velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorsoulbyte
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009

Opinions? Enlighten me!

[troll] RAWR! [/troll]
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Most of them are made in taiwan anyways.
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009 edited

True, the most recent ones are. But what about the vintage versions? I guess what I'm trying to find out is differences in quality, heritage, craftsmanship ect. ect. Many of us are pretty young and I know I'l get crap for this but naive/biased. I like to get input from some of the older/wiser bike dudes. Any of you around? School is in session.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

• CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: SkidMarkStart reading

If you really want to get into deep water, sign up for the Classic Rendezvous mailing list while you're there. Warning: There will be about 50 emails a day from old-school bike nerds.
    • CommentAuthorgridplan
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009 edited

Posted By: eaglerock
    If you really want to get into deep water, sign up for the Classic Rendezvous mailing list while you're there. Warning: There will be about 50 emails a day from old-school bike nerds.

Agreed about the flood of email. That's why I prefer reading the CR archive. It's always up-to-date.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009

We could also better answer you question if we knew what type of cycling you were interested in. Tons of great bikes and manufacturers out there and even more when you start talking about the older frames. The only mass manufactured bikes in the US currently are some of the Trek and Cannondale models. Custom built US frames on the other hand are numerous.

Let us know what you're looking for.
    This year was the last year that Cannondale made models in the US. Thats just the sad truth about all this.
    Strewth. But the company lost its way with the motorcycle line and the corporate jet, and that was a long time ago.

If you want an unusual, excellently crafted, American-made bike, let me know. I'll set you up with Niall or John. They've got the kind of diligent craftsmanship and box-breaking design sense that Cannondale once had.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009 edited

The US is definitely going through an extended boom of quite excellent framebuilders.

don walker
    map cycles
    courage
    clockwork
    ellis cycles
    jp weigle
    independent fabrications
    ANT
    richard sachs
    vanilla
    moyer
    capricorn
    hufnagel
    davidson
    geekhouse
    peakcock grove
    etc. etc. etc.

these names will be legends or their frames will be sought after for decades to come. mark my word.

personally, if I had the money, I would buy an american handmade frame over anything coming out of italy or japan today (although japan is a close second).

is portland the new milan? lol.
    affinity
    • CommentAuthorgfeight
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009 edited

why buy "bike A" if "bike B" is cheaper and does the same thing.

time to go get your own "bike identity".

what works for others wont work for everyone. All these regions can provide pretty much the same thing, and it all boils down to fitment and personal preference. along with that is your budget, sense of class and style, usage.

either way its just bikes man, its not that serious.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009

some of us enjoy the craft of certain framebuilders and would like to support them / ride their frames.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009

Sorry but a bike is just a bike to those who really don't care about bikes.

Some people go crazy over this phone or that phone, to me a phone is just a phone. I had a Nokia 'brick" up until last year, and now I have some Star Trek communicator looking thing with a camera that I don't know how to use.

Some of us actually care about what we ride, or need a bike with a specific purpose (track bike/BMX/MTB,etc.). Within those different types of bikes, there are vast difference in quality of materials, components, and "ride".

If you can't tell the difference or don't care then just get some cheap POS. I don't see why it's necessary to bag on others for appreciating bicycles, on a site that's for appreciating bicycles.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009

well said.
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009

Posted By: brooklynbombsThis year was the last year that Cannondale made models in the US. Thats just the sad truth about all this.

Really? They have a corporate jet, or they manufacture one? Couldn't find any info on this from a quick google search.
    I agree with the above about handmade, botique frames. There is a true reason why people would choose a custom, handmade frame over another. The best riding frame I've ever encountered is a buddy's french track frame made with "Beaufort 888" tubing, whatever the hell that is. It rides like a dream and Iwish I knew more about it.

But one thing that bugs me about mass produced frames is the notion that those built in the United States are somehow superior to those made in Taiwan. Often when I'm speaking to a customer about a bike, they ask me where it's made. I tell them it's made in Taiwan, and the scoff and tell me that the Cannondale or whatever they saw at shop X is made in 'Murrika. My question is, who the fuck cares? The only difference between a Cannondale factory in The U.S. and a Specialized factory in Taiwan is the color of the people making the bike, and the wage. They retort with the fact that they like to support 'Murrikan jobs. Good luck, I say. People treat me like I'm some sort of Freedom Hater or something when I say this, but the simple fact is that in our global economy, it doesn't matter where something is made, because where did the machine used to build the frame come from? China. Where did the Carbon come from? Taiwan. Where did the steel to make the machine tools come from? China. Where did the steel to make the frame come from? I bet you it wasn't Italy.

Never the less, support your local frame builders if you can, theyb do something that is lost on the megabuck crabon fibre bike riders!
    I'd heard, and now can't find confirmation, that the CEO of Cannondale in the early 90s or something bought a jet for the company. Since I can't find confirmation of it, I'm a dickbag for spreading rumors.

Still, they decided to make motorcycles that wound up being worse than the competition's and that beat the company up pretty bad. Their stock is, as of this very moment, literally worth $0.00/share.
    I always thought that Britten was one of the hottest bikes ever. Sad story behind the company too.
    That's a pretty insect-lookin' motorcycle. See my Mantis for how much that's a sign of approval.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.