velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey, how do folks, (Greg, especially, since he's the boss of the applesauce) feel about people posting to the forum when they put up a new build? I, for one, would really like to see the bikes of the people I talk with, and the front page cycles way faster than it used to. I used to be able to check it every two days and still see everything.

I think folks don't do it because they feel it would be spammy and self-aggrandizing, but I think it's what we're here to see.

Thoughts? Non-binding votes? Fatwas from on high?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009

Yeah, I was thinking of posting build thread for the bike I'm building right now but thought people might not like it. Should I?
    I like build threads. I thought about making one, but at the rate things are going it would only be updated about twice a month. I made the page for the bike into a build thread of sorts.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Hmmm. The one drawback I can see is that it'd really crowd up the forum. One possibility is to start another category: New Builds. At some point, once the new thread traffic gets thicker (and more lustrous), you could have the velospace.org/forums page broken into tabs for each category.

Personally, I'd have no beef with a thread for each new build project, so the peanut gallery could rag on each project boy for his component choices before he's already blown his parts budget :-0
    Posted By: veggieYeah, I was thinking of posting build thread for the bike I'm building right now but thought people might not like it. Should I?

Only Greg can say what we should or shouldn't do. He's the Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla.

Myself, I'd like to see it. I don't think it would clog things, since it's what the forum's about. Particularly if a given build stayed within its thread. It would automatically bump when you posted new pics.

I think it would be educational for everyone, m'self.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Ill post it then.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I just finished building my Premium Deathtrap BMX.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

It takes me about 3 years to get a bike dialed in. Maybe I'll try testing everyone's patience sometime. Next on the list is a new bmx bike. By the way, bmx is underrepresented on this site especially considering that nearly all of us rode bmx. bmx build threads!
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009

Do it
    Posted By: eaglerockyou could have the velospace.org/forums page broken into tabs for each category.
    I suggested something like this couple months back, still think its a good idea personally.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Posted By: gregDo it

Sweet guys
    Rock.

I look forward to seeing people's work!
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Joshua, what exactly do you want people to post on here? New bikes or like almost done bikes
    My vision is that you start a thread like, "I'm building a bike. I have a Paké frame, a rear Zipp, and a pair of Profile bars that I'm going to chop and flop." You post pictures, you ask questions, you get answers, we get to see you build your bike over however long it takes you to build it.

It turns out it takes me an afternoon to build a bike at this point, so I'll have to take pics often the next time I do it, but I'll do it with the idea that a) I can learn from people pointing out my mistakes and b) other people can learn from what I'm doing.

What I'd be really disappointed to see was, "I got an expensive wheel! I'm going to build a bike!!!"... and then nothing happens. It'll float off the front page pretty quick, but I think the standard should be that parts must meet in the first post. That'll mean that folks are already putting parts together instead of just buying shit.

I'm not interested in "I bought a bike" or "This is a bike I want" or "I got a part." Those aren't educational, fun, or interesting. It'll just be a litany of opinions about the qualities of said bike or part.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

OH sweet. My Kilo is built up, but it's not done. I guess I shouldn't post it. Right now I'm gonna get the fork threaded and put my jaguar on. Then I need to get another H plus son, and replace my hubs and seat. SHould I take pics every step of the way? Honestly, I think that I'm going to make one when I start building a keirin project. What ideas do you have? Are you gonna make one?
    I've got an idea for an 80s Raleigh Super Course with a Sturmey Archer hub and a flat bar , painted to look like a piece of 1940s industrial machinery like this:

Gotta get a budget together for that project, though. It'll cost me a couple hundred bucks.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Sounds like fun. I took most of the pics of my new bike that I figured I'd post at some point in a thread, but I like the idea of a build forum specifically.. One of the things keeping me from posting the pics is that they have to be posted somewhere else on the net to then be able to get to them. It would be nice uploading directly from the computer.
    Upload them to your account here.
    I'm going to have a couple builds coming soon, very soon. I will do build threads like I did with the gunnar.
    here in a few months i will start building my litespeed and i can take som pics if you guys want

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.