velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009

I'm riding from the shop at night, Can you recommend some lights !!!
    • CommentAuthorChipp

planet bike. real bright and annoying. soo good. knog makes some good stuff too. just get lights with more than one LED.
    • CommentAuthorsoulbyte

I use two 1/2 watt Blaze's by Planet Bike in the front and us 1 superflash in the rear by the same company.
    i see too many people without lights. if a car hit them, i would not be surprised. nor would i feel sorry. thanks for knowing the importance of a light.
    I recommend a Tail light from BlackBurn. For a front light, I would go with a tactical style light or something with a CREE LED. A LOT of cyclists including myself have the LD20 light by Fenix Lights. It has 6 modes including Turbo Mode = 180 Lumens and a Strobe mode as well. You can find it on Ebay for about $53 with free S&H. IT takes 2x AA batteries, very common. Also gives you wide range of AA's

www.fenixlight.com
    • CommentAuthorbugmcw
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009

Posted By: lickedwickedi see too many people without lights. if a car hit them, i would not be surprised. nor would i feel sorry. thanks for knowing the importance of a light.

wow that is an aggressive statement. you would even feel bad? what if that guy HATES riding at night and never does it except for this one time and it was because he was feeding the hungry on thanksgiving and it ran late.... then he got hit by a car on the way home, you wouldn't feel bad then?

you sir are a moron.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

I suppose that it would depend upon whether you are in the city and need to be seen or in the dark and need to see. Two completely different lighting requirements.
    The Fleas and smaller LED lights are great for being seen in a city environment, but other than front and back you need to be seen from the side also. I would suggest some pretty powerful multi-LED lights or halogen (10-20 watt) headlights for night riding where you have to see. I prefer the halogen headlight(s). In both circumstances I also have a steady and a flashing tail light, reflective vest, flashing lights (LED) that strap on my upper left arm and a reflective band for both left ankle and left wrist. Take a look at the bar end LED lights that fit in your handle bars also. You can't have enough lighting in a battlefield. If I get hit, it won't be for lack of visability.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Posted By: lickedwickedi see too many people without lights. if a car hit them, i would not be surprised. Thanks for knowing the importance of a light.

Posted By: bugmcw
    What if that guy HATES riding at night and never does it except for this one time and it was because he was feeding the hungry on thanksgiving and it ran late.... then he got hit by a car on the way home, you wouldn't feel bad then?

Yup, I'd feel bad for a second and then I'd remember that if he were prepared to be riding and had a clue that he were going to be out even approaching sundown that he SHOULD HAVE BEEN PREPARED. I cannot believe the number of riders (won't even call them cyclists) that on a daily basis around the university district here that ride without lights. Even being as "bike aware" as I am, they appear out of nowhere and don't adhere to any kind of law. Maybe they have reflectors, but most do not. When I almost get into an accident with another rider because I don't see them and I'm running 20-25 mph, I get extremely pissed-off.. There is NO excuse not to be prepared if you use a bike as transportation. They give the rest of us who are doing all the right stuff a bad name because we are grouped with those that aren't. They're going so far as to introduce legislation right now that restricts ALL bicycles from the secondary roads and streets which will keep us on the gravel roads. It's because of all the freds out there that aren't riding properly.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

I never thought I'd be riding at night... but now I am. Time to get prepared !!! Drivers are busy in there phones, not looking in the other direction, talking to their passenger. I'm disgusted !!!
    • CommentAuthormuschology
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited

Honestly, I see a disturbing amount of cyclists talking on their phones while riding anymore. I don't get it. Especially when it's people that look like they can barely control their bike with BOTH hands, let alone one and a very important cell call about which guy Suzy hooked up with at the party last night.

A couple months ago I saw a girl talking on her phone and trying to put her backpack on while wobble-riding down a busier street. I thought of yelling at her, causing her to drop her phone, but decided against it when I figured she fall in front of me...
    I use one of these on the front. On the back, I've got a Planet Bike red flasher.

Whenever I'm in dim conditions, I set the headlight to blink so drivers can see me. In dark conditions, I set it to steady so I can see other stuff.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009

Hat with 5 LED's mounted.
    See, the thing is, if I wore that, I'd have to be prepared to wear a T-shirt that says, "IT'S NOT FAT — IT'S A FUEL TANK FOR A SEX MACHINE" and drink Bud Light while admiring a compound bow recommended by Ted Nugent, spending my days imagining using it to shoot the Soviet Army when they invade our soil, only to be turned back by my fellow true American football team and their toothless girlfriends.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Haaa ha aha
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: LyKqiD
    Hat with 5 LED's mounted.

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanSee, the thing is, if I wore that, I'd have to be prepared to wear a T-shirt that says, "IT'S NOT FAT — IT'S A FUEL TANK FOR A SEX MACHINE" and drink Bud Light while admiring a compound bow recommended by Ted Nugent, spending my days imagining using it to shoot the Soviet Army when they invade our soil, only to be turned back by my fellow true American football team and their toothless girlfriends.

And the Nicaraguans; never forget the Nicaraguans...

It's also got the basic baseball cap problem: The brim is too long. It cuts all the overhead light out of your field of vision; good for baseball, but bad for cycling, where overhead light (either from the sun, or from moon+streetlamps) illuminates road hazards.

I never understood the practical logic of soft, short-brimmed caps until I started riding; I just thought it was an affectation. Now I ride with a cap under my helmet as a matter of course. The soft brim means I can flip it up when I need more overhead light. I never need the brim to be longer.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_41&products_id=155

Or if you have a commute longer than 40 minutes or just want to not have to charge it every time....

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_41&products_id=138

ALL the lights mentioned in this thread are shit compared to these... sorry its the truth. I bought a $500 light (NiteFlux Photon Max Extreme-1350 Lumens)... 2 Of these would be just as bright for less than 40% of the price.
    • CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009 edited

Posted By: bugmcw
    Posted By: lickedwickedi see too many people without lights. if a car hit them, i would not be surprised. nor would i feel sorry. thanks for knowing the importance of a light.

wow that is an aggressive statement. you would even feel bad? what if that guy HATES riding at night and never does it except for this one time and it was because he was feeding the hungry on thanksgiving and it ran late.... then he got hit by a car on the way home, you wouldn't feel bad then?

you sir are a moron.
    walk the bike. i don't care what he does or how high is karma is. i could get hurt running into him. it doesn't matter what his excuse is, somebody will get hurt and i don't want that to be me.
    • CommentAuthorsibkis
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009

I do most of my night riding during the winter. IMHO have found that the Cat Eye
    530 is the best value for the money. It puts out over 1500 candlepower from a
    single bright white LED. I put in 4 rechargeble AA batteries and carry a spare set
    of duracells for backup. It allows you to actually see when riding as well as be
    seen! Great for commuting but it puts out a narrow beam which allows you to
    see far ahead but not much on the sides. Not a good light for trail riding
    where you also need width.

It is on sale at Lickbike for 39.95 and sells elsewhere for 60:
    http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='3322-00'

Here are two good reviews of the Cat Eye EL530:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/LS296A20-Cateye+El530+Led+Headlight.aspx

The Niterider MINEWT.X2 is highly rated and puts out more and wider light but
    is a lot more expensive:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/LS306A04-Niterider+Minewtx2.aspx?sc=FRGL

This 140 price at Jenson is about 50 less than elsewhere.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.