velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

It happens on every forum: it winds up at some point in a navel-gazing mode, wondering if the fun its members are having is OK to have, since not everyone there is having it. In my experience, it happens because some people feel that there's an "in" crowd that they can't be a part of, while everyone else is busy having a good time. The folks who feel like they're "out", either because they're new or because they feel like they're speaking truth to power, act hostile, then call the hostile responses to their hostile behavior "hazing".

Hazing is when new members in a social group are put through extraordinary challenges in order to establish a common, miserable experience for all members. I haven't seen that happen here. I've seen bad behavior met with mockery. Not acting like a jackhole shouldn't be an extraordinary challenge. Not treating a social group as a market (at least at first) is jackholery.

Lots of people have shown up here and just acted like nice people, given opinions, asked questions, shown off cool stuff they did. Proudxvxyouth showed up and immediately started being enthusiastic and helpful. Carbonfiber15 took the juggalo route for about 10 minutes and then started being one of the most positive, enthusiastic people on the forum. Wes has always been a giant of knowledge. Iron Jaiden's been a font of patience and information.

They ask questions, they don't talk shit about other people's bikes, they give their knowledge freely and expand it at each opportunity. They're also funny.

Just do that and you'll be a cool frood.
    ... but it's probably just best to post in Greg's thread that respond to my flummery and gimcrackery.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009

Don't forget eaglerock and that JACN guy.
    Yeah. You're no slouch, either. I just pulled a bunch of names off the top of my head. And obviously, Suicide_Doors' mom is very "helpful" as well.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

She only has so much time, though.
    It's true. She's a busy man.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I'm going to second the general idea that this isnt a top down issue. I'd be interested to see an example of someone getting their balls broken for being new. A lot of people have gotten it for posting something absurd and they also happened to be new. I dont think anyone new has posted a relevant thread that ended with jokes about their mom.

Jokes about moms have been a) between people who think its funny and dont get offended or b) said to people who have blatantly shit on the forum.

People, velospace would like to be your friend. Dont try to sell us anything, dont post wtb threads, dont tell us we are jackasses for having or not having a "break", and you better post a fuggin picture of your bike before you say anything about mine.
    i worship the rabbi.
    Aw shucks.

We've got a lot of really cool folks in our little community here. If anyone feels like they're being picked on in the forums I would ask them to reconsider that reaction as they're probably just missing the punch line. Internet bullies tend to get their asses stomped in 'round these parts so all that's left are just a bunch of goofy old cyclists, and we're completely harmless.

However, if after some reflection, you find that Wes or Josh or Ian are actually giving you the middle finger you can rest assured it's because you're doing it wrong. :)
    HA! The first words I ever got from suicide was " I dont have any actual experience so don't be a douche"

~!~ I prob should have just quit there.
    Is there some way to ensure that only members with at least one bike posted can comment on the forums? That would take care of most of the problem makers from the get-go. As for the jealous types - why don't we just ignore their comments or threads? I was reading about similar problems in other social networks and there was a really cool solution that some of them use - basically the repeat offenders get flagged and can see their own comments and posts but nobody else can! Since no one replies to their posts (which no one can see) they just assume no one is interested and go away!!

I do however take offence to middle fingers and mom bashing. I know that my posts will never deserve that kind of response and I don't care if anyone else finds it funny. Measured response. Noobs should have at least one or two free passes (for sale threads or Leader threads), and repeat offenders are for the most part just egging people on and reducing the quality of the forums - so just ignore them.
    why do people get a free pass at leader? i like mine

leader hate aside, this website is pretty civil. i cant give thanks enough for the information i get off here, even if i cant contribute too much myself as i dont know much/ have much experience. velospace is a pretty well run and friendly place
    • CommentAuthorgreg

There is a difference between criticizing a product and hating on a bike. Pointing out flaws in a product is not the same as attacking a person for choosing to live or ride a particular way
    Posted By: justbobagianwhy do people get a free pass at leader? i like mine

leader hate aside, this website is pretty civil. i cant give thanks enough for the information i get off here, even if i cant contribute too much myself as i dont know much/ have much experience. velospace is a pretty well run and friendly place

I don't think people should get a free pass AT Leader, I just meant that a new member should not get attacked because they post a thread like "What do you think about Leader frames?" without checking the archived threads first.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: wes m.I'd be interested to see an example of someone getting their balls broken for being new.

Tricky. What if someone new asks a newbie question? They could get slammed, but is it for newness or newbieness? In this particular case, thankfully, it all worked out.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

At some point every forum becomes like the local corner bar. The regulars know each other, talk shop every day, and have their own inside jokes and understand the knowledge each has. When someone new comes in and asks basic questions about the local sports team the regulars give the new person shit. Sometimes they leave and not come back, sometimes they stick around and make friends, whatever.

velospace is no different. Read old threads, catch up on the inside jokes, join in, ask questions, its just like any other gathering of people you've dealt with
    Latron, it always works out when people aren't jackholes. Asking a newb question should, in my opinion, be met with questions and explanations. If the questions and explanations are met with hostility, the jackhole gets to find out about his mom's penis.

Greg, I really don't want people getting shit for just showing up, and I'm bummed if I'm contributing to that.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanIf the questions and explanations are met with hostility

That's where I draw the line. A big part of being here is wanting to learn, or so I hope.
    Dig.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.