velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorOla Yungai
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008

i have been hearing a lot about hed 3/aerospoke rims
    and im wondering wether they really make your bike lighter
    or heavier
    thanks
    • CommentAuthorK3NNY

I have one it is pretty light. It's mainly for decreased forward air resistance since the front wheel "cuts" the air first. You will get more side air drag though. I haven't been able to ride my Hed 3 yet so I can tell you how it rides as opposed to other wheels I have used (Deep V and Aerospoke). Hope this helps.
    • CommentAuthorsixspeed

they don't make your bike lighter. they're actually heavier than spoked wheels. Hed 3's are actually for aerodynamics. they are meant to be ridden at high speeds and help maintain speed. that's why you only see them on TT bikes or Track bikes. Criterium bikes use lighter spoked wheels for better acceleration and hill climbing.

Aerospokes on the other hand, are heavy as hell. they're for looks and durability. if someone claims they're aerodynamic, ask if they've seen them used in any races.
    A Hed 3 is 1.8lbs, that's not heavier than most spoked wheels.

Aerospokes are aerodynamic, just not as aero as every other aero wheel. They were originally designed for TT's and we're at one point used by some racers or at least for training. Nowadays not by many. The older Aerospokes you'll see ("Aerospoke" is written in script on the spoke) are actually less beefy than the newer ones from what I can tell. Probably a little lighter and more aero, but not much. They are 3.5 lbs or so each I think about 4lbs with a tire, almost the same/heavier than some wheelsets yea (however those wheelsets more than likely cost more than an Aerospoke set), but since these were designed for sustaining high speed on a mostly flat course, it's not really an issue...

They got popular because some messengers (or so the story goes) in a few cities picked them up for super cheap as places were blowing them out (Like $100 each cheap) and started riding them. Aerospoke were on the verge of bankruptcy or something. Then a lil while later the whole hipster/track bike craze thing came in and saw the messengers rocking them on their bikes and boom... they became popular. Because of their looks and claim to be "bombproof" (which I can attest to, they are really fucking strong).

They could be made lighter if made of carbon weave and not carbon composite (Which is basically graphite from my understanding), although they probably wouldn't be as strong as they are. With a redesign they could probably be more Aero as well, but I doubt that's on Aeropokes list of things to do as they are selling just fine the way they are. However HED, Corima, Zipp, Mavic, etc have the "super-light aero carbon wheel" market covered pretty well.
    ok an aerospoke with the hub on it weighs around 1500g and costs around $350. i had my LBS build me a set of wheels with dura ace hubs and aerohead rims. the set weighs around 1400g and cost me a little under 500g. if you're less then 180 lbs and not dropping stairs a wheel set like this is plenty strong. A WHEELSET THAT WEIGHS LESS THAN 1 AEROSPOKE AND IS STRONG ENOUGH FOR HARD RIDING CAN BE BOUGHT FOR JUST A LITTLE MORE MONEY THAN 1 AEROSPOKE. a hed 3 clincher is 820g which is about average for most spoked wheels with mid to low profile rims.
    • CommentAuthorazsteve
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008

New to the velospace, been riding for almost 3 years. In that 3 years I have gone through more wheel sets than I can remember. Last week my beloved Campy Zonda rear wheel let go a 3 inch crack, good news is that its under warranty. But, the wheel search continues. I like the HED 3 but wonder if it would be appropriate for everyday riding for a 280lbs guy who climbs every ride. I like the Aerospoke but even at my weight I feel the weight of the wheels and the Aerospokes sound heavy to me. HED doesn't respond to email.

I ride a Cannondale Six13 and a CAAD 8 and have gone through Mavics, Prolites, Alex rims and now Campy Zondas. I had a set of 36 spoke Mavic Open Pros/Ultegra built and can't keep them true and they weigh a ton.
    • CommentAuthorK3NNY
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008

Steve if your Open Pros already weigh a ton AND you can't keep them true I would suggest an Aerospoke wheelset. I have only trashed 2 old tubular rims they were light as heck but weak as crap. I rode a front Aerospoke it is really heavy but it's a study wheel and it looks decently cool. Now I have a Hed 3 I have yet to ride it but it looks like it is going to be soo much fun to ride it. Once I get my frame and build it up I can compare my experience between the Hed and an Aerospoke.
    I'd suggest keep the open pro setup and keep trying to lose weight because aerospokes are just going to blow. 280 pounds is a LOT of weight to be pushing on. Run higher pressure, wider tires, talk to tandem guys.
    • CommentAuthorkEwLiKdaT
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

after riding on my aerospoke for about 3 months now i have learned to deal with its weight. It really is a decent amount heavier than a deep v laced to formulas. However i did notice the aerodynamics at certain speeds. Also, this wheel is extreamly durable. Other than it's weight, i would recommend getting one if you are considering it as your first aerodynamic wheel and don't have enough cash to dish out on a Hed3. Hed 3s are ridiculously lighter but im just a little scared of its durability since i beat up my bike.
    Ive never owned a HED3, I might someday for a track bike, maybe my road bikes. On the other hand I did jump on the aerospoke bandwagon, just to see what the hype was all about. Well needless to say, I did not stick with them long, they are so ridiculous heavy compared to any other wheelset I have ever owned, yes I could see some aerodynamic out of them, but not enough for them to keep around for a long time, and going up hills wasnt cutting it anymore. So my opinion is stick with spoked wheels, way lighter, and easier to maintain and true and or fix.....
    • CommentAuthorPresident
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

I have a question for aerospoke rims. Is it best to put the rim up front or the rear? What is the difference?
    • CommentAuthorkEwLiKdaT
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited

There is a difference in putting the aerospoke in either the front or the back. As K3NNY stated earlier putting the aerospoke in the front makes your bike more aerodynamic since that is that wheel that is going to be doing the "cutting" while the rear wheel is going to be in the draft area. So, if you want to actually put use to your aerospoke put it in the front. Putting the aerospoke in the back is primarily for looks. I mean yeah like i said earlier it is far more durable so since your power is coming off of the rear it can withstand the force but it doesnt get any aerodynamics. Plus, from what i have read and heard from friends is that riding the aero in the back tends to make it a little harder to skid since there is more weight in the rear and it drags. Don't get me wrong, an aerospoke in the rear looks sick but that is all that its for "LOOKS" so if you want to actually use it put it in the front. But make sure that you put the aerospoke on the correct way with the fatter part of the spokes in the front and also put your tires on the right way also.
    • CommentAuthorcarlcastro
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

+1 with putting it up front and getting the rotation right on the wheel. I like to check out people's aerospokes to see if they have the wheel on the right way.
    ^^^

Ha. I've put my Aerospoke on wrong before. *hangs head in shame*

Last group ride, I was running late. So when I got to the meeting point, I pulled my bike out of my car, threw my front wheel on, and went looking for my friends.

The next day, I realized that in my rush, I had put my wheel on backwards.

I'm an idiot. But I won't make that mistake again.
    • CommentAuthordas_pyrate
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

this thread is way old guys

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.