velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorhenrydec1
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008

hey i want to build a wheel with a 16 hole rim very deep (a lot like a campagnolo shamal) any way if any one has input on this give me a comment. is it strong? safe? also is it posable to do a 16 hole rim to a 36 hole rim?
    • CommentAuthork_phomma
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008

I think it's unsafe
    The concern would be ripping up the flanges on the hub because the tension will be so much higher. See if the hub is available in a 16h variety. If it is, it's probably hefty enough to handle it. Really, though, I'd avoid it if I had the option.
    I just send you a message henrydec1 but I just wanted to put this in the forum as well:

16 hole rim to 32 hole hub : https://velospace.org/node/4886 totally fine works great.
    • CommentAuthorbenhatton
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008

stupid.
    stupid would be not trying it out

stupid is also judging things you don't know shit about
    he is right i have a 16 hole vento laced to a high flanged suntour superbe hub and it has been fine.I ride it hard and have had ZERO problems.Wheel is still true also.Might as well try.If u have problems just build it again. I would ride this over a rear trispoke.
    I've mismatched before, mine was a 36h hub to a 24h rim, just skipped every 3rd spoke, looked perfectly fine, you have to fine tune your spoke measurements, but other than that no big deal.
    • CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited

^Wow, I never thought of that!
    Sorry to "change the subject" but I got a 74 Schwinn trike w/24h hubs. I got some 36h-26" Worksmen wheel sets & have wanted to lace onto those hubs for some time now so I wouldn't have to mess with those dammed Schwinn sized wheels. I'm going to have to make sure everythings is as I think it is, but if this works out, I think you may have just salved my problem for me!

Any advice?
    • CommentAuthorFlat Four
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010

Thread revival.... would the "16h rim to 32h hub"-idea work with low flange hubs? Or would high-flange be stronger?
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010

ive seen it done,works just fine
    • CommentAuthorRasmus

Hello guys.

So I’m been thinking a bit about the same issue as this topic.
    My Idea is to buy this wheel set a Shimano Dura-Ace CL Clincher 7850 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25007
    And then relace the back wheel to my 32h HF Dura ace track hub 7600.
    Would this be doable? And what kind of spoke pattern should this be done with?
    • CommentAuthorheadphone
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010 edited

seems like a waste.
    why not just build up a wheel around your existing hub instead of buying a wheel just to tear it down?
    you realize that you'd need new spokes, right?
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

just grab a new hub, or if you are super attached to your hub (is it front or rear?) lace it to a 32 hole rim.

keep in mind if you lace a 16 hole rim to a 32 hole hub you will have to modify the spoke length calculations you would normally get.
    I would lace it 2x
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010 edited

High flange would be stronger because the holes are further apart. I could be wrong but I think you try to get the same spoke tension regardless of spoke count. I don't think there would be any harm in building a front wheel like this. Radial would probably be OK but I would do cross1 or 2.

I would go one step further and do a cool cut-away pattern on the radius of the hub eliminating every other spoke hole. Sorry no picture to illustrate.
    • CommentAuthorheadphone
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010

that sounds like an awful idea as well.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Yeah what do I know about building custom shit that is durable?
    • CommentAuthorheadphone

I doubt he has the ability to modify his hub in such a way that would be structurally sound.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

Posted By: headphoneI doubt he has the ability to modify his hub in such a way that would be structurally sound.

fuckin jig, angle grinder, and a bandsaw. pretty simple.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Posted By: ncecchi
    Posted By: headphoneI doubt he has the ability to modify his hub in such a way that would be structurally sound.

fuckin jig, angle grinder, and a bandsaw. pretty simple.

More like Bridgeport Mill and a rotary vise.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.