velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009

Anyone know where I can find a nice set of Gumwall tires? Not interested in the Kenda/Schwinn cheapies. I think they really add a lot to a vintage look.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009 edited

I like Panaracers. Retro look plus Kevlar and a foldable bead.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Cheap tires are gumwalls, you want skinwalls.

Also you want a retro look if you want new tires, for vintage you need NOS (new old stock).

I think Panaracer is your only choice for new.

(sorry proper use of the English language is a pet peeve of mine)
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Personally I've always liked the looks of Conti's ruddy brown sidewalls. I've been running them since the 80s.
    • CommentAuthorkirke

Check out Veloflex, Challenge, and Gommitalia. Vittoria also still makes the Corsa EVO or whatever in a "classic version" with tan sidewalls. I would assume you want a race tire, but if you are into fatties like 28s or 32s, check out Grand Bois.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009 edited

Might I assume this is for your Bianchi?

I think SM's correct; I looked around for current-make skinwall clinchers for my celeste Bianchi for a long time, and Panaracer (Pasela Tourguard) or Panaracer-made (Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy, Rolly Polly, Jack Brown) was basically all there was. Torelli also makes a skinwall clincher, which I suspect is made either by Panaracer or Vittoria. If memory of my research is correct, the Veloflex/Challenge/Gommitalia skinwall options are all tubulars - not that there's anything wrong with that.

One wrinkle of the Panaracer clinchers is that they're skinnier than advertised - the 700x28s are actually somewhere between 25-27mm. This is a bigger deal if you're operating on the skinnier end (most of the current skinwall clinchers aren't available in anything skinnier than 700x25/700x28); something labeled 700x25 might actually be smaller than another manufacturer's 700x23.

NOS tires introduce another set of issues. Beyond the condition of the rubber, you have to be absolutely sure about the sizes, or they may be a horror to mount. I bought a set of Specialized Turbo S (late '80s/early '90s race tire; look like Panaracer make) marked 700x25 on the box and labels. I tried to mount them on a set of Ambrosio 19 Extra Super √Člite rims, and broke two SOMA steelcore levers. I ended up taking them to my LBS, where the wrench broke another lever; and he and I each burst a tube in the process. After I got one tire mounted, I inspected the rubber; it turned out there was a "700x20" embossed on the black part of the sidewall. If you're mounting an oldie tire, it might be wise to check the ERD (external rim diameter) of your rims in Damon Rinanrd's spocalc spoke-length calculator, which has specs on a lot of common rims and hubs. If your rims are on the large side of the spec, avoiding old clinchers might save you some frustration.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: RuffinitConti's ruddy brown sidewalls.

Me too -- was particularly addicted to their Top Touring, but it's discontinued now, as far as I can tell. What's the next-best choice in the Conti stable?
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

The Contis are hard to keep track of. I just purchased a pair of tubulars for my Colnago, but I always liked the Super Sports for all the other applications (clinchers).. They stick to wet pavement and I was getting 5000 front and 2500-3000 rear mileage on them. I think the TopContact and Touring Plus are the top end touring meats now.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

That just reminded me.. If you want some pretty nice looking tires and are looking for tubulars, check out the Contis. Here is a pic of them mounted.. they look pretty good:

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg5rmk2v_2f4jtrghn
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Nice looking tire. I'll check out the Touring Plus too.
    Huh. That Panaracer would look really good on a bike I want to make. I want to do a stylistic recreation of a 30s racer (with modern parts) so I can properly do this:

• CommentAuthorSkidMark

Blimey. ERD = Effective Rim Diameter. It is the measurement to where the spokes seat. For instance a 700c Mavic Open Pro and a 700c Velocity Deep V have completely different ERDs. It has nothing to do with the bead seat diameter.

The measurement you need is the ISO/ETRTO standard size, which is 630mm for 27" and 622mm for 700c
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI want to do a stylistic recreation of a 30s racer

Got to get the goggles for sure.
    • CommentAuthortyler215

veloflex tires are really classy looking and they are clinchers. they come in a few different colors so you can chose withch one you want. i have the yellow pave ones on my bike now.
    mofukka

Ive also got a matching vintage gumwall slick black matching 20c "ITALIA" tire.
    Mofukka, so proud. 2 bad 4 u.

but sorry, i dont know where to get vintage shit like gumwalls. ask your local bike shop if they have old tires like i did...
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009

Gentlemen, thanks for the ideas! I'll change my pics when I get the new "skinwalls" as SM put it.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009 edited

Sorry I don't have any old issues of BMX Action or Mountain Bike Action to support my claim, but I assure to you that the nice light tires with tan sidewalls are called skinwalls, and the heavy cheap tires with tan sidewalls are called gumwalls.
    • CommentAuthorkirke
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009

Veloflex do offer clincher. Check out the master clincher or the Pave.
    Also the Challenge Triathlon is a 23c clincher. Used to be called the Giro d'Italia I think.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.