velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey guys. I have a Bridgestone Track Bike that is 54cm. It fits me perfect. Half an inch below the goods. I'm looking to buy a road bike (older like Raleigh Technium) but confused about sizing. I know track bike BB's are higher off the ground so what size should I be leaning toward with a road bike. I'm looking at a 56cm right now. Please help. I'm 5'8 with 31" inseam BTW.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009

Hmm...I wished I had a track bike to compare...and to just ride. All I can tell you is that I have a 54cm frame that fits me pretty well and I'm 5'4 with a 30" inseam. You could probably go a little bigger but it would be best if you checked it at a shop or a friend with a ride bike.
    • CommentAuthorMANchild
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009

Honestly there is no way to 'guestimate' proper size. Stand-over height and seat-tube length are 2 very different measurements. Your maximum stand over height will not change regardless of the type of frame, unless you are riding in platform shoes. The seat tube length has more to do with getting a comfortable riding position. Try out some older road frames with a horizontal top tube and 700c wheels or go to a bike shop and test ride a bike or two or go super technical and get fitted on one of those 'frame size' jigs that are available at some pro shops. Other than that it's just a best guess, and most likely even if the frame size is a little off you can compensate with a seat-post and stem and maybe don't stand over the top tube with the frame perfectly vertical if it's slightly too big. At least a fist-full of seat post above a horizontal top tube would be minimum. From my experience if you are not riding down in the drops you can get away with a lot of variation in size. If I'm riding a track bike with flat bars, risers or bull horns I can be comfortable on a 51-57cm seat tube length c-c. For riding down in the drops I need a 55-57cm c-c to be comfortable.

In general a road frame with a horizontal top tube will be slightly larger than a track frame with a horizontal top tube. Assuming you have adjusted the saddle height properly and there is enough room between the saddle and top tube to ride 'out of the saddle', a comfortable 'fit' will involve not being too stretched out or cramped when holding on to the bars, as well as not being too hunched over when in the drops. Thats my experience anyway FWIW.
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

Road 54 or 55 c/t seat tube.

Track may be 53 for you.

I will look back on here later. Im out in the cold typing this.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

The road frame would be bigger because it has more drop to the bottom bracket. What is more important is top tube length.
    How much lower is the BB on a road compared to a track frame. I think I would have a better idea like that. The 54cm Bridgestone Track Top Tube fits right below the goods. That's why I want to make sure
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: eddie_el_neneHow much lower is the BB on a road compared to a track frame.

It Depends on the Frame!

no one can tell you exactly how xyz will fit you, you need to go try some frames--everyone is different. posing answerable questions will help your cause. like "what is the standover height on xyz?"

or better yet, GOOGLE IT!

Im asking cuz I don't know so thank you

• CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

there is a point where you are going to have to put a little foot work into this. these are the kind of questions that don't work well on forums. don't worry about bb height at this point. if you are worried about racking yourself then you need to worry about standover height, which is measured the same way for all bikes, regardless of geometry.

Posted By: MANchildYour maximum stand over height will not change regardless of the type of frame

Posted By: MANchildTry out some older road frames with a horizontal top tube and 700c wheels or go to a bike shop and test ride a bike or two or go super technical and get fitted on one of those 'frame size' jigs that are available at some pro shops.
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

Don't be an ass dude. He's asking a question. I swear I thought this site was different from the others, I hope this site doesn't turn into one of those core group of people being assholes to everyone else sites. This is a cool site, don't ruin it for everyone else. With such a large group of bike enthusiasts on here, there is always going to be a differences in opinions, preferences and knowledge. I'm sure at one point you didn't know everything and you had to ask questions, I'm sure you didn't know everything about bikes like you do now... because obviously you know everything.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited

Gentlemen, what say we cool it on the gratuitous bolding? None of us is right often enough to afford the moral luxury of shouting at people.

EDIT: Dammit, I can't find the open tag. Kids, if you don't know how to use HTML tags, leave them alone.

eddie, do us all a favor: edit your post just above this one, and take out the <b> right after
    thank you
    , so that all this utterly unnecessary bolding will stop.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

Posted By: wangjingbo

And you need to go away entirely.
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

agreed, wangjingbo, you should really stop.
    I see both tags closed... That's odd.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: suicide_doorsI see both tags closed... That's odd.

I think the syntax is off; the tags aren't nested properly, and they're overlapping. Not to mention the fact that, except for the <h1></h1> tags, none of the various formatting tags enclose any content, so they serve no constructive purpose.
    <h1 ><b >Im asking cuz I don't know so thank you<b ><h1 ></b></b></h1></h1>
    So you are seeing everything past his post using the heading tag, or the bold tag?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: suicide_doorsSo you are seeing everything past his post using the heading tag, or the bold tag?

I had missed that second <h1> tag, so now I'm not sure what the villain is. At this point, I suspect the heading tags are all closed, since the text seems like it's just a bolded version of the standard-size text font. In that case, it would be an open <b> tag, that for some reason those of us further down the thread can't close.

Multiple nested formatting tags are not the greatest idea, and maybe Vanilla doesn't handle them so well.
    I'm seeing everything as normal. Perhaps you have a confused browser?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: suicide_doorsI'm seeing everything as normal. Perhaps you have a confused browser?

It actually looks as if standards-strict browsers (Safari 4, iCab 4) interpret the bolding as continuing for the remainder of the thread for Post #7 on, while rules-breaking browsers (Firefox 3, Camino, Opera) display all text after Post #7 in plain text.

Sheesh.

We now return you to your track-bike-relevant discussion.
    Standards, schmandards.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.