velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Phil Wood offer bottom brackets in 3 materials: Steel, Ti, and Ti-Mag.

The difference between the steel and ti is $50. Is buying up to a ti bottom bracket worth the added strength?
    No!
    No, no, no, no, no. Titanium is used in bike components for its strength to weight ratio, not its strength alone. The reason to buy titanium parts is weight savings, not strength. The weight saved by going from steel to ti is 130g, or about 4.5 ounces. That's less than the weight of two Snickers bars. Your bike will not benefit, your pedaling will be no different, and the BB will not wear out differently. Unless your bike is made out of carbon fiber and the entire setup weighs 10.24 lbs, you don't need anything made out of titanium.

OK?
    Allow me to reiterate:

Again:

Once more:

Peter, if you ignore my advice on this (as you have done countless times in the past), I am going to stop trying to help you and start giving you the most backward ass, horrible, dead wrong advice I can think of from now on. Get it?

oh i accidentally in the thread
    (There's no such thing as "strength", really. There's strength:weight, which is what Suicide's talking about. For instance, aluminum isn't weaker than steel. It's weaker per unit of mass. And that's still a broad generalization. There are several definitions of strength that don't follow each other.)
    Funny, you looked up "no" on Google Image too, eh? I tried to choose the most obvious, direct ones I could find. There were a lot which didn't make much sense.
    Man, I really hope he get's what your saying. Maybe we need more NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in here!!!
    • CommentAuthoriron jaiden
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009 edited

• CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

beater_peter_fix:

it'll make you so much faster, the titanium will make it spin buttery smooth. S_D doesn't know what he's taking about. besides then you would have no excuse not to eat that extra snickers bar!

Have your snickers and eat it too! isn't that worth $50?
    I missed you Aaron, don't go away for long periods again, ok?
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: suicide_doorsI missed you Aaron, don't go away for long periods again, ok?

i feel a little out of the loop with all the yellow threads on the forum page. usually i am current on all of them... sad but true
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: Aaron CHave your snickers and eat it too!

Hungry? Why wait?

I have a feeling any advice given to this guy will fall upon deaf ears.
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

Now I want a Snickers....
    Hey peter, no.
    • CommentAuthorxhzzyx

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.