velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorDoanut
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009

Hey does anyones Akiles tendon ever hurt after a long ride? Mines freaking killing me, wtf is the problem?
    Take some Aleve and rest. Don't go running, jumping, biking, or stretching while it still hurts. It may be your Achilles, it may not be, but don't make whatever it is worse because you didn't bother to take care of yourself.

Now then, it sounds like you have a bad fit somewhere. Most of the time pain in that area has to do with the saddle being too high, causing the rider to toe the pedal all the way through the stroke. It could also be that your foot position is too far back. Try moving your foot further forward in the pedal, or moving your saddle further back.

Don't ride or stretch until the pain is gone, you'll make it worse. Once you get riding again, stretch first, especially when it is cold.
    • CommentAuthorDoanut

THanks, it's been a week and it's good now, gonna go on another ride tonight and test out different saddle positions...
    • CommentAuthorChipp

possibly from your saddle being too high?
    Just take it slow and pay attention if it starts to hurt. You don't have a backup achilles'.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsDon't ride or stretch until the pain is gone, you'll make it worse. Once you get riding again, stretch first, especially when it is cold.
    This^^^^^ Its the same as running, if you dont stretch before hand, you are going to be sore as all get out
    I've never seen any information other than conventional wisdom that says to stretch before exercising. Stretching after seems very good, though.

Like, this article says to at least warm up before stretching.

My PT has given me a bunch of stretches for a fucked up knee. I stretch often, but it's way easier if I've just gotten back from a ride.
    Yes the ideal way of stretching is, do a slight warm up(if running I always did close to a mile warm up), then stretched, did my work out(running, cycling, or whatever), then after stretched again. Sometimes still hurt like hell, but not as bad as if I didnt follow the routine.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Achilles?
    • CommentAuthorDoanut
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009

LOL, yeah achilles... it was the saddle height, for sure.. i dropped it about a cm and was good to go.. now i just need to get in better shape for those hill climbs..
    You might want to use a fit calculator. Wrench Science has worked fine for me.
    • CommentAuthorDoanut

it confuses me, i already did it..
    Ha, what confuses you?
    • CommentAuthorDoanut

Inseam: 28
    Trunk: 26.5
    Forearm: 14
    Arm: 26.5
    Thigh: 22.5
    Lower Leg: 19.5
    Sternal Notch: 55
    Total Body Height: 68.5

The Competitive Fit (cm)
    -------------------------------------------
    Seat tube range c-c: 46.0 - 46.5
    Seat tube range c-t: 47.5 - 48.0
    Top tube length: 55.9 - 56.3
    Stem Length: 11.2 - 11.8
    BB-Saddle Position: 60.6 - 62.6
    Saddle-Handlebar: 53.6 - 54.2
    Saddle Setback: 2.4 - 2.8

The Eddy Fit (cm)
    -------------------------------------------
    Seat tube range c-c: 47.2 - 47.7
    Seat tube range c-t: 48.7 - 49.2
    Top tube length: 55.9 - 56.3
    Stem Length: 10.1 - 10.7
    BB-Saddle Position: 59.8 - 61.8
    Saddle-Handlebar: 54.4 - 55.0
    Saddle Setback: 3.6 - 4.0

all of it..
    You must have screwed that up, otherwise you have some crazy proportions.
    Try the WS calculator, but make sure you have someone else measure you.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

According to those measuremets you have tiny legs and a huge upper body, and you probably need a custom frame. If thats not the case then something went wrong.
    Ugh. That's really hard to use.

I like BikeCad. Click the icon on the right, the guy with his arm out.
    • CommentAuthorDoanut
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009

i do have really short legs and a longer torso.. FML..
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but another possibility is that you might be ankling -- "changing the angle of the foot fairly drastically during the course of the pedal stroke, so that the toe is pointed upward at the top of the stroke, and downward at the bottom," as Sheldon writes. Possible symptoms? Achilles tendon pain.
    Try again with BikeCad and see if your measurements make a frame that looks normal.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.