velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009

So, is there any prospect at all of a velodrome getting built here now that we didn't win the Olympics? I've never been to a velodrome and I don't feel like driving to Northbrook. What do you need to do to start one? I can't find any information about this through Google.
    • CommentAuthordmdeford

Have you been to the one in Kenosha? I'm closer to Kenosha than I am to Chicago but... I bet there'd definitely be a lot of supporters for this. Good luck.
    I know it takes alot, alot of money, they have been talking about it for some time here in St. Louis are.
    i thought they kinda refurbished the old one in st. louis?
    They constantly work on it, but its still asphalt, and its not as professional as it can get if you know what I mean. Its a happy medium for us locals, and hold some competitions here, but I believe we want more than just that.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

My neighbor's dad was one of the main guys who campaigned for hellyer velodrome in san jose, ca to be built. It IS possible. If you plan on making this velodrome a public institution you are going to need to make some connections and harass a lot of public officials for years. Its hard to get funding for anything that doesnt have a tangible benefit for an elected official.
    Posted By: wes m.My neighbor's dad was one of the main guys who campaigned for hellyer velodrome in san jose, ca to be built. It IS possible. If you plan on making this velodrome a public institution you are going to need to make some connections and harass a lot of public officials for years. Its hard to get funding for anything that doesnt have a tangible benefit for an elected official.
    Exactly, I mean there is a place they have out here to build it, right now its just getting the funds, and getting the right people to let it be funded. This talk has been going on for 2+yrs or so.
    i have a cousin that lives in st louis so if it ever becomes somthing great i would have to pay her a visit more often. if you know what i mean.
    Do you ever check out stlbiking.com?
    nope. never heard of it.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Talk to Marcus at yojimbo's, he was talking about a private/publicly funded velodrome a few years ago. Not sure if things are still in the works, but its worth a phone call or drop-in
    Posted By: carbon fiber15nope. never heard of it.
    Its our local forum, its nothing to big, but its something for st. louis.
    thats cool i will check it out when i get home from school.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.