velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Both are very popular fixie framesets rode by tons of you guys on and off the track. Both are about the same price, but of course totally different bikes. Which do you prefer and why?
    bareknuckle. its steel which makes it more comfortable and more durable.
    Steel is real.

Aluminum = Kidney surgery

Steel = Happy riders
    I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to have something lighter than my Pake, so was going towards the Concept...but the BK seems more practical for street riding also.
    Yeah, Bareknucles are most likely going to be tougher.
    the frame weight doesnt matter so much as the weight of your wheels does. if you shave weight there you'll really notice a difference
    I'm sure it matters most on the rims/tires, rather than the hubs, right?

I've never really been THAT concerned with having a light bike, but I think if we could, we would all like to have ours lighter. Even if it does not make riding more efficient...it makes your bike easier to carry up tons of steps and such.

I went for the Bareknuckle frame because I got a really good deal on it, and could not be more pleased with it.

• CommentAuthorjerome
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2008

get the bareknuckle
    If that is your bike, then I want it. Looks like Deep Vs laced to Profiles. Mmmmmmmmmmm. I like.
    Yeah, I love the wheels. Purple Profiles laced to matte black V's with purple spoke nipples that seem to light up when riding. Haha.

When they come up on Ebay, you can usually get them for a good price because not many people riding fixed are riding Profiles yet. Everyone goes for Phils for high end hubs, and the Profiles are just as good, but lighter.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008

the bareknuckle is nothing more than your run of the mill kilo tt . and the kilo is around 200 bucks . I cant believe people are paying what theyre paying for a bareknuckle . The pista concept is a amazing bike, but yeah , you do feel more of the bumps on an aluminum frame. You can compensate with a carbon fork , which it comes with ,and carbon seatpost and a nice saddle . BUT, the concept is made at the same factories that mouth, fuji, leader, and so on are made at now , so just save your money and buy a fuji track pro . Ive owned both and , if anything, the fuji was better constructed.
    that is so wrong, the kilo tt is made with standard no-name 4130 chromoly in china and the bareknuckle is made with a dedacci tube set in italy. the ride is totaly different a much better quality than either of the aluminum bikes you just named
    I'd say that the right decision was made with the Bareknuckle, it's a nice frame and it won't rape you over expansion joints like a pista concept would.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008

the kilo is made with reynolds 520

the kilo tt frame is actually pretty good, the bare knuckle is probably slightly better but close

the price difference is not close

the pista concept is superior, but i would rather have steel
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008 edited

another thing, when you start approaching the price of the BK, i don't get why people don't just buy a sweet classic frame

or even a used njs frame cost about the same

i'd rather have the classic frame or a keirin frame than a $700-$800 bk, not that the bk is a bad frame, i just don't get it maybe i'm too old to get it
    Yeah, I think they are over priced, the BK frames. But I was able to pick mine up a good price for the frame/fork/headset/stem/bars...so .

And I've rode a Kilo TT frame, and the Bareknuckle is totally different. Much stiffer, much lighter, more track geometry, and better quality tubing. Does that warrent the price difference? I don't know.

I could NOT pick up a NJS frame now for the price I got the BK for. And also, I don't think it looks good to build a old lugged track frame with new parts like deep-V's, profile hubs and such. They look best when built with same era parts.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah

the new EAI Toyo looks pretty nice, nice cratfsmanship

pricey though for what it is, i think
    • CommentAuthorK3NNY

Posted By: deermattthe bareknuckle is nothing more than your run of the mill kilo tt . and the kilo is around 200 bucks . I cant believe people are paying what theyre paying for a bareknuckle . The pista concept is a amazing bike, but yeah , you do feel more of the bumps on an aluminum frame. You can compensate with a carbon fork , which it comes with ,and carbon seatpost and a nice saddle . BUT, the concept is made at the same factories that mouth, fuji, leader, and so on are made at now , so just save your money and buy a fuji track pro . Ive owned both and , if anything, the fuji was better constructed.

Exactly!!! All those frames look very similar but yet people say one is better than the other. I bought a Leader frame and with the money I saved by not buying a concept I just bought better components carbon fork, high end Fi'zik saddle, Carbon rim, blahh blahhh. I used to have a steel frame and it rode very nice but it was two small, when I build up my Leader I can tell you how it compares to my old frame (size difference not withstanding).
    you cant really tell the quality of a brand new bike by its looks, there are too many other factors that go into making a good bike. for example, if you compare two identical looking bikesbuilt with different tube sets and manufacturers with one with the better manufacturer/ tube set will be a better bike and also more expensive, what is it that people dont understand?
    Well, all bikes of the same type (say, track bikes) look pretty similar. Just like how all BMX frames can look alike to someone that is not educated about them.

They all have a headtube, top tube, down tube, rear triangle, dropouts (track ends), blah blah blah. But they are all different!

It's things like the type of metal used and the treatment done to that metal. How thin the metal is. How the welds are done. The consistency in the quality, and sooooo much more. It all affect the weight, stiffness, strength, etc.

I guess lots of people just look at the surface and say, oh since they all look similar...they ARE all the same frame, just with a different name.

And not that a Leader is a bad frame (I cannot say if it is or not), but it always blows my mind when I see a low quality cheap frame...with all high end parts on it! IF you are going to get all those expensive parts, put them on a expensive frame. It goes both ways however, because I see people with expensive nice frames...but with all low-end parts. Of course, for many people, building up a high end bike takes time and it's easier to start replacing little parts first, rather than jumping up to a expensive frame.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.