velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009

I want to buy this fork:
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1032950_-1_400022_400002_400206

It has a chromoly steerer so I was wondering if maybe I could have my shop thread it for use with my nitto jaguar.

Any thoughts?
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

Totally feasible. Depends on shop rates, you may be better off looking for a threaded one in the proper length instead of dropping ~$30 or whatever to have it threDed and cut, but definately possible.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Hey, thanks man! this fork might set off my geometry a bit, the axle to crown length is actually a little longer than my steel fork. Ill look around at some other chromo steerer straightblade carbon forks. thanks for answering!
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Ask your shop if they can thread it before you buy it. Shops that have the ability/tools to thread forks are becoming less and less common. There are still a ton who can do it but its probably best to double check.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Thanks. And yeah, Bill Stevenson is a world class frame builder and owns the shop, he sure can thread it I asked already. Thanks for the response!
    Definitely check the rates. I was shocked to find out how much they wanted to charge, PER INCH (versus for the whole job), at four different shops here in Portland. If it is a long steerer, you'll pay as much for the labor as you will the fork itself. I have a Kilo/Stripper fork I wanted to get threaded for my current build and I would've had to thread/cut ~4" at $20-30 per inch.

Maybe I just asked the wrong shops, but I ended up having to go threadless instead.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Well, you could have bought the threaded version of that fork for 70 bucks on bike island, which im sure you knew. But yeah, my dad has been friends with them for years and we can always get a few dollars shaved off up at the bike stand in olympia. shouldn't be too much, besides, I don't even know if I want the carbon fork, I might just go straight blade steel.
    STEEL
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

:D thanks benson, straight blade? :D
    straight bladed are nice
    Soma and Spicer both sell threaded straight blade forks. I think. I'm not going to check.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Alrighty thanks suicide_doors. You and Benson are pretty much the people I go to most haha.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Posted By: muschologyDefinitely check the rates. I was shocked to find out how much they wanted to charge, PER INCH (versus for the whole job), at four different shops here in Portland. If it is a long steerer, you'll pay as much for the labor as you will the fork itself. I have a Kilo/Stripper fork I wanted to get threaded for my current build and I would've had to thread/cut ~4" at $20-30 per inch.

Maybe I just asked the wrong shops, but I ended up having to go threadless instead.

You must have been in the wrong shops because only an idiot would thread the fork before they cut it to length. Maybe find a shop that actually wants to do the work, most shop employees are too lazy to do anything outside the ordinary easy stuff, or they don't know how, but are too proud to admit it.

I really need to get the tooling and advertise that I can cut/thread forks because I'd totally clean up, if I could convince Portlanders that Aloha is closer to downtown than St. John's.
    • CommentAuthormuschology
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009 edited

The fork comes with the long steerer and threads to get the die going from BikeIsland. That's just the way it ships from them, giving you the choice to thread it down or lop it off to length. And my understanding was that there is no option to thread after you cut, or else I'd have cut it further down to lessen the cost. Had I known about the other $70 option, I may have done it but at the time I bought it I was undecided as to threaded or unthreaded.

Parkman, I got the redlight Stripper frame/fork so the $70 threaded version isn't really an option as it looks like they only have black and green in the usual Kilo colors from what I see. Not that I knew that before right now this moment :)

And as far as shops SkidMark, I called 21st Avenue, Bike Gallery, and went in to the Community Cycling center here on Alberta. Not sure of any of their street cred as I usually do everything myself until now, but all of them had almost the exact same rate per inch. I think I even did a CL search locally to see if someone did it on the cheap. Still seems absurd to me, but I also just had to get the bottom bracket rethreaded as well as a poor, unclean thread job on the shell ruined one of my bottom bracket cups.

Oh well, not the end of the world. I now have threadless headset, a pipecutter, and fresh BB threads. Learn something new each adventure I guess...

And for the record, I'd have driven to Aloha without a thought to get this done for less.
    Posted By: SkidMark

most shop employees are too lazy to do anything outside the ordinary easy stuff, or they don't know how, but are too proud to admit it.

truth
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009

Threadless is better anyhow.

I would have tried Veloshop, Citybikes, or maybe Bike Central. Maybe even called some of the local framebuilders.

The reason that they don't want to try starting the die with no threads cut is because you could start it crooked. It would be easy enough to create a jig to start it parallel. I'm not sure what framebuilders use, but they must use something, either that or eyeballing it is just a skill you develop over time.
    It took me about 4 seconds to devise a tool for that in my head. I'm sure people who do it for money have thought up a better one.

It can't be that hard. Tapping a rod takes a couple of times to get it right, and tapping a steerer can't be much harder than tapping a rod on Suicide_Doors' mom's ass.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009

Hahaha, settle down guys. :P Naw, they said they could thread it, and the owner is a steel frame builder, and a good friend of ours. He'll do it and I know it wont be more than 50 bucks. Besides, I alredy have the headset.
    Perhaps we can all settle down on Joshua A.C. Newman's and Suicide_Door's mom
    It's a good plan. It's what we do.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.