them all the way off, unless you like losing washers and making things more difficult than they need to be.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010

It mounts like this

• CommentAuthors3l1n4

Thank you SkidMark I know exactly what needs to be done now!!!!
    Awesome!

By the way, thanks for the great pics.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Skidmark, that's a great pic. +1
    3l1n4 - the little piece you can't see in the pic is "D" shaped and fits the dropout. As stated above, you don't need it, but for the future, I would run down the the LBS or coop and get one. It does make it much easier to remove/reinstall your wheel.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Amazing how one photo from the original poster can make things crystal clear. I think every one of us has done it, loosened everything up and then when the wheel is popped out the derailleur goes flying.

The reason the picture helped so much is because it show what type of derailleur hanger it was without the op being able to describe it.
    • CommentAuthors3l1n4

I did have the "D" shaped piece, I just didn't know where it came from; it AND the screw fell off when I was messing around. Naturally when taking the wheel off I just kinda went for it and then had to deal with this afterward. Lesson learned!!
    This is a familiar sad story. I wish Velospace had been around when I was dealing with it.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: s3l1n4I did have the "D" shaped piece, I just didn't know where it came from; it AND the screw fell off when I was messing around. Naturally when taking the wheel off I just kinda went for it and then had to deal with this afterward. Lesson learned!!

Vital little bits hitting the floor and disappearing forever; the story of my life...

FYI, you can buy both replacement "D"-shaped pieces+screws and full replacement derailleur hangers. Sunrace makes a cheapie steel hanger that you can often find at LBSes for $5-10; they may also have discarded ones from other customers. In the alternative, Loose Screws in Medford OR carries a bolt+D shaped nut package (no hanger) for $2.90 + shipping.
    • CommentAuthors3l1n4
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

It took me a total of about six hours over the last four days, but I finally got the derailleur hanger back on. Thanks a lot guys!
    Wow, that's some dedication. Just so you know, if you have that much trouble again, a good shop would probably have done it for free.
    • CommentAuthors3l1n4

Yeah, I'm sure, but I felt like I needed to do this myself. It was a ridiculously easy fix, it was just getting the positioning just right that was the tricky part!
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

+1 for sticking with it.. the only way to learn
    I totally agree. But often, especially when it comes to derailers, people at the lower end of the experience spectrum end up doing more harm than good by adjusting the derailer themselves. You're right, though, that's the only way to learn. But it does help when there's someone standing behind you giving you suggestions/instructions.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

We're here for ya!
    Man. I'd have given up way before then.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.