velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormmediaman
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009

What do you see in the racks next to your bike every morning? Lately I've been noticing more and more crappy department store mtn bikes as the weather grew colder, but today I saw an abundance of old electroforged 60's schwinn varsity and continentals around town today. I found this odd because my daily beater now is a red schwinn continental (fixed gear with BRAKES!)

But what are the popular bikes in the wild where you guys are riding?
    I don't think I see more of one thing than another. I guess if I were to lump all Y frame bikes into a single category, I see more of them than most everything else. I see a lot of extra cycles and Long Haul Truckers, a lot of custom Co-Motion bikes (they're a local builder). I was seeing a lot of fixed a few years ago, less so now.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

At my college (in Santa Cruz, CA) the most popular bike has got to be the "I stole my dads early 90's mountain bike because it goes up the mountain easier than my beach cruiser" bike. Some people have really cool oldschool rigid rockhoppers and stuff like that. In my hometown (San Jose, CA) the most popular bike is either the "illegal immigrant toys r us bmx with 4 pegs and mag rims" or the "I stole my dads p.o.s. 10 speed and turned it into a bigger p.o.s. fixed gear and now Im gonna skid through the crosswalk" bike.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Yeah thats pretty much all I see. And no, they have not unionized but they certainly have taken over
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

oh and this. i think they are more organized.

• CommentAuthorMancha150

Try and skid stop with that beast. you dont even have to lock it up because people are too scared to steal it and ride it. well unless there are jugs with it, because those are like 80 pesos each
    Mostly see road bikes around here, not much fixed going on. But like suicide said, not really seeing alot of the same thing, there is a wide variety of good stuff going on around here!!
    • CommentAuthorquidose
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009

Haha, I'm so glad you participated in this thread, Mancha. Thanks for the images.
    • CommentAuthorChipp

i see far more trick fixed gear bikes, than track bikes
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009 edited

There's a huge number of non-ridden mtbs here primarily because when you find a place to ride them, you can't ride them there when the weather gets anything but dry.. too much greasy clay that you either go down in or can't ride it because it clings to your tires and after 50 feet you can't even roll it, but have to pick it up and carry it.. The bikes that are ridden in my area are road bikes with as smattering of hybrids and touring rigs. Trek seems tor rule here.. Used to be Schwinn.

Track bikes? What are track bikes? I don't even know where there's a velodrome around here.. Chi town is probably the closest at 250 miles... The only fixed gear bikes you see are at your local bike shop.
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

Only unicycles around here, we've got good balance around these parts.

But on a serious note, we have a mix of bikes but most people have the department mountain bikes. That doesn't really apply to people who ride for fun though, most people who ride for fun have road bikes and fixed gears.
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki

black and puerto rican or mexican kids on bmx (not doing tricks - just cruising around)
    dudes on rusty department store mountain bikes
    white commuters on janky cruisers and road bikes from the 70s or 80s
    yuppies on hybrids
    fair weather weekenders on hybrids or mountain bikes
    roadies in full lycra cutting through traffic
    commuter freds in safety vests and more lights than ufos on cx bikes, hybrids, or mountain bikes.
    hipsters on fixed or ss bikes
    and the occasional cx or shiny rando bike that really stands out.

but once the cold weather comes, only the hardcore stick around.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

the neighborhood i live in is like rich WASP paradise, so:
    lot of middle aged guys (and gals) on full carbon orbeas and pinarellos with matching kits.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

Its like attack of the hour's and kilo's around savannah.
    • CommentAuthordmdeford

I see a lot of thrift store bikes with bum bars, or hybrids are pretty popular too.
    Posted By: Aaron Cthe neighborhood i live in is like rich WASP paradise, so:
    lot of middle aged guys (and gals) on full carbon orbeas and pinarellos with matching kits.

This was what I saw in LA. Shit was ridiculous.
    • CommentAuthorGone

In Montreal it's Marinoni's. They are all over the place.
    Those 200-250 dollar shitty Torker(Spelling??) SWEET FIXIES. They look so incredibly ghetto.
    • CommentAuthorRasmus

From Copenhagen, Denmark... So... see this guys flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16nine/sets/72157594400316816/
    36% of the people from Copenhagen take their bike to work or whatever... I ride in the carlane ;)
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

Surrounding neighborhoods and miramar lake you'll find a bunch of road bikes and hybrids, this is generally the older crowd. There are tons of off road trails in every county and epecially the penasquitos preserve, so around here so you'll get some nice mountain bikes, generally around the ages group of 20-late 30's. If you head out 15 min to pacific beach, ocean beach, or any of the other beach communities you'll find a million cruisers, I tell ya during the summer that's the place to be. So many gorgeous college girls in bikini's cruising down the boardwalk, it's like nobody even owns a car and no one bothers to put cloths on because the beach is right there. Downtown San Diego and Northpark/Southpark areas you'll see a ton of fixed gear/bmx riders witch pretty much spans the younger crowd.

God I love where I live.

Oh yeah, if you head towards the night club area of downtown SD the Gaslamp, you'll see all the bikers that take you from club to club for a fee. The ride bikes with a cab built into the back that usually sits 4. Some of them are pretty crazy looking with their neon lights and sound systems. Must be a great workout because the female bike cabs have great legs and a nice as*es.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.