velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorsoulbyte
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009

http://hypebeast.com/2009/12/trek-lance-armstrong-district-bike/

A friend of mine just posted this up on a different site. Pretty cool looking.
    belt drives seem scary.
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

Yeah I don't think it's intended for skidding, the claim is as quiet as a ninja though and no stretchies.
    I didn't think they were. Even still, it's unnerving.
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

I wonder how it would feel riding one. I was looking at the trek site, it looks like the the price went up for the District bike when the belt drive was utilized. Upgrade???
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

So is that not even a chain? does anyone know how it works? It looks like its made of plastic
    Interesting bike. It seems confused. It's not really a track bike, but it's not really a road bike either, with straight bars. It does not have the ability to be a track bike either.

Anyway, It's very interesting. Maybe Trek is onto something really big with this new drivetrain.

It seems this is a bike that would be used by the serious riders like Lance, as their "around town" leisure bike.
    Posted By: soulbytehttp://hypebeast.com
    It's a city bike.

Belt drives come around every couple of years. Right now, they're coming up because they're carbon fiber in the polymer (which I imagine is silicone). You can't, of course, change the length, so you'd have to have an eccentric BB, which we can't see if this does. I bet it does, though. I don't know how else it would do that single speed thing.

It's pretty damn good looking. Here's the non-Armstron-approved one.
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/#district

Four versions, two of which use chains, the other two belts.
    looks cool, still liking my chain more.
    Why?
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanBelt drives come around every couple of years.

Seems like it's more than that this time. Just like carbon frames got way way better, so have belts thanks to improved materials. Chains are great, but there's a lot to be said for something that doesn't require endless cleaning only to die of rust poisoning in the end anyway.

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanYou can't, of course, change the length

You also can't split a belt to insert it through the rear triangle, so there has to be a way to open up the frame -- removable ends, S&S coupler etc.

• CommentAuthorquidose

Trek dealerships have been hyping these things up for months. Time will tell..
    Yeah. I can't figure out how that happens on the District. Maybe that knobule around the dropout comes off?
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanMaybe that knobule around the dropout comes off?

That's my only guess. Just realized: No derailleurs, either. (Duh.) Has to be fixed, SS, or multispeed hub.
    I've ridden both the 2009 Trek models. They really are silent, and a little lighter than similarly equipped standard drivetrains, with no negative impact on ride quality. I have been on the fence about a winter bike ever since I tested these belt drives out. They really are better for their intended uses than chain bikes. I'm waiting for some more options to take the plunge.
    Posted By: Daydream Johnnylooks cool, still liking my chain more.

I agree with Josh, why? How can you like something you know more than something you don't?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

For me it all comes down to interchangeability. Until I can have easy access to all the belt lengths, chainrings (beltring?) and cogs I will say that chains are the better option. It also seems like a good idea to wait a couple years to see if there are any catastrophic failures associated with the new generation of belt drive thingamajiggers. I'm chronically skeptical of everything.
    I agree that interchangeability is great, but that's never going to be easy on these, and it doesn't need to be. I don't think anyone is going to be buying these and swapping drivetrain parts around anyway. That's not the point. The point is that they are easy and (almost) maintenance free, perfect for people who don't want options, just a bike which works for slopping around the city.

As far as failure rates go, the company which is supplying Trek's belt models (I can't remember the name offhand) has been making belt drive motorcycle parts for quite a while. As far as I've heard, they're on pretty solid ground. It's understandable, though, being skeptical about a totally new chain design, something which has essentially been the same since its inception.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.