velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormeatroll
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008 edited

bike parts or body parts. bike related only.
    i'm currently out with a broken collarbone.. never drinking and riding again. ive only fallen 3 times, and all 3 times were whilst drunk. smashed 2 helmets in the process, so, im a pretty big enthuiast for brain buckets.
    other than that, ive broken 3 pairs of soma clips, and uh.. thats about it.

edit: totally forgot, broke a rear axle once. i was riding a couple days after i had been hit by a car, QR shot off my bike with a "BANG". fortunately the people who hit me were more than willing to pay up, got paid $300 and bought my first fixed wheel. that's actually how i built my first fixed gear :)
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008

Broken helmet in a crash, nail through two parts of the same tire, loosened up some teeth.

Nothing major but enough to ride a little more conservatively
    • CommentAuthorcupidstunt

Broke right collarbone twice riding fixed no brakes.

the first one i went headlong into a car and managed to turn my body at the last instance to take the impact on my shoulder. i was lucky, i wasn't wearing a helmet
    the second was a light collision 3 months later into a car who suddenly stopped and re-broke it.

i still ride brakeless but prefer learning tricks nowadays rather than doing alleycat manoeuvers. safer and less stupid
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

2 spokes
    1 pedal
    2 cranks (f truvativ)
    1 strap
    1 toe cage
    blown out two tubes
    bent a fork
    • CommentAuthort0dk0n

My first fixie, a shitty aluminum bike off ebay for $300 (I was really anxious to try it out, but I didn't have any friends with fixies at the time... sooooo). I broke it within a month or so of having it by crashing into a garage (I had my hands in the middle of my bars, the brake lever was on the reach of the left drop, it happened so fast, I couldn't get to the lever in time!). So, I busted my chin open doing that... Also from that same bike, I broke the bottom bracket because I didn't check to make sure it was initially installed properly, which it wasn't. When I got my Pake frame, I put the same wheels on it from that previous bike just to hold me over... 2 weeks go by, and I strip the hub from skidding on it too much. So I replaced the wheel with an Alexrim.

I got rid of my Alexrim the other day though since I finally got my dream wheel (red Phil Wood hub laced with black spokes to a red Deep V, phil wood lockring and cog as well...). Other things I've broken were two tires (I was skidding on a retarded ass 48:16 ratio till 2 months ago, when I changed it to 48:17, then finally to 44:17). I'm actually pretty happy though that I got that first bike, it was a hard lesson in life to be more patient when I get excited over a new obsession. It also forced me to learn a lot more about bikes and I ended up building a pretty strong machine to maneuver on. Mix and match of Japanese, Thai, and American parts =D. OOH, and I also turned out to like fixed gear, so in the end, it wasn't toooo much of a waste of money, that first bike anyway >_>.
    • CommentAuthorVman
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008 edited

crunched a rear deep V while getting hit by a car last week. tire/innertube on the rim were unharmed!

..dont trust anything with an engine block & 4 wheels!
    My left collarbone has finally stopped hurting from an over-the-bars maneuver I did about six weeks ago. The doctor said that I may have cracked it, but I certainly at least bruised it. I couldn't sleep on my side for about a month. It looks like that's the popular choice of self-wrecking due to non-self-checking here.

I also did a face plant when I was 19. Front wheel came off while riding. I don't precisely remember the event, but man, that was rough. Apparently, I looked awful. You could see the bone in my chin that had to be sewn up and the road rash on my cheek didn't tan the same for 5 or 6 years.

Bike parts, though, just seem to wear out. I broke a chain bombing down a mountain path once, but everything else has been worn out BBs, worn out cassettes, stretched cables, and the like. I've gone through more than my share of tubes, though. I'd guess something like a dozen tubes a year for 5 or 6 years running now.
    i broke a chain skidding down a hill in sf
    i thought i was going to die!
    but now i upgraded everything, so i shouldnt be weary about breaking my chain anymore
    • CommentAuthorpockmark
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2008

a few necks while riding through the city...
    • CommentAuthorjellyfish
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008 edited

taco'd rear wheel, bent fork (bike rocket), few spokes, soma cages, bent frame, cracked rim, and i had a hub strip out; held it together with gorilla glue for six months!
    wasn't me but someone did...
    • CommentAuthort0dk0n
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008

Just this last Tuesday I broke my left arm the second time (first time was on a skateboard). I wasn't thinking while I bombed a hill in my drops, ended up going out of control when I turned an intersection on the side of my house, and I couldn't throw a skid stop nor reach my front brake (which I idiotically have not 3mm from my stem). So, I ended up crashing on the side of my house... Luckily my father was home to get me to the hospital. It's not too bad now, they installed two plates and used a splint instead of a cast. If anyone is interested to see some gnarly pictures my parents took of the break, you can find them here. Be warned though, they're not for the faint at heart, and might not be work safe.
    ouch
    • CommentAuthoroxfarmer

Damn, those flicks are nasty. Hope it heals well.
    4 clips (one one of them plastic) , 2 formula hubs, too many tires, dented deep v (still true though), 2 spokes, fork is probably bent, glasses from first leg over attempt, bunch of tubes.
    • CommentAuthormeatroll

Posted By: t0dk0nJust this last Tuesday I broke my left arm the second time (first time was on a skateboard). I wasn't thinking while I bombed a hill in my drops, ended up going out of control when I turned an intersection on the side of my house, and I couldn't throw a skid stop nor reach my front brake (which I idiotically have not 3mm from my stem). So, I ended up crashing on the side of my house... Luckily my father was home to get me to the hospital. It's not too bad now, they installed two plates and used a splint instead of a cast. If anyone is interested to see some gnarly pictures my parents took of the break, you canfind them here. Be warned though, they're not for the faint at heart, and might not be work safe.

fuck man, my condolences, i feel your pain. you probably already know this but make sure to give it plenty of time to heal before you start riding again. being off the bike sucks :(
    • CommentAuthorbuckydcxvi
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008

you got fucked up!
    broke both wrists at the same time a couple years ago...

some dude in a POS car sped up to pass and took a right about five feet ahead of me...no signal, nothing. he slowed around the corner and i slammed right into passenger side. my wrists both hit the top of the car where the doors meet the roof and SNAP, game over. he stopped his car, looked back at me laying on the ground for a second and rolled out.

went to the hospital and got casted up (both beyond my elbow so I was stuck in a permanent frank the tank pose). a couple days later i saw c.c. deville in a bar and he signed both casts...so that made it all better.
    • CommentAuthort0dk0n
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008

Hah, thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. Meatroll, I've been thinking of getting one of those gadgets that holds your rear wheel up and turns your bike stationary. This way I can stay in shape when I do go back to my bike, but also to help improve my peddling form forward and hopefully learn backward. But if not that, I'd like to do something to keep my legs in shape as well as my body while I'm paralyzed.

Madsquabbles, that dude is a fucking cunt for just riding away... Hopefully guilt ridden karma lead him steady fast into a brick wall. Are you out of your casts now? If so, how long did it take to regain your wrists functions in physical therapy?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.