velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I saw this OBEY tshirt for a wild in the streets tour, looked like some kind of alleycat or something.

http://www.metroparkusa.com/fashion/men/obey/item/8803/Wild-In-The-Streets-Tour-Tee/tees

Names a bunch of cities on the back, its like an old 80's band tour shirt. Did any event ever happen or is this shirt just for kicks? I was just wondering because i never heard of it in Philly. With some minor googling i've come up with nothing...
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009

IDK for sure, but I'm guessing that it's just a niche t-shirt. Nice looking though pricey.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

it's fake
    all for posing.
    Metro park is potentially the only store more lame than hot topic. I don't know how they get any legitimate artists to do anything for them.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

money
    Yeah. Dude's a commercial artist. That means he gets to eat food.
    Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanYeah. Dude's a commercial artist. That means he gets to eat food.

I wouldn't mind Shep making buckets of dollars on his art if his art was anything more than using livetrace in Illustrator on top of other people's photographs. Seriously he's become a complete joke in the flatstock and graffiti community. Fuck that dude.
    Ok thats what I thought. I don't mind his work, its a little better than live trace... I just don't understand how it has caught on so much commercially. It is a cool shirt though, we don't get to see too many street cycling shirts at the fucking mall
    Posted By: WalkingDead we don't get to see too many street cycling shirts at the fucking mall

Lets hope we don't see any more.
    Posted By: iron jaiden
    Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanYeah. Dude's a commercial artist. That means he gets to eat food.

I wouldn't mind Shep making buckets of dollars on his art if his art was anything more than using livetrace in Illustrator on top of other people's photographs. Seriously he's become a complete joke in the flatstock and graffiti community. Fuck that dude.

Whats even more sad is when you realize how much these commercial dudes get paid for there work. Take a guess and then cut that to about 10 percent of that.

This would be why alot of the work becomes generic and lame.

Its a slippery slope trying to make a living off of your passions.
    No diggity.

It's not live trace. I grew up in Rhode Island. I remember when his stickers started showing up, all xeroxed. They got more and more refined over time until they became the OBEY thing. The guy's not a graphic genius (or if he is, it's not evident in that work), but at least he makes stuff for a living, and the progression of the image was evident.

Around 1995, my friends and I made some "R2D2 has a posse 3'4" 240 lbs" stickers. They were funny for us. I don't think anyone else thought they were that funny.

Edit: Holy crap what a douchebag.
    I am not knocking his art process at all. I find it very repetitive and boring but he is skilled at what he does.

As far as a R2D2 has a posse sticker. Wow! how do I get one.
    My burning passion for sheppard fairey knows no bounds. I really really don't want to get riled up again by who's obviously a complete biter and not really even that talented at what he does.
    Octopus, I realize you're excited, but I can't understand what you just said.

Fixed, the way to get one of those stickers is to go to Hampshire College in 1995.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009

Posted By: octopus magicMy burning passion for sheppard fairey knows no bounds. I really really don't want to get riled up again by who's obviously a complete biter and not really even that talented at what he does.

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanOctopus, I realize you're excited, but I can't understand what you just said.

i second that
    i agree that shep is a prostitute, but his art doesnt hurt to look at. Even if they are just remixes of other peoples work there not so bad.
    Octupus, your mad because as soon as you got wind of Shepard Fairey you ran out and bought everything OBEY down to the candle holders, coasters and ipod cover.
    Shep rips off everything he does...everything. Has anybody here seen the movie They Live? Watch it and you'll understand how much of a talentless douche he really is.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.