velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorsoulbyte
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009 edited

N.J.S.

• N.J.S. (Nihon Jitensha Shinkokai-the Japanese Bicycling Association) is the governing body of Keirin racing.
    • They have very strict standards, with the intention of preventing mechanical failure and "leveling the playing field" among the athletes.
    • Not all of the N.J.S. standards actually relate to quality as such, but rather act to promote interchangeability of parts and tools.
    • N.J.S. threading and sizing standards are generally the same as Campagnolo track parts.

Enlighten me. I don't see what the big deal is. I have a friend who talks down about everyones bike because he is such an NJS/bike snob. The way I see it its just like NASCAR, which I'm not a big fan of also. All the cars are all built to certain standards insuring no one has any unfair advantage but with different paint jobs. Me myself? I don't really care for them much really.

What's your opinion?
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009

That's why track racing is called Hipster NASCAR.
    I think it would only be "Hipster NASCAR" if kids with straight bars got on a velodrome. I don't think Chris Hoy or better yet, Marshall "Major" Taylor are/were hipsters and they are in the sport of track racing.

To the point of the thread...

I think the main thing with N.J.S. is the quality control that it promotes on products. Not to say that you can't find equally or higher quality parts than N.J.S., but it's a constant control. If a company that has a N.J.S. certification happens to fall short of that at any point, it's known about because they loose the certification. This happened to Vivalo not too long ago. A fork snapped on a race bike which caused them to have their N.J.S. certification revoked right away.

Does any of this REALLY matter for kids on the streets with their fixed gear? Not one bit, other than the fact that they know it's a quality part. But in my personal opinion, I think it's such a big deal to have a N.J.S. part because it's expensive and it boosts your hipster points. I could be wrong though....
    • CommentAuthorcage

NJS for bikes=JDM for cars, pretty much the same appeal, as far as I see it anyway.
    • CommentAuthorMANchild

I think you are missing the point. It's the 'snobs' we need to belittle - not the NJS. I think all of us here are bike geeks and we like some parts or brands better than others for whatever reason. The only real reason I see to have NJS parts is if you have and NJS frame or if you like the retro style or you like keirin or you prefer threaded parts, square tapered axles and serviceable ball bearings. There are people who like riding fixed gear bikes. Of those folks some prefer track frames. Of those some like lugged steel. Of those some like vintage stuff. Of those some like keirin and NJS. That would be me, but I don't pretend it's better than anything else or talk down to anyone about it. That would be stupid.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

If I only would have had the foresight 5 years ago to know that people would pay so much for dented frames Id be a bazillionaire today.
    Seriously.
    Posted By: wes m.If I only would have had the foresight 5 years ago to know that people would pay so much for dented frames Id be a bazillionaire today.
    Hahaha
    • CommentAuthorMANchild

I picked up a lot of those dented NJS frames for next to nothing a few years back!! Unfortunately (or fortunately) it was not for profit - I flipped 'em at cost to my friends and they are making a profit!!!

If only I had bought up every beat up Colnago, Cinelli, Masi or de Rosa I came across LOL!! I would be a multi-bazillionare!!! Or Bianchi Concepts from a few years back...or Cannondale tracks from a few years back...Gasp What about the PX-10's? Any Campagnolo pista? Schwinn? What if What if What if...Best not to think about that stuff and just buy what you enjoy (and enjoy what you buy)! If the value goes up then great. If not - so what? There used to be a time when a dented frame was worth nothing so I guess I could say I got ripped off buying them 'next to nothing'...Only if...
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

Posted By: cageNJS for bikes=JDM for cars, pretty much the same appeal, as far as I see it anyway.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I just didn't know how many people were familiar with JDM on this site. JDM is commonly misunderstood on many sites so I didn't want to use it.
    I got a NJS Bridgestone. Does it make me a hipster? I don't think so. I just love the quality and workmanship. Rides incredibly smooth but than again it might the parts on it. Lol. I hve always loved older steel track frames. But, I'm not a big fan of getting the whole bike NJS like rims, spokes, hubs. No point unless you actually race it at the track
    I wonder what the Japanese think of this utterly absurd subculture here in the U.S.
    I swear we can't do shit in this country without looking like complete idiots.
    Posted By: iron jaidenI wonder what the Japanese think of this utterly absurd subculture here in the U.S.

well, they do the same, if not even more so if anything they probably thinking we are way behind and not NJS enough. Lol
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: iron jaidenI wonder what the Japanese think of this utterly absurd subculture here in the U.S.

There is probably a guy in japan saying the exact same thing about the japanese fascination with cowboys.

