velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorplateau77
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009

Hi guys,

I'd like to hear your experiences with Spinergy Rev-X front wheel. I recently got one, comparably cheap over ebay with serial number 289341, not the oldest one, close to 300000 ... I read a lot of terrible stories about those wheels. I try to mount it as front wheel of my Bare Knuckle and I'm little bit scared about it right now. Did anyone of your ride it for a long time in the city?

thanks!
    I haven'r ridden the wheel myself, but here are some reviews

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/wheelsets/spinergy-inc/PRD_28324_2490crx.aspx
    • CommentAuthorplateau77

thanks man!
    • CommentAuthorgreg

I had one for a while, it rode just fine. Some have blown up but any carbon rim can fail catastrophically
    • CommentAuthorYo

Despite the horror stories out there I can't believe people still spend money on these wheels.
    • CommentAuthorpeterabbit

if you have the x-beam tensioners they're usually fine, kinda look like a brake bridge but between the spokes. not gonna catastrophically explode but they definitely have a shelf life.
    • CommentAuthormrymeski

If I were you I would sell it and buy a hand built spoked wheel that DOESN'T have a shelf life instead of wasting money on obsolete technology
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Why buy lugged frames when you can buybtig welded aluminum in that case?
    Rode them front and rear on a road bike for a spell. The flex like crazy, but the ride quality is great and the aero benefit is easily felt at 25mph and up. I'd say ride it but avoid potholes.
    • CommentAuthorStraightUp
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009 edited

I met a guy once at a bike shop in Durango, CO who worked for Spinergy and asked him about the RevX wheels because he was riding a set himself - on his cruiser! He said that they do fail - he claimed he could easily fold one over in the parking lot - but if you can get one for less than $100, it wouldn't be a bad deal. Hope this helps.
    I see some people tricking with them I just wonder when the wheel will fail on them
    he claimed he could easily fold one over in the parking lot - but if you can get one for less than $100, it wouldn't be a bad deal

The dude is willing to pay $100 to bust his face? How much will he pay me to kick him in the nuts?
    • CommentAuthorplateau77
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009

Thanks guys, so I'm not really sure what to do ... I do have some hand built spoked wheel, they are fine ... but I wanted a christmas present, that's the point. think I will ride it every now and then.
    I saw a video of a bunch of drunk guys trying to destroy one, and they succeded, but it took a while...
    • CommentAuthorplateau77
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009

Thanks, I would not try to destroy it :-)
    • CommentAuthorBamfs01
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009 edited

I owned one for a summer and road it about 5 miles per day. I once road it down a steep grassy hill super fast. So dumb but funny as hell. My steel fork buckled sending me airborn. The wheel was fine and road true. The end result was an expensive shoulder injury, upgraded fork and upgraded health insurance.

Edit: I weighed 205 lbs. at the time.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2010

Posted By: gregWhy buy lugged frames when you can buybtig welded aluminum in that case?

I don't know of any catastrophic failure associated with lugged steel.

Carbon is great if you are a sponsored racer, and you get new stuff every season.
    Posted By: SkidMark
    Posted By: gregWhy buy lugged frames when you can buybtig welded aluminum in that case?

Carbon is great if you are a sponsored racer, and you get new stuff every season.
    i think he was insinuating that legged steel is obsolete technology
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010

Posted By: alexisfaster
    Posted By: SkidMark

i think he was insinuating that legged steel is obsolete technology

You're a few steps behind in the thread. This is the sequence that led to greg's post:

Posted By: peterabbitif you have the x-beam tensioners they're usually fine, kinda look like a brake bridge but between the spokes. not gonna catastrophically explode but they definitely have a shelf life.

Posted By: mrymeskiIf I were you I would sell it and buy a hand built spoked wheel that DOESN'T have a shelf life instead of wasting money on obsolete technology

I am reasonably confident that Our Chicago Overlord knows and respects lugged steel technology.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.