By the way, here is an awesome website on that very topic: http://www.realwestern.com/
    Posted By: cageNJS for bikes=JDM for cars, pretty much the same appeal, as far as I see it anyway.
    Exactly, but I prefer UKDM, haha.
    Posted By: eddie_el_neneI got a NJS Bridgestone. Does it make me a hipster? I don't think so. I just love the quality and workmanship. Rides incredibly smooth but than again it might the parts on it. Lol. I hve always loved older steel track frames. But, I'm not a big fan of getting the whole bike NJS like rims, spokes, hubs. No point unless you actually race it at the track

Some people like the feel of tubulars, njs spokes are dirt cheap(i think they are like 45 dollars for 72 of them), and dura ace hubs are amazing and are fun if you like to work on your bike.
    Though, I don't understand buying njs pedals. Is it really worth the $100+ increase in price to have royal nuevos instead of slyvans? If you want to spend that much money on pedals, why not just get clipless?
    Don't even get started on njs saddles. Why anyone would ever want to ride on that if it wasn't required is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

Even if you plan on racing on the track, there are better options for less money than a completely njs bike.
    Like someone said, njs is a standard for high quality and safety, not necessarily high performance.
    You could build up a dolan pre cursa with mavic ellipse wheels, sram omniums, thomson stem, deda bars, fizik arione saddle, and shimano 105 clipless pedals for about 1700 dollars.

I just filled up a shopping cart at tracksupermarket.com and the price before shipping was $2,257 and they have really good prices on njs parts.

For racing on the a track outside of the japanese keirin circuit, the dolan would probably be the better option price and performance wise.

Don't get me wrong, njs bikes are really cool and if you are into them, go for it. There are just better options when it comes to performance in my opinion.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: proudxvxyouthDon't get me wrong, njs bikes are really cool and if you are into them, go for it. There are just better options when it comes to performance in my opinion.
    Wow. Im pleasantly surprised by the well rounded thoughts and opinions on this somewhat shrouded and debatable topic of NJS - For the most part NJS is really about setting a high level of safety and equality in regards to frames and parts, so that the racers can effectively battle out evenly - free for all style on the playing field... For americans like myself owning an NJS bike can boil down to whatever you desire it to be.. Streeted out/ Tracked Out / or even slightly 'Tarcked Out'

In regards to streeting NJS bikes.. I give my full trust and spirit to my Samson's Technology to Win. The craftsmanship of any NJS frame is going to be Top Notch and if you are into steel bikes then you are going to become deeply obsessed with your japanese race frame. The geometry keep me pedaling smoother and faster each time i roll out and not too mention if youre into the whole street mashing thing with clips and straps then your in for a real treat in regards to pushing the limit these frames do just that.

Built smartly and cleverly i believe me and my NJS bike can smoke an aluminum track frame in a drag race. The extra weight makes for a momentum transfer that keeps me flying on and off the bike...

But in the end ma bros, all that matters is how you ride; not what you ride. Performance is really all variable upon perception i suppose it is really just up to the rider what the performance of the bike is like. In general i dont like to compare the performance of a classic track bike vs. a modern aluminum track bike. But ya performace per the almighty dollar, well it all depends.....Not too mention if you ride on the streets on a regular basis then i believe the NJS bike to be the consistent go to choice for comfort and reliability.

Those Japanese frame builders are masters of their craft. They build with fine quality metal and this equates to a long lasting frame that helps too make the street feel smooth even when it's not.

Cheers to all ma homies on two & four or even eight wheels or a surfboard. Your never to old to teach yourself something new. Peace
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Posted By: brooklynbombsI think it would only be "Hipster NASCAR" if kids with straight bars got on a velodrome. I don't think Chris Hoy or better yet, Marshall "Major" Taylor are/were hipsters and they are in the sport of track racing.

You are confusing the participants with the fans.

Now look at NASCAR, and then look at track racing.
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

Posted By: kleansupremeWow. Im pleasantly surprised by the well rounded thoughts and opinions on this somewhat shrouded and debatable topic of NJS - For the most part NJS is really about setting a high level of safety and equality in regards to frames and parts, so that the racers can effectively battle out evenly - free for all style on the playing field... For americans like myself owning an NJS bike can boil down to whatever you desire it to be.. Streeted out/ Tracked Out / or even slightly 'Tarcked Out'

In regards to streeting NJS bikes.. I give my full trust and spirit to my Samson's Technology to Win. The craftsmanship of any NJS frame is going to be Top Notch and if you are into steel bikes then you are going to become deeply obsessed with your japanese race frame. The geometry keep me pedaling smoother and faster each time i roll out and not too mention if youre into the whole street mashing thing with clips and straps then your in for a real treat in regards to pushing the limit these frames do just that.

Built smartly and cleverly i believe me and my NJS bike can smoke an aluminum track frame in a drag race. The extra weight makes for a momentum transfer that keeps me flying on and off the bike...

But in the end ma bros, all that matters is how you ride; not what you ride. Performance is really all variable upon perception i suppose it is really just up to the rider what the performance of the bike is like. In general i dont like to compare the performance of a classic track bike vs. a modern aluminum track bike. But ya performace per the almighty dollar, well it all depends.....Not too mention if you ride on the streets on a regular basis then i believe the NJS bike to be the consistent go to choice for comfort and reliability.

Those Japanese frame builders are masters of their craft. They build with fine quality metal and this equates to a long lasting frame that helps too make the street feel smooth even when it's not.

Cheers to all ma homies on two & four or even eight wheels or a surfboard. Your never to old to teach yourself something new. Peace

Well thought out! Tark???? Unfamiliar with the term.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.